news & politics:discussion

zahidf

35 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Don’t worry it’s just a distraction to occupy the minds of the angry masses. If they’re whining about cyclists they’re not talking about the cost of living crisis. 

Obviously oblivious to the fact that more people cycling would contribute to reducing peoples fuel costs. 

yeah fair its not actually something they could do either having giving it some thought .... one yer Bike torys .... this cost of living stuff is decimating the country 😞 

32 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

This comes around every few years. While a number plate system is non workable I think it is wise for cyclists to have some personal liability insurance for when they are on the road.

At what age do you think we should start paying this ? Maybe we need to do it once we pass the cycling proficiency scheme I did as a kid ? 

47 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

At what age do you think we should start paying this ? Maybe we need to do it once we pass the cycling proficiency scheme I did as a kid ? 

Those are issues that would pose a problem. However there have been a few court cases where pedestrians have been hit or killed by cyclists and the cyclist having to pay 6 figure sums in damages and court costs. I used to pay 30 quid a year in insurance for my cycling. Should we have an age limit when someone hits the road? I can't say as my experience as a young person is decades old, however I would not let my kids cycle to school on today's roads.

I don't own a car and probably never will. The road conditions here are fucking terrible and the UK needs more bike friendly avenues to move on.  We need to dramatically change our model and for cities at least take on board what occurs in countries like Holland. 

Sorry for the ramble.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:40 PM, Ozanne said:

This is ultimately why we need to scrap the rise in the price cap and bring in a cap for businesses. 

We're not prepared for just how shit next winter is. Given I've seen stats of energy price rises being nowhere near what they are here in other developed nations, what justifies us being the guinea pig for turning it up to such a stupid level?

29 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Given I've seen stats of energy price rises being nowhere near what they are here in other developed nations, what justifies us being the guinea pig for turning it up to such a stupid level?

Its going to be shit everywhere:

2 minutes ago, lost said:

We haven’t been told to start chopping firewood like the Germans yet..

the germans i know aren't panicing, and reckon german pensioners won';t be freezing to death but uk ones will.

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Two world wars, one world cup, and a shit cost of living crisis.

two world wars, one world cup, one weuros, etc.

Edited by Neil