Connect Festival

kingcrawler

I read an interview with Yannis where he said their R&L sets will be their only UK ones this summer, so if it’s not Foals or LCD then we’re nowhere near guessing them. 

There’s a rumour that Biffy Clyro are headlining Victorious on the same weekend as this, they’re probably a bit big and not an interesting booking for me at all but I could see it happening.

28 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

There’s a rumour that Biffy Clyro are headlining Victorious on the same weekend as this, they’re probably a bit big and not an interesting booking for me at all but I could see it happening.

That's just people wishing it into existence - theres no substance behind it i don't think

On 12/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, Chiefski said:

Been keeping a wee eye on whos playing around the time, would this be feasible?

Friday

Noel Gallagher / Primal Scream / Future Islands

Saturday

LCD Soundsystem / Yeah Yeah Yeahs / Young Fathers

Sunday

Foals / one of the below?* / Wet Leg

-----

Top line acts playing around the time I could see playing if not those above -

*Jamie XX, Bicep, Iggy Pop, Sigur Ros, Pixies, Jamie T

Others around that probably fit Connect -

The Snuts, Inhaler, Villagers, Jessie Ware, Amyl and the Sniffers, Les Savy Fav, Moderat, Los Bitchos

Little more progress. No Noel G either 

On 12/16/2022 at 6:54 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

(don't know about the other associated with him, only asked about him specifically)

Know of any other acts playing/far off on some of the above names? - edit, ignore 😅 just seen your other post

20 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

I can see Pixies as a headliner here. Biffy seem a bit big for it.

I'd love it tbf, even had the idea of them and Iggy on the same night as an old school kinda night

Edited by Chiefski

3 hours ago, jannybruck said:

They had their "late" (11pm!) license turned down, which is potentially why this is fairly late announcing.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/connect-festival-major-edinburgh-music-festival-loses-bid-to-extend-stage-times-over-noise-concerns-3959792

It was still dark for all of The National last year but pushing it back half an hour would mean the subs could play in darkness too. There’s not exactly loads of houses directly around the site either, it’s literally next to an airport. 

They wouldn’t headline but The Walkmen are playing in Portugal the week before this, get them booked. It’s a shame LCD won’t be playing as a New York day with them, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Walkmen would have been fantastic.

On 12/20/2022 at 1:17 PM, jannybruck said:

They had their "late" (11pm!) license turned down, which is potentially why this is fairly late announcing.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/connect-festival-major-edinburgh-music-festival-loses-bid-to-extend-stage-times-over-noise-concerns-3959792

Edinburgh council are honestly a joke. If they wanted a rugby match to finish at midnight with 60,000 punters they'd probably let it happen no bother. 

One interesting thing to note from that article though is the idea of 4 standalone concerts in addition to Connect with The Killers being one of them. 
Maybe the chances of one being Noel Gallagher and another being Florence and the Machine, are a bit higher with that info. 

Edited by chickenfire
spelling

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

That's the second of the supposed four gigs around the festival announced. I wonder if The Strokes are big enough to play a standalone gig or if they'd be better as a strong headliner for the festival itself?

Surely they can given they did TRNSMT? Its only 20k isn't it this venue?

Think they'd be more likely for the main fest - feel like theres not many suitable acts about and they'd help shift weekend tickets well

On 1/13/2023 at 9:11 AM, kingcrawler said:

That's the second of the supposed four gigs around the festival announced. I wonder if The Strokes are big enough to play a standalone gig or if they'd be better as a strong headliner for the festival itself?

I actually don't know about the gigs around it, but they're not at the festival. It'll take a fair amount of guessing the headliners. It's pretty out there

33 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I actually don't know about the gigs around it, but they're not at the festival. It'll take a fair amount of guessing the headliners. It's pretty out there

Interesting. I assume you won’t say anymore but any idea if announcement is soon?

I enjoyed the couple of days I went to last year so it was one I was keeping an eye on but ‘out there’ could suggest it might be different direction this year?

10 hours ago, arteet said:

Interesting. I assume you won’t say anymore but any idea if announcement is soon?

I enjoyed the couple of days I went to last year so it was one I was keeping an eye on but ‘out there’ could suggest it might be different direction this year?

Not a different direction as such, but tickets didn't sell brilliantly last year and it made a fair loss so would have been easy to go a lot more mainstream to try get more in. The plan is to extend the camping facility by a fair bit to make that a bigger option 

Line up fairly soon yeah, within the next few weeks I gather 

• 2 weeks later...

Noel Gallagher/Primal Scream/Happy Mondays just announced a Dublin gig the Sunday of this. The Strokes/Yeah Yeah Yeahs announced for APE on the Friday.

So for Connect I wouldn't be surprised to see Primal Scream or Noel on the Friday. Dance act (Fred Again seems like a good shout) on the Saturday. The Strokes Sunday. 

Aphex Twin would be an interesting one for this, but no idea if it's a big enough act or even close.

Noel was someone I mentioned a while back and I see no reason to think otherwise. I could actually see Primal Scream subbing here if they're looking to go bigger with the acts.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are still a decent shout somewhere on the bill, and again, looking to go bigger, The Strokes would be a good booking I think. Although based on nothing I don't think they'll play the festival, and will be one of the standalones with a good support.

5 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

Aphex Twin would be an interesting one for this, but no idea if it's a big enough act or even close.

Noel was someone I mentioned a while back and I see no reason to think otherwise. I could actually see Primal Scream subbing here if they're looking to go bigger with the acts.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are still a decent shout somewhere on the bill, and again, looking to go bigger, The Strokes would be a good booking I think. Although based on nothing I don't think they'll play the festival, and will be one of the standalones with a good support.

I would be fine with Connect just becoming All Points East North and having a Field Day type line up on one of the days. 
Agree though that I have no idea if Aphex Twin would be big enough to headline or would shift any tickets up here. 

1 hour ago, DomDom1984 said:

I said no to Noel a page or so back. None of YYYs, The Strokes or Aphex are playing here

One thing, I gather they're making 'improvements' this year. Know there was some discussion about stage placing and general co-ordination of site. It was also the plan is to increase the camping offering - it was pitched to me as room for multiple thousand to camp, but I'm unsure how that'll play out with the later licence being rejected because of noise complaints. 

Edited by Mezhyp1

So it will be the same site? I thought they were being a bit coy about not specifiying a location (apart from "Scotland") for 2023.

Disappointed about The Strokes, YYYs & Aphex. They're all a good fit and would draw a crowd. Fever Ray and Arca are also at Field Day and would be forward thinking bookings, although simultaneously would have almost no pulling power whatsoever in Scotland.

I'm baffled at names like Noel Gallacher and Biffy Clyro being mentioned here. Not sure what the point of this festival would be if they just book TRNSMT acts.

Edited by IAN9000