news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, Skip997 said:

Include India in that.

Anyway I don't blame you.

When we haven't even got the balls to ban the production of endless amounts of unnecessary disposable shite, almost certainly produced using coal, then why should individuals bother?

oh. Cool. Might go and buy some shite and then throw it away.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this isn't an economic decision, it is a political decision.

Maybe one day people will make decisions based on the environment.

Completely correct

Truth is that no one in power is in the slightest bit serious about this.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyway, we have no idea how markets would respond...

We can make an educated guess as we know what the market is and thats people who buy uk debt expecting its value to at least hold its purchasing power when it matures and ideally out perform other asset classes. Why would anyone invest in something they think will do badly.

1 minute ago, lost said:

We can make an educated guess as we know what the market is and thats people who buy uk debt expecting its value to at least hold its purchasing power when it matures and ideally out perform other asset classes. Why would anyone invest in something they think will do badly.

because maybe they think it will go well?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

because maybe they think it will go well?

sending debt to gdp over 100% with an aging population? Well if you think thats a good idea tell your pension provider to go 100% gilts and help out.

1 minute ago, lost said:

sending debt to gdp over 100% with an aging population? Well if you think thats a good idea tell your pension provider to go 100% gilts and help out.

with all that massive growth that debt will start to reduce and we'll all be living in a green utopia.

Investing in infrastructure and new sources of energy is forward thinking, as opposed to just cutting taxes paid for by borrowing because you're a stupid tory that has run out of ideas.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

with all that massive growth that debt will start to reduce and we'll all be living in a green utopia.

Investing in infrastructure and new sources of energy is forward thinking, as opposed to just cutting taxes paid for by borrowing because you're a stupid tory that has run out of ideas.

cool your going to stick your entire pension pot in uk debt then? You'll get that early retirement your dreaming of in no time if your right, zero risk guaranteed!

35 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Completely correct

Truth is that no one in power is in the slightest bit serious about this.

it could also be a bad political decision...the idea that Tories aren't going to use this to batter Labour even more...attack them on wasting money on all this green nonsense and also dithering and uturning.

15 minutes ago, Neil said:

skippy ditching his dirty old truck for something green 2080, maybe!

Haven't you got a dirty old truck too? 

I have a diesel T4 in her 20's and no plans to change that either.

15 minutes ago, Neil said:

is she going to save the west in a similar way to how she saved the uk economy?

she's a f**king fruitcake... hated by millions yet she's releasing books like she has something valid to say and she thinks she's a popular conservative!

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

My campervan runs on LPG cleaner than diesel and petrol.

Won't be mine for long as it's going to be sold. Most of my journey's are electric, either mobility scooter or taxi itw probably a year since I had a taxi that wasn't electric.

Edited by Neil

16 minutes ago, stuie said:

So what if that "dirty old truck" were to double up as a home with considerably lower emissions that living in a flat or house?

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

So what if that "dirty old truck" were to double up as a home with considerably lower emissions that living in a flat or house?

No skippy is serious about his green claims, nothing changes unless he changes.

31 minutes ago, Neil said:

Won't be mine for long as it's going to be sold. Most of my journey's are electric, either mobility scooter or taxi itw probably a year since I had a taxi that wasn't electric.

Sounds to me that after living a full life, travelling the world and creating emissions, you've turned into Greta Thunberg.  Well done.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Neil said:

Is the mega yacht for your upcoming summer holidays electric ?

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sounds to me that after living a full life, travelling the world and creating emissions, you've turned into Greta Thunberg.  Well done.

Yeah that's it in a nutshell really, it's just rank hypocrisy. Do as I say not as I do etc etc

5 hours ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Tory's re-writing Labours election manifesto one attack at a time. They must be dying of laughter over at CCHQ. Starmer U-turns more than Theresa May did, and she was basically a spinning top by the end.

Seriously, how are they falling into this trap again? Decade after decade. They're so determined to give the Tory's nothing to attack, there'll be nothing for the non-affiliated public to vote for come the election. If they think 'vote for us because we're not them' will be enough, they're sadly mistaken.

This is the thing. I think the Tories are so hated right now that Labour win by default, but by having the utter lack of ability to stand for something, or stand up for what they're saying they believe in, Labour are opening the door for Tories to get back in after 1-2 terms instead of having 12-15 years to fix the Tory mess.

Backtracking on popular policies out of fear of political/media attack lines is pathetic.

As was throwing queer people, asylum seekers, and disabled rights under the bus out of fear of being seen as "too woke".

They should stand up for the environment. Stand up for minorities. And stand up for their own ideas. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Sadly it won't make any difference as we share a world with China and USA who will swallow up our net savings. 

So I'm still going to fly on holiday.

So if it won’t make any difference what’s the point in having green policies? Why are people getting so bothered about Labours £28b?

I think it does matter and it’s important for Labour to have these policies because the Tories sure as hell won’t. 

19 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

This is the thing. I think the Tories are so hated right now that Labour win by default, but by having the utter lack of ability to stand for something, or stand up for what they're saying they believe in, Labour are opening the door for Tories to get back in after 1-2 terms instead of having 12-15 years to fix the Tory mess.

Backtracking on popular policies out of fear of political/media attack lines is pathetic.

As was throwing queer people, asylum seekers, and disabled rights under the bus out of fear of being seen as "too woke".

They should stand up for the environment. Stand up for minorities. And stand up for their own ideas. 

Labour do stand up for their policies but the single biggest thing they are focussed on is winning the next election so they can actually start to change lives for the better. So that means adjusting messages/aspects of policy to play the media’s game. It’s really that simple, look what happened when Labour tried the opposite back in 2017/19 and everything that’s happened since then as a result.

Labour shouldn’t have put a figure on the green policies, that was their biggest mistake but I know why they did it. So they’ll now focus on the benefits of the green policies and the media will now revert back to asking ‘how will that be paid for’.

31 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Is the mega yacht for your upcoming summer holidays electric ?

No, but it won't be emitting anything extra cos I'm there.it won't be flying either?

Edited by Neil

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour do stand up for their policies but the single biggest thing they are focussed on is winning the next election so they can actually start to change lives for the better. So that means adjusting messages/aspects of policy to play the media’s game. It’s really that simple, look what happened when Labour tried the opposite back in 2017/19 and everything that’s happened since then as a result.

Labour shouldn’t have put a figure on the green policies, that was their biggest mistake but I know why they did it. So they’ll now focus on the benefits of the green policies and the media will now revert back to asking ‘how will that be paid for’.

But they've fallen for the media's game! They've diluted down their messaging so much the media can now go "look at how much you backtrack!"

I agree the original mistake was putting the figure down. It just makes things awkward now. But they need to show some backbone, and Starmer needs to give a sense that he is actually passionate about doing SOMETHING to better people's lives.

Somehow, a few months ago, he managed to get the nickname Sir Kid Starver for a Tory policy! How is that playing the media's game well?