news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

why does it have to be government agencies ? 

it doesn't -  i'm  saying that they can't expect the disabled to work if govt agencies won't employ the disabled.

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Having come across people with mobility and mental health issues it’s not as simple as working/non working. Many need that flexibility to work when they are able and not during acute episodes with their health . The system doesn’t always allow that flexibility.

most people on long term sick who receive PIP are mental health sick.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

sounds nice...but will anyone notice?

Looks like the average worker has got back about a quarter of the personnal allowance freeze. Pensioners being hit by the full amount (due to not paying NI) but getting uprated to include those NHS covid bonuses which affected the headline pay inflation number so much.

Kicking the problem of the triple lock, the savings for the NI cut and still the highest tax burden since the 1940's into the long grass for labour to deal with.

25 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pretty sure they do but obviously depends on the job / disability. 

a friend of mine got forced out of her nhs admin role after having a stroke and is now doing a more important  admin role for the nhs as a volunteer.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

The NHS trusts will when their budgets are cut even more. 

Pretty much, the benefit from the NI cut isn’t going to be that great and public services will be cut more.

Growth revised down, inflation forecast revised up and tax burden still rising till the end of the decade. Let the good times roll. 

1 hour ago, lost said:

Looks like the average worker has got back about a quarter of the personnal allowance freeze. Pensioners being hit by the full amount (due to not paying NI) but getting uprated to include those NHS covid bonuses which affected the headline pay inflation number so much.

Kicking the problem of the triple lock, the savings for the NI cut and still the highest tax burden since the 1940's into the long grass for labour to deal with.

inflation will be lower so triple lock less of an issue?

higher tax burden means more money to spend?

(but yeah, Labour are inheriting a mess).

I must admit to feeling more than a little worried. I get the LCWA enhancement. At best I can semi function and at worst I have panic attacks, hear voices and self harm. If working from home is an option I am up for that but doing what? I am definitely not tech savvy so will I be filling envelopes?

On a brighter note. We have the keys to our housing association place. On Monday we get a delivery of beds and white goods through s resettlement grant. The place is on the 3rd floor which will be a challenge but the location is right near Withington library. Happy as Larry 🙂

32 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

People earning more and paying more tax because of that isn't a stealth tax.  

Isn't a stealth tax a tax you impose on people without telling them? In which case it is absolutely a stealth tax, as Hunt only mentions tax/NI cuts, but not that the overall burden is increasing, and really it should be increasing

People paying more is another thing and people who earn more should absolutely pay more. At some point reality will hit and we will realise we all have to pay a lot more tax to fund social care, public services, pensions, etc, etc but that wont win votes so it will be swept under the carpet until it becomes an even bigger crisis

Edited by dingbat2

17 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I must admit to feeling more than a little worried. I get the LCWA enhancement. At best I can semi function and at worst I have panic attacks, hear voices and self harm. If working from home is an option I am up for that but doing what? I am definitely not tech savvy so will I be filling envelopes?

On a brighter note. We have the keys to our housing association place. On Monday we get a delivery of beds and white goods through s resettlement grant. The place is on the 3rd floor which will be a challenge but the location is right near Withington library. Happy as Larry 🙂

There will be loads of individual cases like yours, each one different, each one worried. We'll have to see what actually happens, this not supposed to kick in till next parliament (I don't think).

and good news about your new place. I know Withington pretty well, used to live there...on a good bus route..

Edited by steviewevie
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Great news on your new place, I hope you settle in well. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Isn't a stealth tax a tax you impose on people without telling them? In which case it is absolutely a stealth tax, as Hunt only mentions tax/NI cuts, but not that the overall burden is increasing, and really it should be increasing

People paying more is another thing and people who earn more should absolutely pay more. At some point reality will hit and we will realise we all have to pay a lot more tax to fund social care, public services, pensions, etc, etc but that wont win votes so it will be swept under the carpet until it becomes an even bigger crisis

Yes that’s exactly what a stealth tax. Something Hunt conveniently didn’t mention in his Statement and basically means that in the longer term people will feel no benefit of the NI cut and public services will get less funding. Tories (and their supporters) will try to claim that’s not the case because they don’t want people to see through them.