2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Because this thread has died a death is Kendrick isn’t back what do you think the trio will look like? Suddenly Billie being busy on the Saturday (the day we expect McCartney to play) doesn’t seem like such an issue anymore. I don’t think @Suprefan is right about Billie having a Sunday date at the O2. No idea why they wouldn’t announce it when the Saturday date sold out. Seems a bit weird to announce another show months later when all the others have sold out. 

If the Friday is available she would probably be my first pick, but I wonder who else could step in for Kendrick. If R&L haven’t got Dave I can see it being him… or… Dua.

Yeah, lets put  it on the person who was told by an employee of a certain ticketing company that sees what is in the system. 

And hey, we got our headliners and a future one sorted out at least.

Didn’t Arctic Monkeys headline in 2013 at the start of their AM tour (which ultimately took them into the following summer)?

Could be a shout now if Kenny is ‘out’.

Dua / Macca / AMs

**edit - Kenny isn’t defo ‘out’ for those reading that and frantically scrolling thru thread, just speculating following a rumour re him not doing festivals nxt yr originating from RW thread.

Edited by PolygonWindow

12 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Didn’t Arctic Monkeys headline in 2013 at the start of their AM tour (which ultimately took them into the following summer)?

Dua / Macca / AMs

**edit - Kenny isn’t defo ‘out’ for those reading that and frantically scrolling thru thread, just speculating following a rumour re him not doing festivals nxt yr originating from RW thread.

If AMs are active next summer then they have to be considered serious contenders if we have any dropouts.

52 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Dua / Macca / AMs

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If AMs are active next summer then they have to be considered serious contenders if we have any dropouts.

Didn’t someone say that the park in Sheffield they had dates to play has been pushed back to 2023? Arctics sound like a 2023 thing.

Edited by Matt42

56 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Can’t really see Elton and Macca both headlining the same year tbh

There are limited opportunities to book either act these days. As I said above because of Macca’s age and Elton’s pending retirement there aren’t going to be many future opportunities to book them beyond next year.

They won’t turn down one because they’ve already booked the other.

Edited by Hugh Jass

10 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

2022: Coldplay — Macca — Dua/Reg

2023: Kendrick — Taylor — Arctics

I can see it.

I know they are supposedly doing something next summer but plz can we not discuss Coldplay until things look very hairy.

* they apparently have euro tour dates July 2022

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Coldplay was 6 years ago but like 2 festivals ago, this isn't a I hate Coldplay thing it's a there must be a tonne of acts wanting to play from the gap that would simply be better.

I personally don’t think they will be back - Chris Martin was pretty aware of the bad press they get now by headlining too much. 

I won’t be surprised though if they plan their tours with a glasto gap just as an act of goodwill, or if the festival really needs them with someone pulling out.

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Coldplay was 6 years ago but like 2 festivals ago, this isn't a I hate Coldplay thing it's a there must be a tonne of acts wanting to play from the gap that would simply be better.

There’s no reasonable justification for Coldplay headlining Glastonbury 2022. It’d be the laziest and most uninspiring booking imaginable.

You would hope both the festival and the band are savvy enough to see this.

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There are limited opportunities to book either act these days. As I said above because of Macca’s age and Elton’s pending retirement there aren’t going to be many future opportunities to book them beyond next year.

They won’t turn down one because they’ve already booked the other.

In recent years, they tend to get good variation between the 3 headliners, might be a lazy comparison on my part but Elton and Macca seem too similar in terms of the act they are. That Friday is a rapper or ‘rock‘ band imo, Sunday I see them rightfully keeping female fronted/ female act (tho the days are irrelevant, more talking split out between the 3).

1 minute ago, PolygonWindow said:

In recent years, they tend to get good variation between the 3 headliners, might be a lazy comparison on my part but Elton and Macca seem too similar in terms of the act they are. That Friday is a rapper or ‘rock‘ band imo, Sunday I see them rightfully keeping female fronted/ female act (tho the days are irrelevant, more talking split out between the 3).

“Yeah sorry Reg, we’ve already got an old guy so I’m afraid we can’t book you… Your last ever tour you say? Tough.”

Is what they would not say.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

“Yeah sorry Reg, we’ve already got an old guy so I’m afraid we can’t book you… Your last ever tour you say? Tough.”

Is what they would not say.

Na - just don’t think they’d approach as headliner when/if they already have Macca locked in.

Catering for everyone is important and they know that. I would love to see him tho!

Edited by PolygonWindow

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is another thing - if Elton isn’t someone they already have lined up would they run to replace Kendrick with someone like Elton? Or would they go for a younger act?

If Elton is willing to do it then they’ll book him. They can get Dave/Dua/Billie any year, this would be a one off.

3 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Na - just don’t think they’d approach as headliner when/if they already have Macca locked in.

Catering for everyone is important and they know that. I would love to see him tho!

Were they catering for everyone when they booked Coldplay and Muse same year? Or Neil Young and Springsteen? Or Arctics/Stones/Mumfords?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

If Elton is willing to do it then they’ll book him. They can get Dave/Dua/Billie any year, this would be a one off.

Nah I don’t see it that way. If Elton isn’t already locked in because he planned to play before the great panini, then I think they won’t be chasing after him. Billie would be a good replacement for Kendrick as she has crossover with his fans. I just think if a hip hop act can’t make it they will try and keep the balance that 2020 had. 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Nah I don’t see it that way. If Elton isn’t already locked in because he planned to play before the great panini, then I think they won’t be chasing after him. Billie would be a good replacement for Kendrick as she has crossover with his fans. I just think if a hip hop act can’t make it they will try and keep the balance that 2020 had. 

Is Billie not too close to Taylor? Both female pop acts…

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Were they catering for everyone when they booked Coldplay and Muse same year? Or Neil Young and Springsteen? Or Arctics/Stones/Mumfords?

I see your point and it’s very valid but musically there are a lot more similarities between Elton and Macca than Coldplay/ Muse, Arctics/Mumfords.

Neil Young/ Springsteen was 2009, long time ago now, demand and demographic has changed massively, look at last 3 festivals instead and compare.

This is all opinion based ofc. Obviously he is well within the realms of possibility.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Is Billie not too close to Taylor? Both female pop acts…

I’d say their styles are pretty different but my point is not about getting someone who is like for like a Kendrick replacement, but maybe something Kendrick fans would look at on the bill and think “ah that sucks but I don’t mind that replacement”. 

as a caveat I think both Dua and Dave fit that mould too. I can see Kendrick fans looking at the lineup and finding it a bit strange to see Elton John in Kendricks spot.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’d say their styles are pretty different but my point is not about getting someone who is like for like a Kendrick replacement, but maybe something Kendrick fans would look at on the bill and think “ah that sucks but I don’t mind that replacement”. 

as a caveat I think both Dua and Dave fit that mould too. I can see Kendrick fans looking at the lineup and finding it a bit strange to see Elton John in Kendricks spot.

I’m a Kendrick fan and would be delighted if Elton was his replacement.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Weirdly, I think AM’s fit this perfectly despite being a completely different genre of music.

Edit: would definitely prefer Kendrick.

Edited by PolygonWindow