news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 hours ago, Neil said:

no so much fascist as tribal, the tribe looking after what it considers it's own.

It's fascist, plan and simple.

The government has been slowly heading this way for years and most people seem to have their heads firmly buried in the sand or actually welcome it.

Lovely old Britain, we could never allow fascism, ...

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think you're mistaking me for someone who lives in Scotland...again...

apologies, i thought you did, my error.

22 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's fascist, plan and simple.

no its not every country operates a border policy of some kind, and they tend to reflect the pressures on their borders (good examples for that is Australia and USA).its not fascist to have ways of refusing some people. those border policies also have ways of accepting some people.

Edited by Neil

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

no its not every country operates a border policy of some kind, and they tend to reflect the pressures on their borders (good examples for that is Australia and USA).its not fascist to have ways of refusing some people. those border policies also have ways of accepting some people.

The UNHCR's representative to the UK, Vicky Tennant, told BBC Newsnight the measure would break international law.

"We believe it's a clear breach of the Refugee Convention, and remember even people with very compelling claims will simply not have the opportunity to put these forward."

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The UNHCR's representative to the UK, Vicky Tennant, told BBC Newsnight the measure would break international law.

"We believe it's a clear breach of the Refugee Convention, and remember even people with very compelling claims will simply not have the opportunity to put these forward."

it will break international law, that doesn't make it fascist, that makes it nasty.

if it breaks international law surely it'll be overturned? The beeb said Biden is already doing it in the states.

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, lost said:

if it breaks international law surely it'll be overturned?

not necessarily, international law has an uncertain legal status in the UK.

I think the breaking international law bit will be the reason it probably won't get anywhere...but it just makes govt look tough and it's lefty woke lawyers and judges stopping them.

I mean there's so many reasons why it won't work...but obviously they hope it will put off people coming here.

In the end this is an international problem, and we need to work with other european countries in solving it..brexit might make that a bit harder..

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

..but obviously they hope it will put off people coming here.

worthless hope, survey's have shown that refugees aren't normally aware of the measures in place in the country they go to.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

really? That surprises me...they see the news on their phones or from other people, surely?

The meeja is reporting what i said. What they probably take in is that their mate is settled somewhere here. If their mate can do it so can they. 

From the Guardian’s editorial piece:

”That Ms Braverman’s vision is unrealisable makes her rhetoric no less sinister and damaging. She claimed: “By some counts there are 100 million people around the world who could qualify for protection under our current laws. Let’s be clear: they are coming here.” This is a dangerous nonsense. The majority of these are displaced domestically; three-quarters of the rest are hosted by low and middle income countries. Britain has taken a tiny fraction and seen fewer asylum applications than at their 2002 peak. Even where it boasts of generosity, it has fallen short; as of last summer, it had taken in fewer Ukrainians per capita than all but one of 28 European countries.

Across Europe, the right has seized upon and demonised migration and asylum. As the targeting of asylum seekers surges, with far-right groups attacking the hotels where they are housed, the government’s playbook is not only callous but dangerous and inflammatory. Its legislation must be opposed in political and humanitarian terms, as well as pragmatic ones.”

Edited by Skip997

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

From the Guardian’s editorial piece:

”That Ms Braverman’s vision is unrealisable makes her rhetoric no less sinister and damaging. She claimed: “By some counts there are 100 million people around the world who could qualify for protection under our current laws. Let’s be clear: they are coming here.” This is a dangerous nonsense. The majority of these are displaced domestically; three-quarters of the rest are hosted by low and middle income countries. Britain has taken a tiny fraction and seen fewer asylum applications than at their 2002 peak. Even where it boasts of generosity, it has fallen short; as of last summer, it had taken in fewer Ukrainians per capita than all but one of 28 European countries.

Across Europe, the right has seized upon and demonised migration and asylum. As the targeting of asylum seekers surges, with far-right groups attacking the hotels where they are housed, the government’s playbook is not only callous but dangerous and inflammatory. Its legislation must be opposed in political and humanitarian terms, as well as pragmatic ones.”

yeah, it's shit. I remember during the brexit debates leave side were saying we're going to get swamped by Turkish migrants if we stay in the EU stoking fear of migration and Islamaphobia in one go. Grim.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, it's shit. I remember during the brexit debates leave side were saying we're going to get swamped by Turkish migrants if we stay in the EU stoking fear of migration and Islamaphobia in one go. Grim.

Yep, all while being led by a turkish heritage prime minister.