2023 Festival

TheWaters

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Wasn't KSI meant to headline MSW? What about him as the "cheap" British option?

Haha, had forgotten about those shenanigans!

Sadly seems like quite a sound option at this stage, bar the fact putting a headlining show together in six weeks would be a challenge

Edited by Benj

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

And those three headliners have done them really well sales wise, right? 

Paramore sold out a massive arena tour this year with ease and are a massive mainstream proposition. They’re more than big enough to headline MSE. They are MSE or nothing. They have a fanatic fan base who would buy day tickets to see them. 

Paramore massive mainstream proposition i've heard it all 

MSE or nothing maybe - but they can't sell half the tour The Killers, Billie or Sam Fender could!

So not really sure how they would be a better option than any of those next year

14 hours ago, Benj said:

And yet have been met with little excitement or ticket sales…

Personally I think the whole the audience is all “leaver crowd” is massively over stated anyway.

As long as there is some representation for them in the lineup, I don’t think it has half as much of an affect on sales anyway. They’ll turn up for 4-5 generally smaller but big in their world names.

Stick Carti, or whoever is 2024’s 2020’s Carti playing 3rd 4th and they’ll lap it up

Everyone is different but when I was a kid I didn’t go for the headliners…still don’t mind so maybe it’s just me.

If reading manage to book the 4-5 big next things, while also having generally appealing headliners, they’ll sell well. 

With the new format, they’re missing out big style on the next big things, going with tried and tested but ultimately thoroughly unexciting bookigns like Inhaler and NBT 🥱 

Carti is solid MSW at this point i think - 3rd or 4th ridiculous!

On 7/4/2023 at 11:51 AM, On The Blend said:

I do love the creativity and ambition on these forums when people are eyeing some gem of a booking like Neutral Milk Hotel while the FR team have already booked Wombats into Two Door and gone to the pub early.

This would actually make it worth it for me 

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Paramore massive mainstream proposition i've heard it all 

MSE or nothing maybe - but they can't sell half the tour The Killers, Billie or Sam Fender could!

So not really sure how they would be a better option than any of those next year

Well, they are. Arena sellers around the world, massive amounts of mainstream radio airplay. They sold upwards of 100,000 tickets on their last UK tour. If you don’t think that makes them a headliner, you’re mad. 

Oh so I guess that only stadium sized acts can only headline MSE then? If that’s the case, you’re as bad as the double denim Download morons who think that only stadium bands should headline DL. Also, Billie Eilish isn’t a stadium artist in the UK if you’re being picky. She’s an arena artist. 

34 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Well, they are. Arena sellers around the world, massive amounts of mainstream radio airplay. They sold upwards of 100,000 tickets on their last UK tour. If you don’t think that makes them a headliner, you’re mad. 

Oh so I guess that only stadium sized acts can only headline MSE then? If that’s the case, you’re as bad as the double denim Download morons who think that only stadium bands should headline DL. Also, Billie Eilish isn’t a stadium artist in the UK if you’re being picky. She’s an arena artist. 

I personally think that new Taylor Tour puts them very odds on to play Reading. They are out of Glastonbury, IOW and Download with a Reading shaped whole a week after this tour. I'd be amazed if they don't think around a week to headline it outright.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Hence adding the whoever is today’s Carti in 2020 3rd or 4th bit…

Edited by Benj

6 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I personally think that new Taylor Tour puts them very odds on to play Reading. They are out of Glastonbury, IOW and Download with a Reading shaped whole a week after this tour. I'd be amazed if they don't think around a week to headline it outright.

They would be a very strong replacement. So strong I’m not sure they’d want to box themselves off as second headliners

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I'm not saying Paramore can't do MSE (they are a weak pick though), just stating they aren't nearly as big as Fender, Killers and Billie.

Billie Eillish is definitely a stadium artist - she sold 4 nights in the o2 last tour no?

21 minutes ago, Benj said:

Hence adding the whoever is today’s Carti in 2020 3rd or 4th bit…

Ah fair enough

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'm not saying Paramore can't do MSE (they are a weak pick though), just stating they aren't nearly as big as Fender, Killers and Billie.

Billie Eillish is definitely a stadium artist - she sold 4 nights in the o2 last tour no?

They’re deffo all bigger acts than Paramore without a doubt.

When you consider they’ve all played stadiums/ done 4 nights in the o2  I’m not necessarily sure Paramore’s demand would be any less at Reading 2023, in fact I think it could maybe be more.

We’ve discussed this already but have this years 3 headliners as exclusives last year and it’s pretty much an instant sellout I reckon. This year it’s meh, been there done that. 

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

Ah fair enough

I'm not sure they are a weak pick, Sam Fender last year was doing the same spot Paramore would have been at Glastonbury for instance. They are way way too big for MSW and not every main stage act can be a stadium filler. At this point it would not surprise me if Reading pulled out Blink 182, Paramore and Foo FIghters as MSE bands.

Lmao at Paramore not being MSE. Fender is big but he sold out a stadium in his home town with a sh*t load of marketing but you arent telling me Paramore who have 5 times the monthly listens on Spotify arent at least the same level.

Its like calling Jamie Webster an arena level artist after selling out the Liverpool arena. He just isnt.

12 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

It’s like calling Jamie Webster an arena level artist after selling out the Liverpool arena. He just isnt.

Uggghh what a horrible occasion that will be

18 hours ago, Will b said:

Paramore would (and have) fit perfectly into that coheadliner slot that we just don’t get with the 2 stages - maybe with someone like fall out boy who are touring again but can see them playing with someone like fender/foals too - a few of their songs like all I wanted, still into you and hard times are (mildly) popular with the indie crowd and tiktok music fans 

That's what they did before right? Seem to recall in 2014 they had a QOTSA/Paramore co-head arrangement.

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:51 AM, On The Blend said:

I do love the creativity and ambition on these forums when people are eyeing some gem of a booking like Neutral Milk Hotel while the FR team have already booked Wombats into Two Door and gone to the pub early.

Well yeah. As said I doubt it'll be an expensive booking like Paramore or QOTSA would be.

I genuinely am kinda struggling to think who it will be. Presumably we will hear something soon enough but given how much the festival has strayed into a more mainstream sonic range, it's hard to see who it could be. I didn't think Capaldi would be named as an MSW headliner, so it absolutely means it could stretch across a variety of sonic spectrums.

51 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I’m all for a 30 minute rendition of f**k the tories but does he actually play music as well? Not seen one video of him playing

I’m more worried about all the toe curling koppite shite

14 hours ago, northernangel said:

I'm not sure they are a weak pick, Sam Fender last year was doing the same spot Paramore would have been at Glastonbury for instance. They are way way too big for MSW and not every main stage act can be a stadium filler. At this point it would not surprise me if Reading pulled out Blink 182, Paramore and Foo FIghters as MSE bands.

Thats last year though - Sam Fender headlined Truck last year as well, he’s clearly grown

14 hours ago, wghennessy said:

Lmao at Paramore not being MSE. Fender is big but he sold out a stadium in his home town with a sh*t load of marketing but you arent telling me Paramore who have 5 times the monthly listens on Spotify arent at least the same level.

Its like calling Jamie Webster an arena level artist after selling out the Liverpool arena. He just isnt.

Never said Paramore aren’t MSE.

He also sold out Finsbury Park, not in his hometown lets not forget.

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

A band who sell over 100,000 tickets on a single tour being weak. Jesus Christ. 

Considering the 3 headliners have sold 2-5x that arguably yes.

I’m not saying they are not MSE, just that they are not for the youth to the extent of a lot of other possibilities and aren’t as big of a seller.

Good thing if they book them for next year is they will save some money for the undercard at least - something that clearly didn’t happen this year