Shelter Glastonbury

marathonsteve

7 minutes ago, fuztownsend01 said:

thanks for the info... for people that have worked for Shelter / Avalon before... do you work your allocated shifts in the same bar each time or could it be any one of these on any shift?

When I worked for Shelter it was in the same bar for all your shifts

3 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

For those of you wanting to know the list of all the bars run by Avalon Events at Glastonbury in 2019 - here you go! cc @MrZigster  @amfy@gooner1990 :good:

59978224_2041510722624509_3199222895708471296_n.jpg

Awesome. Nice one SC. Where did you get that? (You don't have to reveal your sources).

Looks like Brew Bars may have replaced a couple of the old Thatchers craft places. Certainly the one on Williams Green.

@amfyyou were correct about The Beat Hotel :).

I'd really like a spot at "Guest Bar" as it looks backstage. I'd guess that those places go to well seasoned hands though. I can easily pack a tux if need be.

Apologies @StoneCircle 'cause I think I may have accidentally given you a downvote instead of an upvote. It's really time I updated my computer/operating system/browser as it keeps causing similar faux pas.

2 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Awesome. Nice one SC. Where did you get that? (You don't have to reveal your sources).

Looks like Brew Bars may have replaced a couple of the old Thatchers craft places. Certainly the one on Williams Green.

I'd really like a spot at "Guest Bar" as it looks backstage. I'd guess that those places go to well seasoned hands though. I can easily pack a tux if need be.

Apologies @StoneCircle 'cause I think I may have accidentally given you a downvote instead of an upvote. It's really time I updated my computer/operating system/browser as it keeps causing similar faux pas.

@GlastoFest Feed tweeted it earlier. And don't assume that Guest Bar goes to seasoned hands, we witnessed a poor member of staff ruining 18 pints in 2015!! She was mortified. I get an inter-stage pass via the accessibility team, so occasionally we call in the bar for a sit down in comfort. 

You can easily change a down-vote back to an up-vote by clicking on it and selecting what you meant to vote, if only we could do the same for Brexit!! :lol:

2 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

@GlastoFest Feed tweeted it earlier. And don't assume that Guest Bar goes to seasoned hands, we witnessed a poor member of staff ruining 18 pints in 2015!! She was mortified. I get an inter-stage pass via the accessibility team, so occasionally we call in the bar for a sit down in comfort. 

You can easily change a down-vote back to an up-vote by clicking on it and selecting what you meant to vote, if only we could do the same for Brexit!! :lol:

Even experienced hands can drop a trayfull occasionally. I have a (35 year old) City & Guilds qualification in How To Hold A Tray Correctly (I bet they don't teach that in "the training") and still managed to spill red hot gravy onto someones lap a few tears into that career :(.

Tried to correct my faux pas re accidental downvote but may have made it worse. Knew I should have waited 'till I was at work to do that kind of thing as they have W10 (They haven't yet realised that certain previously unobtainable webwashed sites are now accessible ;)).

Don't start me off on Brexit. I wouldn't change my vote. Wrong thread.

To stay on thread:

As threatened on here previously, I hadn't heard anything regarding training by today so sent an appropriate email to Avalon Events. Got an immediate response. To anybody else concerned, let's just say I'm well reassured that they have everything sorted.

5 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

As threatened on here previously, I hadn't heard anything regarding training by today so sent an appropriate email to Avalon Events. Got an immediate response. To anybody else concerned, let's just say I'm well reassured that they have everything sorted.

Glad to hear that! I hadn’t got round to emailing them but in the absence of any confirmation will be pitching up at my requested training time tomorrow, albeit mildly hungover 

7 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Don't start me off on Brexit. I wouldn't change my vote. Wrong thread.

My hope was for those who voted to leave could change to remain, as easily as we can change our vote on here, ;)

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

The guest bar will not be staffed  by volunteers. There are bar staff who work for Avalon who are paid at certain bars. That is what what happened when I worked for them for two years.

Edited by marathonsteve

4 minutes ago, LadyP said:

Glad to hear that! I hadn’t got round to emailing them but in the absence of any confirmation will be pitching up at my requested training time tomorrow, albeit mildly hungover

I have proper, real life work tomorrow (well, today now). Will also be hungover.

I also sent Shelter the same email and got no response (apart from the automated "Give us three days" thing). They've always previously been nothing short of brilliant when it comes to communication.

21 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I have proper, real life work tomorrow (well, today now). Will also be hungover.

I also sent Shelter the same email and got no response (apart from the automated "Give us three days" thing). They've always previously been nothing short of brilliant when it comes to communication.

My sympathies for your inevitable suffering tomorrow! Glad to hear they’ve got it all in hand. I’m actually quite looking forward to it now, just regretting booking such an early train after an evening of espresso martinis!  

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Thank you, that’s really good to know! Did they say when we might get an update? 

I also emailed Shelter on Tuesday and haven’t heard back yet, didn’t think to go direct!

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

The guest bar will not be staffed  by volunteers. There are bar staff who work for Avalon who are paid at certain bars. That is what what happened when I worked for them for two years.

So agency staff - that is strange - will find out the answer at Glasto as I will be meeting one of the Avalon Directors.

Before the split when WBC ran the Guest Bar - the serving staff was normal volunteers. The only real difference between that and any public bar was the range was far wider and the prices had a 20 pence premium due to the later Closing time.

Michael Eavis prevented the WBC from installing a larger Marquee as they wanted to increase it by 75%.

My Team worked in it loads of times although most of the performers never used it so it was full of Managers and Agents and press and lots of friends of friends.

When K was the ' in drink ' there was two females who only ever drunk K but one night we were out of stock and they were disappointed so I offered them another Cider but they said ' but we don't drink Cider we only drink K ' - I explained K was Cider but amazingly they did not believe me so I showed them a empty bottle and they were shocked it was Cider - god knows what they thought they were drinking  !!! - a few years later we could not give the drink away as it was no longer a ' in drink '

We enjoyed working there just to get the Backstage Compound pass but it was never a favourite place to have a drink in.   

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

So agency staff - that is strange - will find out the answer at Glasto as I will be meeting one of the Avalon Directors.

Before the split when WBC ran the Guest Bar - the serving staff was normal volunteers. The only real difference between that and any public bar was the range was far wider and the prices had a 20 pence premium due to the later Closing time.

Michael Eavis prevented the WBC from installing a larger Marquee as they wanted to increase it by 75%.

My Team worked in it loads of times although most of the performers never used it so it was full of Managers and Agents and press and lots of friends of friends.

When K was the ' in drink ' there was two females who only ever drunk K but one night we were out of stock and they were disappointed so I offered them another Cider but they said ' but we don't drink Cider we only drink K ' - I explained K was Cider but amazingly they did not believe me so I showed them a empty bottle and they were shocked it was Cider - god knows what they thought they were drinking  !!! - a few years later we could not give the drink away as it was no longer a ' in drink '

We enjoyed working there just to get the Backstage Compound pass but it was never a favourite place to have a drink in.   

We were told that it would not be fair on the volunteers to staff that bar, but a lot of people seem to be going for their training soon they can ask if that is still the case. I have only worked on the Acoustic bar and the Park bar. 

3 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

We were told that it would not be fair on the volunteers to staff that bar, but a lot of people seem to be going for their training soon they can ask if that is still the case. I have only worked on the Acoustic bar and the Park bar. 

That is a strange explanation - I will find out the real reason and let you know. 

So your tent Manager was Aiden Grimes - I have knowing him for over 30 years - I worked there a few times in the Acoustic area bar and worked at the Park in 2008

were you aware that Aiden was one of the people who set up Avalon bars ?

That multi coloured Marquee the WBC had two of them and one was in the area called the Dance Village { now renamed  Silver Hayes } anyway one year that other multi coloured  Marquee tent was struck by lightning - you would not think a lightning strike would do so much damage but it did - the whole bloody lot came down { it was not open at the time }

its the only year where a bar has been completely closed just over lightning - the tent erectors were at a different festival although they did show up on the Sunday 

I happened to be walking past the collapsed tent and spotted security was not on the job and there was a few Jokers trying to lift some stuff so I went over and chased them away and was on the radio to WBC security HQ who for some daft reason had decided it was low priority  !!! - sure all the stock was not there but all the pumping and cooling equipment { worth a fortune } was so it still needed guarding - anyway it all got sorted out. 

park-bar-side.thumb.jpg.f785454112db96639bd465a2fd6753c4.jpggeneral-park-area.thumb.jpg.acef35cf46b55339c9b033f1f0283ebf.jpg

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

That is a strange explanation - I will find out the real reason and let you know. 

So your tent Manager was Aiden Grimes - I have knowing him for over 30 years - I worked there a few times in the Acoustic area bar and worked at the Park in 2008

were you aware that Aiden was one of the people who set up Avalon bars ?

That multi coloured Marquee the WBC had two of them and one was in the area called the Dance Village { now renamed  Silver Hayes } anyway one year that other multi coloured  Marquee tent was struck by lightning - you would not think a lightning strike would do so much damage but it did - the whole bloody lot came down { it was not open at the time }

its the only year where a bar has been completely closed just over lightning - the tent erectors were at a different festival although they did show up on the Sunday 

I happened to be walking past the collapsed tent and spotted security was not on the job and there was a few Jokers trying to lift some stuff so I went over and chased them away and was on the radio to WBC security HQ who for some daft reason had decided it was low priority  !!! - sure all the stock was not there but all the pumping and cooling equipment { worth a fortune } was so it still needed guarding - anyway it all got sorted out. 

park-bar-side.thumb.jpg.f785454112db96639bd465a2fd6753c4.jpggeneral-park-area.thumb.jpg.acef35cf46b55339c9b033f1f0283ebf.jpg

Yes it was Aiden. I likes Aiden a nice person all in, and the Acoustic bar (in my humble opinion but each to their own) was the best bar to work in. I didn't realise that Aiden had set up Avalon. You live and learn. There is a crew bar up from it that we pop in for a quick drink before all the music starts. Once the music starts they seem to restrict entry.  Lightning at Glastonbury must be truly frightening. 

3 hours ago, fuztownsend01 said:

let is know how it goes and what it involves for all of us who are attending 15th & 16th. cheers

Was fine. 

A lot of emphasis on not serving people underage and rules and regulations and implications if you do and also checking ID etc. 

then some stuff about how shifts work, how the bars operate and dos and don’ts when on shift. A lot of it is common sense but good to have it drilled in.

Was ran by a lady called Jean who I think glasto_worker knows.

one girl asked if there would be any facilities for her hair dryer and Jean said ‘you must usually do glamping’ ?

was 90 mins long. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Yes it was Aiden. I likes Aiden a nice person all in, and the Acoustic bar (in my humble opinion but each to their own) was the best bar to work in. I didn't realise that Aiden had set up Avalon. You live and learn. There is a crew bar up from it that we pop in for a quick drink before all the music starts. Once the music starts they seem to restrict entry.  Lightning at Glastonbury must be truly frightening. 

Two shots of Aiden at Reading festival say 14 years ago { or close } - that is a Crew Bar {the WBC bought the Club house and the football ground as it was close to the festival site } # Never let him sing ' you will regret it ' #

The other is the Guest bar at Glastonbury 15 or so years ago.

The last time I was in Aiden's bar they were running a till system - the WBC don't bother with that system as it slows things down but I can appreciate why Avalon does it.

961_7470_n.thumb.jpg.ad49fbce9d61dabba7184338060ad66f.jpg961_7471_n.thumb.jpg.40472163b523b6df540f2c05e277c11e.jpgbackstage-bar.thumb.jpg.f924b35c21c8baff54adf61c3b8bf968.jpg

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Was fine. 

A lot of emphasis on not serving people underage and rules and regulations and implications if you do and also checking ID etc. 

then some stuff about how shifts work, how the bars operate and dos and don’ts when on shift. A lot of it is common sense but good to have it drilled in.

Was ran by a lady called Jean who I think glasto_worker knows.

one girl asked if there would be any facilities for her hair dryer and Jean said ‘you must usually do glamping’ ?

was 90 mins long. 

What was the general information on shift times and patterns?