news & politics:discussion

zahidf

35 minutes ago, cellar said:

I'd never really thought about it like this, but its a pretty good way of looking at it. I like the comparison to UKIP and Brexit.

Thank you - If I have one 'convert' to a different way of thinking then waking up today has not been entirely wasted.

32 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’m confused on this too ? So would be interested in response 

There was a post yesterday from Ozanne that was literally just "I think Priti Patel is pretty hot," and then a reply from Stevie along the lines of "That Penny Maudaunt though..."

In a thread that is about politics and discussion, that absolutely is misogynistic, and the old "it's just a bit of a laugh" excuse doesn't wash (it just makes it worse in fact).

And the responses to it on being called out - I don't care if the word is trolling or if its more accurate to just call it petulant - to say "here are the thread police again" or whatever, thats what the issue is, and it's obviously going to wind people up who are calling it out.

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Pritti Patel is 51 . 

the locking and unlocking was me exploring forum functions and seeing if I can put a limited time lock on this thread . 

I don't care what age she is , what do her looks have to do with anything. You might see it as a compliment but it's a bit creepy imo. If a new person started in your work and the first thing you said about them was how hot they were, you might think its a compliment but it probs isn't as theyd probs want to be judged on their work

36 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Is it so impossible to change that … where’s the talk of positive stuff … there’s none !!! 

Why is decoupling green electricity prices from gas prices never talked about?

If it was done electric prices would fall by up to 80% (not inc the standing charge).

Why is it not done? Cos profits for business would be slashed and thus GDP would fall.

Clean, green energy is easy and very very cheap.................. but the people seem to be denied that benefit.

• Upvote 1

Just now, cellar said:

There was a post yesterday from Ozanne that was literally just "I think Priti Patel is pretty hot," and then a reply from Stevie along the lines of "That Penny Maudaunt though..."

In a thread that is about politics and discussion, that absolutely is misogynistic, and the old "it's just a bit of a laugh" excuse doesn't wash (it just makes it worse in fact).

And the responses to it on being called out - I don't care if the word is trolling or if its more accurate to just call it petulant - to say "here are the thread police again" or whatever, thats what the issue is, and it's obviously going to wind people up who are calling it out.

100% agree, a good post. And again, this is from the mob who would claim to be progressive. Above all it just makes me cringe. If they are hot then you can almost guarantee that the'd have no interest in someone on a music forum who says that lol

Just now, cellar said:

Ok so since that point both Ozanne and Stevie have apologised from what I can see . I’d like us to move on from here I think the point has been made and reacted to . 

31 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Can’t remember that being said tbh by me at least 

Kaosmark a fellow mod said calling people trolls is itself trolling and has said it isn't allowed. So I'm wondering why people like fb gets away with it when I've been called up on it?

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I don't care what age she is , what do her looks have to do with anything. You might see it as a compliment but it's a bit creepy imo. If a new person started in your work and the first thing you said about them was how hot they were, you might think its a compliment but it probs isn't as theyd probs want to be judged on their work

You were talking about an older man being odd and I’m replying that Stevie is I’d imagine a similar age . You are reading more into that than I posted 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Ok so since that point both Ozanne and Stevie have apologised from what I can see . I’d like us to move on from here I think the point has been made and reacted to . 

Happy enough to move on, I did just think it was important to be clear on what the issue was. To be honest I'm not entirely convinced either of them really appreciate that what they did was wrong - even though as Fray has pointed out, they're quick to identify it in other posters.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I will never ever mention who I fancy in the tory party ever again. And they are the sexiest party so no more misogyny from me, unless Rory Stewart comes back...

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it, as I said earlier there's no reason to take morality lessons from a person that bullies, calls people incels, c**ts and stalks their social media pages. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I will never ever mention who I fancy in the tory party ever again. And they are the sexiest party so no more misogyny from me, unless Rory Stewart comes back...

Just a time and a place isnt there, obviously say those sorts of things to your mates down the pub, or your partner in bed (if thats your thing), or even in DMs to Ozanne.

It's all about context. But I'm sure you know that anyway.

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

Happy enough to move on, I did just think it was important to be clear on what the issue was. To be honest I'm not entirely convinced either of them really appreciate that what they did was wrong - even though as Fray has pointed out, they're quick to identify it in other posters.

flipping hec. I am really really sorry for saying I am attracted to Patel and Mordaunt. I value them as MPs/ex-minsters and not simply as objects. I will go away and reflect on this and hope to become a better person.

Just now, cellar said:

I’d imagine none of us is perfect me included .. I did ask so as to educate myself further . As I said earlier I don’t want to wield any ban hammers but I do ask that people are pleasant toward each other . That rope is getting quite stretched now . I’m sure people can understand the challenge of attempting to mod this bin fire thread 

flipping hec. I am really really sorry for saying I am attracted to Patel and Mordaunt. I value them as MPs/ex-minsters and not simply as objects. I will go away and reflect on this and hope to become a better person.

To be honest I don't think they are that bothered (apart from Nobody) I think the 2 usual suspects are using it as an opportunity. I also genuinely don't think describing another person male or female as hot is a ban-able offence but I guess different people might not agree.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Haha, well good! Every day is a school day and all that.

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’d imagine none of us is perfect me included .. I did ask so as to educate myself further . As I said earlier I don’t want to wield any ban hammers but I do ask that people are pleasant toward each other . That rope is getting quite stretched now . I’m sure people can understand the challenge of attempting to mod this bin fire thread 

Yeah I can imagine. For what it's worth I don't think they should be banned for it, just called out on it, which they have been. 

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Why is decoupling green electricity prices from gas prices never talked about?

If it was done electric prices would fall by up to 80% (not inc the standing charge).

Why is it not done? Cos profits for business would be slashed and thus GDP would fall.

Clean, green energy is easy and very very cheap.................. but the people seem to be denied that benefit.

Its (currently) impossible to do. The grid has to be at an exact frequency. In the UK it is 50hz. In that frequency  there’s a very slim margin of error., Anything just 1 per cent above or below the standard 50Hz risks damaging equipment and infrastructure.

Green energy has to be stabilised with a base stable current as the wind and sun will vary based on strength during the day. 

I kind of feel a victim, poor me. It was that commie matiloy bloke who fancied Patel originally and few of us agreed...and someone brought it up this time and I just did the Mordaunt thing for the lols or trolls and here we are.

Anyway, I hate them really, but just because of their policies, not because they're women.

I kind of feel a victim, poor me. It was that commie matiloy bloke who fancied Patel originally and few of us agreed...and someone brought it up this time and I just did the Mordaunt thing for the lols or trolls and here we are.

Anyway, I hate them really, but just because of their policies, not because they're women.

We all have our vices, mine is middle aged, white men apparently (that's a joke).

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Is nuclear clean?

Clean enough to be backed by the greens and George monbiot.

If you don't think it's green don't expect to turn a light on at night.

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

this thread has always suffered from a lack of diversity of posters. Do you not see why that is? Look at the last few weeks of cellar and nobody posting more in here, within no time Ozanne and Stevie have ruined it for them. No one posts here cause it is largely just ozanne and stevie posting their twitter threads and shouting down anyone who disagrees with them. Look at yesterday, they're called out and suddenly it's turned on everyone else.

When was the last time a poster showed up here and they didn't cause them to leave within weeks?