news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Poll_Tax_riot_bw_big_col_uxga.jpg

Now then!!

31 March 1990 Trafalgar Square

Poll Tax demo, it "kicked off", poll tax was defeated

and all of this is why they want to ban protests or  make them so hard to have that it is pointless.

If they did not work they would not want to stop them happening.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and all of this is why they want to ban protests or  make them so hard to have that it is pointless.

True

I was at the poll tax demo/riot. Of course there were people there who were up for a bit of trouble, but in the minority. I traveled down on an organised coach from Manchester, which was mainly occupied by "your average law abiding person" of all ages. The anti-poll tax feeling was widespread.

IMO it was actually started by the police, who attacked a large group sitting outside Downing St gates. I just happened to be at that location so witnessed it.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It was definitely unpopular.

But was it the protest that forced Tories to kick out thatcher and replace the policy?

Incidentally I was in centre of London following the protests and the place was f**ked and my mate had police all over him when he was taking a packet of polos out of his pocket.

51 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Only because they were too stupid and/or lazy.

The proper information was out there and not too difficult to find.

it was, but too many preferred to go with their prejudices instead.

16 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

All sorts of excuses/reasons were given by leavers, but ultimately it was xenophobia/racism.

that was a big part of it, but the eu is such A BIG BEAST EVERYONE COULD FIND THINGS TO BLAME IT FOR.

1 minute ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Cool. When I first claimed ESA it took nearly 2 years to get it sorted.

no assessment needed for me(and no diary) - mine is probably quite simple based off other stuff, like my top rate of pip, indisputable disabilities, etc.

I presume this has already been discussed but feels like if you were going to commit to building HS2, there's a million better ways to go about it. At the very least, building a new rail line connecting northern cities poorly served between one another might have been a better use of their time.

Leaving it as just West London to East Birmingham feels like an awful lot of money for little reward.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I presume this has already been discussed but feels like if you were going to commit to building HS2, there's a million better ways to go about it. At the very least, building a new rail line connecting northern cities poorly served between one another might have been a better use of their time.

Leaving it as just West London to East Birmingham feels like an awful lot of money for little reward.

17 hours ago, steviewevie said:

It was definitely unpopular.

But was it the protest that forced Tories to kick out thatcher and replace the policy?

Incidentally I was in centre of London following the protests and the place was f**ked and my mate had police all over him when he was taking a packet of polos out of his pocket.

Catalyst
Final straw
Part of

It made  a difference, impossible to know how big but it did.

Todfay in Scotland there are climate protests - peaceful so far but there are elements there who might not stay that way...........

and the organiser, when asked why they were there said 'politicians have told them they need to so that those who make decisions will see public opinion and force them to act' and that includes 'disorder',.

So politicians tell us protests work, but we know they do................ else why do they want to ban them?