Football 2022/23

charlierc

17 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

A friend is a Liverpool season ticket holder and said he just wasn’t putting in any effort before the World Cup. He thought he was so scared of missing another major international tournament.

He hasn't put much effort in after.

15 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

A friend is a Liverpool season ticket holder and said he just wasn’t putting in any effort before the World Cup. He thought he was so scared of missing another major international tournament.

Seems like they found something in the end. Much as a few people are willing to blame Xhaka for poking the bear.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:42 PM, thetime said:

Something would be serious wrong with Newcastle or United if they don't get top 4. Spurs have a rough month ahead, you got to think going into the last 4 games spurs will be trailing by at least 6 points to 4th place. 

Even Brighton have to go to Arsenal, spurs and Chelsea and also to play utd. 

Everything is going the way of the 2 uniteds really, with liverpool and Chelsea so far of the mark.

Spurs still have to play both Newcastle and Man United, so in theory it could still see them claw their way back into this fight. Even if they seemed lucky to beat Brighton judging by the Seagulls getting yet another PGMOL apology for decisions going against them.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Spurs still have to play both Newcastle and Man United, so in theory it could still see them claw their way back into this fight. Even if they seemed lucky to beat Brighton judging by the Seagulls getting yet another PGMOL apology for decisions going against them.

Personally can't see spurs playing Newcastle and Liverpool away, united at home in 7 days and getting substantial points. Plus Newcastle and United having a game in hand as well. 

10 hours ago, thetime said:

Personally can't see spurs playing Newcastle and Liverpool away, united at home in 7 days and getting substantial points. Plus Newcastle and United having a game in hand as well. 

One of those things imo. I won't feel comfortable that Newcastle are definitely gonna be in the Champions League for the first time in 20 years until it's signed, sealed and delivered. And even then, it may well be the first game in the group stage where I feel comfortable acknowledging it's happening for real.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

One of those things imo. I won't feel comfortable that Newcastle are definitely gonna be in the Champions League for the first time in 20 years until it's signed, sealed and delivered. And even then, it may well be the first game in the group stage where I feel comfortable acknowledging it's happening for real.

If it happens they'll fuck it up.

Liverpool not signing a midfielder for what feels like 17 years as we're waiting for Bellingham, to then deciding we can't afford him (as we knew all along) and looking for cheaper options is the most FSG thing FSG have ever done.

Rumours of Mount being one of our top targets which I think could be a great signing.

To be fair to FSG, the business plan that they bought Liverpool for and implemented probably doesn't exist anymore. You now need to be sponsored by a Petro state (or the Spanish government) to compete for tier 1 players.

It leaves Liverpool fans praying for an owner of the type they've been bashing City for for the last few seasons or hoping Klopp can work miracles year after year..

Edited by lost

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

Doesn't feel very smart selling Mane for 35m and buying nunez for 85m.

true, tho that might work out ok, depending how nunez goes.

and i was surprised they kept mane as long as they did.

On 4/10/2023 at 10:06 PM, Neil said:

If it happens they'll fuck it up.

Well we can't fuck up any worse than in 2003/04 when we were knocked out of the Champions League in the play-offs by Partizan Belgrade.

Not least given the English qualifiers for the Champions League go directly into the group stage now.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:08 PM, thetime said:

Doesn't feel very smart selling Mane for 35m and buying nunez for 85m.

Mane might well be back on the market at this rate given Bayern don't seem that impressed by him even before reports he's been suspended for a fight in the dressing room after their demolition by Man City in the Champions League on Tuesday.

59 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well we can't fuck up any worse than in 2003/04 when we were knocked out of the Champions League in the play-offs by Partizan Belgrade.

Not least given the English qualifiers for the Champions League go directly into the group stage now.

Tough game at villa for Newcastle at the weekend, no team in better form outside city and arsenal. 

On 4/13/2023 at 7:19 PM, thetime said:

Tough game at villa for Newcastle at the weekend, no team in better form outside city and arsenal. 

Indeed. Villa's form has been quite remarkable, and I'm not expecting it to be like when we beat them 4-0 at St James' Park in their last game before Emery's arrival when they folded like a flimsy house of cards.

20 hours ago, charlierc said:

Indeed. Villa's form has been quite remarkable, and I'm not expecting it to be like when we beat them 4-0 at St James' Park in their last game before Emery's arrival when they folded like a flimsy house of cards.

Hmmm... called that it would be a tough one. I didn't call it as 3-0 defeat tough. I know we can't win them all, but still. Less than ideal.

Makes Spurs at home next Sunday somehow an even bigger game than it was beforehand, and it was already huge.

16 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I think Man United's season is over - Martinez out for the season, Varane & Rashford out for a few weeks - can't see us beating Brighton or Sevilla next week. Might hang on for 4th, but still got Tottenham & Brighton away, so even that looks dodgy!

That top four fight is a strange one, as all of ourselves, Man U and Spurs looked capable of dropping a bollock now and then. Villa and Brighton might well not be out of it just yet.

That game against Sevilla on Thursday as weird. Looked like Man Utd had it sewn up against a Sevilla team who have had a hard fall backwards in a y ear, and then suddenly in the final stages it all went wrong.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

That top four fight is a strange one, as all of ourselves, Man U and Spurs looked capable of dropping a bollock now and then. Villa and Brighton might well not be out of it just yet.

That game against Sevilla on Thursday as weird. Looked like Man Utd had it sewn up against a Sevilla team who have had a hard fall backwards in a y ear, and then suddenly in the final stages it all went wrong.

Massive defeat for spurs today, they need to get big wins in the next 3 games. Which I cant see, personally still think Newcastle and United are nailed on. 

By the end of April it will be pretty sorted. 

I bet villa wish they sacked Gerrard a bit earlier though.  

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Massive defeat for spurs today, they need to get big wins in the next 3 games. Which I cant see, personally still think Newcastle and United are nailed on. 

By the end of April it will be pretty sorted. 

I bet villa wish they sacked Gerrard a bit earlier though.  

Agreed. When they sacked Gerrard, Villa were 17th and looked like a squad set to be in the relegation battle, yet their form since January has been phenomenal. They suddenly look like a very good bet for a top six finish, and indeed, might have been in for a top 4 spot if the season was carrying on for more than 7 more games imo.

As it is, I think it's between Newcastle, Man U and Spurs for 3rd/4th. This was a golden chance for Spurs ahead of their trip to SJP next weekend and they blew it. If we assert ourselves properly, or at least have a similar performance to when we beat Spurs at their enormodome in October, it should fall our way. And that's even with a few players looking like the season is starting to catch up with them.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

As it is, I think it's between Newcastle, Man U and Spurs for 3rd/4th. This was a golden chance for Spurs ahead of their trip to SJP next weekend and they blew it. If we assert ourselves properly, or at least have a similar performance to when we beat Spurs at their enormodome in October, it should fall our way. And that's even with a few players looking like the season is starting to catch up with them.

Man Utd injuries are stacking up now, games catching up with them. So it's just getting over the line.

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Agreed. When they sacked Gerrard, Villa were 17th and looked like a squad set to be in the relegation battle, yet their form since January has been phenomenal. They suddenly look like a very good bet for a top six finish, and indeed, might have been in for a top 4 spot if the season was carrying on for more than 7 more games imo.

It’s funny how picking your manager based on his managerial achievements rather than his playing achievements gets better results!

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It’s funny how picking your manager based on his managerial achievements rather than his playing achievements gets better results!

Tbf I think Gerrard's achievements at Rangers were decent but I felt that made him more qualified for a Championship role than a Premier League one. Even then, however, Emery's work has been outstanding. I felt a good season at the point when they switched was midtable, yet they are a genuine challenger for Europe and might even still be a stronger name in top 4 contention if we still had 10+ games to go.

Wolves with Lopetegui also look better, if perhaps a bit more inconsistent (and punished by referees if some of his more conspiratorial comments are to be believed). Does all make next season quite interesting as well to see if these two tribes can make it work.

14 hours ago, thetime said:

Man Utd injuries are stacking up now, games catching up with them. So it's just getting over the line.

Yeah. At the end of a day, after last season's trainwreck at Old Trafford, top 4 and a trophy or two would still be excellent progress, though I think the increased amount of injuries is reducing the probability of a 2001 Liverpool-style EL-FAC-LC treble. But it is starting to get in an uncomfortable place, with a lot of injuries at the same time.

It does make todays game at Forest interesting given the patchwork nature up against a Forest side out of form and who still don't really seem to know a best eleven out of their 230 signings. But it does sound I think for both Uniteds that its just trying to get it over the line in imperfect circumstances.