Campervans indepth

waynewdk

So after bagging myself Glasto tickets for 2020, my next port of call is Camper Van tickets,  which brings me to a few new questions, thanks in advance, you are all very helpful.

1. I've no experience with camper vans/ motor homes, so I've been doing a little reading, I'm going to be renting, and read that the campers have casettes for the toilets, I'm guessing there will be some sort of disposal area for the waste? 

2. Also shower/grey water will this have some sort of removable container and a disposable area?

3. 4 lads, Weds-Monday, will these require daily emptying or are they pretty, big? do they take toilet paper or do we bin it?

4. I've seen figures that they can hold 109-120 litres of fresh water, at a rough guess how long would this last if say we do minimal cooking(washing up), 1 shower each a day( 20 showers) and maybe use the toilet in the morning and night as we will be out nearly all the time.?

5. Is there plenty of Portaloos available in the camper fields to off set the usage?

6. I'm guessing there's no water or electric hook ups, so do the campers tend to come with a container for filling? And is there an easy place to fill, a sink would be hard to get a container in?

7. Finally anyone who has rented a camper, do they tend to take a big lump sum to hold, in case of damage? We'd our upmost to keep everything clean as we possible can, but say the inevitable happens and we get a bit of mud inside the camper, would that lose you your money?

Like i mentioned, I've never used a camper before, don't even think I've even been up close to one. We have done Glastonbury 4 times though which we camped it.

Thanks for any replies, cheer

Edited by waynewdk

15 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

So after bagging myself Glasto tickets for 2020, my next port of call is Camper Van tickets,  which brings me to a few new questions, thanks in advance, you are all very helpful.

1. I've no experience with camper vans/ motor homes, so I've been doing a little reading, I'm going to be renting, and read that the campers have casettes for the toilets, I'm guessing there will be some sort of disposal area for the waste? 

Yes, there are proper disposal tanks for toilet waste

2. Also shower/grey water will this have some sort of removable container and a disposable area?

Same as above

3. 4 lads, Weds-Monday, will these require daily emptying or are they pretty, big? do they take toilet paper or do we bin it?

4. I've seen figures that they can hold 109-120 litres of fresh water, at a rough guess how long would this last if say we do minimal cooking(washing up), 1 shower each a day( 20 showers) and maybe use the toilet in the morning and night as we will be out nearly all the time.?

Hard to answer as it depends on how long your showers are.  But there are water fill points.  Usually taps that you use to fill an Aquaroll (a sort of barrel with a handle that you then roll to your campervan).  So IT'S VITAL that your campervan comes equipped with one (check with the supplier).  Some campers just come with a hose that you run from a water tap to the camper water container.  That almost certainly won't work - you'll need an Aquaroll.

5. Is there plenty of Portaloos available in the camper fields to off set the usage?

Yes.

6. I'm guessing there's no water or electric hook ups, so do the campers tend to come with a container for filling? And is there an easy place to fill, a sink would be hard to get a container in?

No electric hook ups, so your leisure battery will have to last you the week. On water, see Aquaroll above.

7. Finally anyone who has rented a camper, do they tend to take a big lump sum to hold, in case of damage? We'd our upmost to keep everything clean as we possible can, but say the inevitable happens and we get a bit of mud inside the camper, would that lose you your money?

Depends on the hire firm.  Most charge a premium for Glasto week and they may be picky and have a cleaning charge/breakage deposit.

Like i mentioned, I've never used a camper before, don't even think I've even been up close to one. We have done Glastonbury 4 times though which we camped it.

HAVE FUN.

15 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

12 hours ago, waynewdk said:

Worth bearing in mind that for 4 people space will be at a premium, I hope you all know each other very well, even a 5 berth motorhome will be very snug for 4 adults. 

most motorhomes have a very small payload capacity, by the time you have 4 adults on board, full water tank, booze, clothes, food etc you will be over loaded, just be careful that it doesn’t look overloaded and you should be fine.

if the 4 of you plan on having a shower each every day then you will spend more time filling up the water tank than partying in the festival. Take a flannel and wash using the basin, uses much less water and shower when you think you need one.

the grey water waste will just be a tap on the end of a pipe, you will need to have a container to pour the waste into to dispose of it, a bucket will do, although many will just pour the waste onto the ground, please don’t do this.

If you only use the toilet for morning and evening pee you will probably get away with emptying it maybe twice, plus one more before returning it. As long as you use the proper chemicals in the toilet emptying it is not particularly unpleasant.

make sure it comes with a full gas canister, this runs your fridge and water heater, you don’t want to run out.

Edited by Smeble

6 hours ago, Smeble said:

Worth bearing in mind that for 4 people space will be at a premium, I hope you all know each other very well, even a 5 berth motorhome will be very snug for 4 adults. 

most motorhomes have a very small payload capacity, by the time you have 4 adults on board, full water tank, booze, clothes, food etc you will be over loaded, just be careful that it doesn’t look overloaded and you should be fine.

if the 4 of you plan on having a shower each every day then you will spend more time filling up the water tank than partying in the festival. Take a flannel and wash using the basin, uses much less water and shower when you think you need one.

the grey water waste will just be a tap on the end of a pipe, you will need to have a container to pour the waste into to dispose of it, a bucket will do, although many will just pour the waste onto the ground, please don’t do this.

If you only use the toilet for morning and evening pee you will probably get away with emptying it maybe twice, plus one more before returning it. As long as you use the proper chemicals in the toilet emptying it is not particularly unpleasant.

make sure it comes with a full gas canister, this runs your fridge and water heater, you don’t want to run out.

Thanks for that, yeah we are all pretty close, but probably only use the campervan for sleeping, and shower, might go for a 7 berth for extra room, hopefully get a awning and table going outside should we want to chill,

the toilet waste I’m guessing there’s a dedicate a dedicated resoirvour/ container to empty

On 10/9/2019 at 5:37 AM, waynewdk said:

Thanks for that, yeah we are all pretty close, but probably only use the campervan for sleeping, and shower, might go for a 7 berth for extra room, hopefully get a awning and table going outside should we want to chill,

the toilet waste I’m guessing there’s a dedicate a dedicated resoirvour/ container to empty

Yes, it will slide out of the side of the motorhome, empty it into the reservoir provided, put a bit of chemical in and refit. Your hire firm should show you all this.

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2019 at 5:37 AM, waynewdk said:

Thanks for that, yeah we are all pretty close, but probably only use the campervan for sleeping, and shower, might go for a 7 berth for extra room

Bear in mind size restrictions if you want to use the campervan parking at GF. In recent years believe it's 8 metres. Vans any longer have to use the Bath & West Showground. Peeps have been known to be turned away at the GF gate and redirected if their van's too big.

• Like 1

You'd be surprised how quickly you go through water when you have to supply it yourself. 

We take 60 litres on motorbike weekends. Cooking, hand wash etc and only 2 quick showers for the mud splattered one. 

As someone else said you're going to be spending an awful lot of time topping up water and waiting for it to heat to shower. 

The toilet cassette is clean and easy as long as you just wee. Most people will use on site toilets to have a crap. You need to keep and eye, you don't want to over fill. 

We now have a caravan for motor sport which is a lot more user friendly and spacious compared to a motor home but for festivals I reckon tents are best. 

On 10/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve stayed in a pre-pitched caravan there a few times. It’s by no means is it essential to do this, but we made it a rule to avoid using the toilet for number twos. There are a few decent portaloos dotted around so unless it’s an ‘emergency’ avoiding using it will make emptying it all the more pleasant.

This is the ultimate advice if sharing a caravan or motorhome. The portaloos in cv fields are so quiet and clean (generally) this is a no brainier. 

Only really need to use the motorhome bog for pissing in at night imo. 

Filling up the water barrel very easy if you do all want a shower every day. It was brilliant to do this in 2019 after sweating all day!