When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Then its not short....

LOngish firebreak is just a lockdown really

I don’t know why you are quibbling on the length, the firebreak lockdown in Wales was working they relaxed restrictions and cases started to rise again. Every country in Europe will face this issue in the winter. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t know why you are quibbling on the length, the firebreak lockdown in Wales was working they relaxed restrictions and cases started to rise again. Every country in Europe will face this issue in the winter. 

I think the point is that if it's longer than it was then it's not a so-called firebreak - it's a lockdown. One of the defining characteristics of a firebreak is that it's shorter than a lockdown. So on that basis it didn't work.

• Upvote 1

The Scottish National party is continue using a freelance television presenter, Hayley Matthews, as the host of its online conference today after it emerged she had endorsed and circulated anti-vaccine conspiracy theories.

Matthews, a former BBC Scotland and STV presenter who has acted as the face of SNP conference this weekend, deleted her Twitter account after the Record newspaper quoted her saying she would never give her child “a flu jab or have any covid shite” amongst a number of anti-vaccination tweets, some of which reportedly reflect QAnon conspiracies.

Matthews is still expected to introduce Nicola Sturgeon’s keynote speech later today. 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think the point is that if it's longer than it was then it's not a so-called firebreak - it's a lockdown. One of the defining characteristics of a firebreak is that it's shorter than a lockdown. So on that basis it didn't work.

yup thanks, thats what i mean!

hard to disagree with this: the 'firebreak' was supposed to lead to Wales being open in the Xmas run up...

Edited by zahidf

Bristol city council has confirmed the army is at Ashton Gate Stadium to prepare for a mass Covid vaccination programme. (See 11.30am.) A spokesperson said:

The work at Ashton Gate is being co-ordinated by the army in preparation for the NHS-led vaccination programme. Whilst the council is providing public health advice and guidance the roll-out is something the local CCG [clinical commissioning group] is leading on.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Gotcha so the issue is the name. In that regards yes it didn’t work but overall the restrictions of the lockdown were working, it just should’ve been longer. 

I recommend the US podcast In The Bubble with Andy Slavitt - he speaks to doctors, scientists, epidemiologists and asks the sorts of questions us laypeople would like to understand the answers to, regarding the pandemic.

On his latest episode, he hosts Ashish Jha, Dean of Brown University's School for Public Health. Ashish suggests - due to mass testing and the effect of vaccinations starting to show - it is likely that late Jan-early Feb is when we will start to see the tide turn on this virus for good.

So, 6-9 more weeks. Not long in the grand scheme of things.

---

Separately, in a Guardian article today;

Dr Jonathan Van-Tam, England’s deputy chief medical officer, has estimated that if a vaccine had already been rolled out to the 22 million people in the 10 groups deemed a priority to receive it, that would have saved 99% of the 58,245 people who have died in the UK from coronavirus since February.

Dumb/Oversimplified conclusion - if the 33% highest priority members of UK population are vaccinated, it will pretty much all but end deaths from Covid-19.

Edited by Mellotr0n
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Bristol city council has confirmed the army is at Ashton Gate Stadium to prepare for a mass Covid vaccination programme. (See 11.30am.) A spokesperson said:

The work at Ashton Gate is being co-ordinated by the army in preparation for the NHS-led vaccination programme. Whilst the council is providing public health advice and guidance the roll-out is something the local CCG [clinical commissioning group] is leading on.

Yup.....and they're quoting potential vaccination figures of 110,000 per week.....which would seem optimistic to me.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Gotcha so the issue is the name. In that regards yes it didn’t work but overall the restrictions of the lockdown were working, it just should’ve been longer. 

If it lasted longer then it wouldn't have been a firebreak which was supposed to be a short snappy shutting down which would prevent the need for a longer lockdown. Not sure why you're not understanding that.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

How is it Bollocks? The U.K. does have a good track record with Vaccines.

Edited by MEGABOWL

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

How long is a firebreak?

and how long is a circuit break?

and when is a lockdown a lockdown?

It's imperitave that we know this information.

There isn’t really any set period that makes the measures a firebreak, circuit breaker or lockdown. You could argue the UK one at 4 weeks is a short circuit break lockdown it certainly is compared to the last one. The issue with the Welsh one wasn’t the name it was that it was too short, data showed it was working and unfortunately they came out of it too early.