When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

This is a really random question but does anyone know what classified as a “shop”.

Theres been so much commotion over the whole policy whether takeaway food shops like pret are included in the policy or not.

Im going to the seaside tomorrow and I was just wondering for instance, would arcades be included in this policy.

Regardless I will be wearing my mask in indoor public places nonetheless but I was just wondering whether we had any more clarity on what is or isn’t included?

Edited by FestivalJamie

8 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

This is a really random question but does anyone know what classified as a “shop”.

Theres been so much commotion over the whole policy whether takeaway food shops like pret are included in the policy or not.

Im going to the seaside tomorrow and I was just wondering for instance, would arcades be included in this policy.

Regardless I will be wearing my mask in indoor public places nonetheless but I was just wondering whether we had any more clarity on what is or isn’t included?

All shops I think it is, so Pret you would have to wear one. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ozanne said:

Non-food retail. 

So what about a supermarket cafe? Mask in most of the building but you can take it off in one small section of it. Not just limited to supermarkets either, many large department stores have cafes. Not sure how many of them are open though

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

All shops I think it is, so Pret you would have to wear one. 

Downing Street then suggested face coverings will not have to be worn when buying takeaway food in England, with official guidance due shortly.

The PM's official spokesman said his understanding "is that it wouldn't be mandatory if you went in, for example, to a sandwich shop in order to get a takeaway to wear a face covering".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53415030

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

So what about a supermarket cafe? Mask in most of the building but you can take it off in one small section of it. Not just limited to supermarkets either, many large department stores have cafes. Not sure how many of them are open though

I’ve edited my post as I thought I was wrong however:

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Downing Street then suggested face coverings will not have to be worn when buying takeaway food in England, with official guidance due shortly.

The PM's official spokesman said his understanding "is that it wouldn't be mandatory if you went in, for example, to a sandwich shop in order to get a takeaway to wear a face covering".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53415030

Maybe that is it!

19 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

It isn't mandatory yet in any case is it so I wouldn't expect to see much of an uptake until after it becomes enforced.  I am going to the coast myself this weekend, booked 2 nights in a B&B so will be interested to see how different it is and how they are managing it.  They have sent me an email with some information and it all seems to be pretty well organised so far.

So you're fine to not wear a mask while queueing for a greggs or mcdonalds but if you have to wear a mask in a shop. This may be surprising but there is an actual mcdonalds inside my local asda so depending on which part of the floor you're stood on you won't have to wear a mask.

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

It isn't mandatory yet in any case is it so I wouldn't expect to see much of an uptake until after it becomes enforced.  I am going to the coast myself this weekend, booked 2 nights in a B&B so will be interested to see how different it is and how they are managing it.  They have sent me an email with some information and it all seems to be pretty well organised so far.

id say there is a slight uptake since announcement based on me looking around today ... not significant but I think people might try out a few different ones before the 24th to see what they are most comfortable with  

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

So you're fine to not wear a mask while queueing for a greggs or mcdonalds but if you have to wear a mask in a shop. This may be surprising but there is an actual mcdonalds inside my local asda so depending on which part of the floor you're stood on you won't have to wear a mask.

you will be required to wear them when entering the asda ... but if you can take them off when you go in mcdonalds I dont know ... shopping centres I presume will require them ? 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yeah it seems pretty weird. Hopefully they clarify. 

This is a bloody joke. Another 85 deaths and we are still implementing ridiculous policies which are completely political and no interest in public health whatsoever. Boris needs to go ASAP. I honestly couldn't give a crap if we are run by Tory or Labour, I just want a proper government, like in Germany, who can actually handle a pandemic properly.

So I need to wear a mask to go into Tesco, but when I get from the grocery store to the Tesco cafe (all in the same building), I can take off my mask, spread the virus to everyone queueing in the cafe, buy my food, then go back into the main store and put my mask on again.

It's a bloody joke. Honestly one bull**** policy after another. Masks need to be made compulsory in all indoor public spaces. It doesn't matter whether you are in a cafe queueing up for a takeaway, a supermarket, a cinema foyer an arcade, a museum, a public library. These are all places with poor levels of ventilation and enclosed spaces, where the virus can spread. 

Why are we only implementing masks in some specific locations and not others. This new policy isn't giving me any more confidence to go out and shop, as I still won't feel bloody safe. Why can countries like Italy, Germany and Spain have proper policies and we always come up with nonsense.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

This is a bloody joke. Another 85 deaths and we are still implementing ridiculous policies which are completely political and no interest in public health whatsoever. Boris needs to go ASAP. I honestly couldn't give a crap if we are run by Tory or Labour, I just want a proper government, like in Germany, who can actually handle a pandemic properly.

So I need to wear a mask to go into Tesco, but when I get from the grocery store to the Tesco cafe (all in the same building), I can take off my mask, spread the virus to everyone queueing in the cafe, buy my food, then go back into the main store and put my mask on again.

It's a bloody joke. Honestly one bull**** policy after another. Masks need to be made compulsory in all indoor public spaces. It doesn't matter whether you are in a cafe queueing up for a takeaway, a supermarket, a cinema foyer an arcade, a museum, a public library. These are all places with poor levels of ventilation and enclosed spaces, where the virus can spread. 

Why are we only implementing masks in some specific locations and not others. This new policy isn't giving me any more confidence to go out and shop, as I still won't feel bloody safe. Why can countries like Italy, Germany and Spain have proper policies and we always come up with nonsense.

add to that not mandatory for staff inside those shops !! :( 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

It links in to the discussion this morning about masks in offices too. Surely just have them in all indoor places that isn’t your home? (Or maybe a pub)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

add to that not mandatory for staff inside those shops !! :( 

This, I also find ridiculous. Means the virus can easily spread in supermarkets between all the staff and to the customers, which in the end means no one is protected.

Lets say I'm a supermarket worker, I have some friends over the night before work, pick up the virus, go to work the next day. None of my colleagues and I are wearing face masks, I spread the virus to all my colleagues on the same shift as me. We then all go to the shop floor and start stacking shelves etc, customers come in, they are all protecting us yet we all still spread the virus to them. Everyone in the shop get's infected.

That's perhaps an extreme scenario of a trail of infections but I hope you get where I'm coming from with my point. In Germany, masks are mandatory in all indoor public places, staff or customer regardless.

---

I know people were talking about how dangerous are supermarkets for causing infections. When we were in lockdown, most of us were staying at home. I know 2 people, who didn't do anything except go to the supermarket (by car) and still got ill, so they must have got infected in the supermarket. As the virus is airborne and survives longer in enclosed indoor spaces, presumably it can linger in the shop aisles, meaning it's easy to pick up the infection. Which is why masks in enclosed spaces are so fundamental, for both staff and customers.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It links in to the discussion this morning about masks in offices too. Surely just have them in all indoor places that isn’t your home? (Or maybe a pub)

Maybe that's the issue, if they made it mandatory for all indoor spaces it would have to include pubs (not really any logical reason why it wouldn't) and therefore may put people off and they don't want that?  

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Maybe that's the issue, if they made it mandatory for all indoor spaces it would have to include pubs (not really any logical reason why it wouldn't) and therefore may put people off and they don't want that?  

Possibly but I think this version is confusing too. The reason why it wouldn’t include pubs is because of risk of contamination taking your mask on and off to drink/eat. 

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

This, I also find ridiculous. Means the virus can easily spread in supermarkets between all the staff and to the customers, which in the end means no one is protected.

Lets say I'm a supermarket worker, I have some friends over the night before work, pick up the virus, go to work the next day. None of my colleagues and I are wearing face masks, I spread the virus to all my colleagues on the same shift as me. We then all go to the shop floor and start stacking shelves etc, customers come in, they are all protecting us yet we all still spread the virus to them. Everyone in the shop get's infected.

That's perhaps an extreme scenario of a trail of infections but I hope you get where I'm coming from with my point. In Germany, masks are mandatory in all indoor public places, staff or customer regardless.

---

I know people were talking about how dangerous are supermarkets for causing infections. When we were in lockdown, most of us were staying at home. I know 2 people, who didn't do anything except go to the supermarket (by car) and still got ill, so they must have got infected in the supermarket. As the virus is airborne and survives longer in enclosed indoor spaces, presumably it can linger in the shop aisles, meaning it's easy to pick up the infection. Which is why masks in enclosed spaces are so fundamental, for both staff and customers.

In scotland my company has made the staff wear face coverings along with the the customers ..... ive emailed our CEO asking for this to be the case IN England also ... im pretty sure they will as not much point being safer in Scotland than England for this supermarket ... awaiting a response ... hopefully all companies take this approach or enforcement will be a shambles 

Don't bars in Europe expect people to wear masks when the enter/leave the bar and when going to the loo but when at the table they can take the mask off? That would at least help and I would say this could be implemented in an office too

Well yes, you're probably spot on. The last thing they want to do is put people off the pub, as it's wear all the money is coming in from. As I've said before in other countries (France, Germany) in pubs and restaurants, you are only permitted to not be wearing a mask whilst seated at the table. If you get up, toilet, to move around etc, the mask must go back on to prevent you spreading the virus to people if you get closed than 1.5m while moving about. I think this is the policy we need to follow, although I think they are worried it will put people off going to the pubs. In Germany, supplying your details for track and trace is also mandatory, not optional, and there is no reason it should be optional here either.

Has anyone seen Sadiq Khan's tweet, I am really impressed by it. He's been pushing for face masks for months now and I really support his arguments, and the challenges he is making to the government. They have only changed the policy regarding takeaway food subsequent to Michael Gove not wearing a mask, completely political and not interested in public health at all. Takeaway food stalls are still shops, masks need to be mandatory!!!

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

---

Yes I get your point, but that is highly, highly improbable isn't it.  Don't they say you need to be in close ish contact with someone for a prolonged period, hence why the app was only going to register contacts less than 2m for longer than 15 minutes?  I know that's obviously not an absolute rule, but generally speaking.  Otherwise everyone working in supermarkets would have had it by now surely.