Respect the Females (and other rules)

kalifire

1 minute ago, somecoolusername said:

I love a solo gig - it's probably conditioning from growing up and none of my friends really liking the music I liked - so I had to get used to going on my own! Now I do have friends that like the music I like but it's still fun to go alone sometimes.  Just have to be much more aware of my surroundings if I'm at a gig by myself

First gig I ever went to by myself was Guru at the Olympia theatre in Dublin. Cos I was by myself I got a single front row seat. I had my bottle of Heineken in my hand. My only drink of the night. Extra bonus points less trips to the loo.

Had THE best gig ever. Totally absorbed and a completely different experience. Donald Byrd on Trumpet and even as a huge Beastie Boys Fan I can never remember the name of their DJ who performed as well. Fuck that gig was incredible. I'm sure I hung out with some amazing men and had a great chat about how great the gig was without feeling I was about to be raped. #notallmen #weknow

I haven't had any bad experiences of inappropriate behaviour at gigs, but, without being ageist, suspect it's because I am a not particularly attractive middle aged woman.  I tend to attract the 20 somethings in search of a surrogate mother!  But I hate the thought that younger women are finding that attending music and their favourite bands has been tainted by dick-heads.  And am glad it is now being discussed so we are all more aware of it.

On the issue of height, I remember going to a gig with my son where he lifted me to his height and then crouched to my height.  We were both equally gob-smacked by the respective view!  At the replacement Foos gig at Milton Keynes after the broken leg cancellation, I couldn't see the stage nor the screen even.  I'd forgotten what percentage of Foo fans were youngish males so all a foot taller than me (well, that's how it seemed!).

5 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I would rather die. 

Too dramatic? ?

Seriously though I'm not stationary at a gig and would rather be able to dance vs. see. 

My gripe, and I saw it again tonight, is people who work their way to the front of a gig and then stand there with their arms folded, severely impeding the dancing of those around them. Why get that front and centre and then look pissy when the crowd's moving ffs??

3 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

On the issue of height, I remember going to a gig with my son where he lifted me to his height and then crouched to my height.  We were both equally gob-smacked by the respective view! 

Happily had people sit on my shoulders, but I'd never been up there myself (6 foot and 14 odd stone). Until a massive lad I was sharing a cider with at Benicassim during Biffy offers to put me up. Initially declined, but he insisted so up I went.

Fuck me it's amazing up there!!! :lol:

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Happily had people sit on my shoulders, but I'd never been up there myself (6 foot and 14 odd stone). Until a massive lad I was sharing a cider with at Benicassim during Biffy offers to put me up. Initially declined, but he insisted so up I went.

Very jealous!  I wasn't even on his shoulders!  He just lifted me so that I could experience what it was to be 6 foot!  I too have never been on shoulders - that must be awesome!  If I promise to lose weight before June so that I'm less than 10 stone, have I got any offers?

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Very jealous!  I wasn't even on his shoulders!  He just lifted me so that I could experience what it was to be 6 foot!  I too have never been on shoulders - that must be awesome!  If I promise to lose weight before June so that I'm less than 10 stone, have I got any offers?

Madam, you have a deal. But i wouldn't worry that much about the weight :D

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Yog, I did post earlier that I mentioned it, said I would give downvotes for it and followed through. Are you asking me to prove the post was ignored? Cos to be fair, it would be easier to find one that was quoted and liked. The fact for me is, is that it has been mentioned in passing and also in stand alone posts. 

Also, it is not my job to police the forum and write the rules of behaviour. The general feeling is glowing but attitudes are harder. I find myself a victim of the same stereotypes. 

I think you down voted me for it a long while ago... I assure you it was meant in all innocence, however I took notice, didn’t whine and never did it again :)

ps I’m 6’2” and always have a little check around me at gigs, to make sure I’m not inconveniencing someone shorter. It’s still surprising how frequently my own view gets blocked though, feel like a giant magnet sometimes (in that I attract giants not that I am a magnet of extraordinary size).

1 minute ago, John the Moth said:

I think you down voted me for it a long while ago... I assure you it was meant in all innocence, however I took notice, didn’t whine and never did it again :)

ps I’m 6’2” and always have a little check around me at gigs, to make sure I’m not inconveniencing someone shorter. It’s still surprising how frequently my own view gets blocked though, feel like a giant magnet sometimes (in that I attract giants not that I am a magnet of extraordinary size).

Thank you. I tried to give you an uppey but I'm all out for today. Will make sure to rectify that neg a few times. Thank you for noticing. 

1 minute ago, John the Moth said:

If you get blocked at 6'2", can you imagine how often it happens when you're 5'3"" ?  ??

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

My gripe, and I saw it again tonight, is people who work their way to the front of a gig and then stand there with their arms folded, severely impeding the dancing of those around them. Why get that front and centre and then look pissy when the crowd's moving ffs??

Seriously!! One of the recent gigs I went to there were 2 girls holding the front bar and elbowing out their space. I call shall now call them Hobar's. HOLD THE BAR. HOLD BAR. HOLBAR. HOBARRR.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm fairly short, but I've got a bit of weight to me, and I feel bad thinking I'm causing someone discomfort, but I went up for the first time at a fest in Sept and holy shit it was life changing. I was the only one up and it was Father John Misty, and he looked right at me and gave me a look like "you asshole". Truly amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Seriously!! One of the recent gigs I went to there were 2 girls holding the front bar and elbowing out their space. I call shall now call them Hobar's. HOLD THE BAR. HOLD BAR. HOLBAR. HOBARRR.

I'm fairly short, but I've got a bit of weight to me, and I feel bad thinking I'm causing someone discomfort, but I went up for the first time at a fest in Sept and holy shit it was life changing. I was the only one up and it was Father John Misty, and he looked right at me and gave me a look like "you asshole". Truly amazing. 

So needed to upvote that but you've used me up. Brilliant. 

5 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

It's the sort of thing that can make someone's night. Watching Chills at a fest and a group of girls went nuts when the played Zephyr Song, was their group tune kind of thing. One of them was so short she made HMV look like a giant, and she was just pogoing on the spot trying to see the stage. So I asked her if she would like a boost, and when she came down she was almost in tears she was that happy. Totally worth a bit of discomfort on the back of your neck to make someone that happy

Edited by Quark

Just now, Beerqueen said:

Yep!  That's why I liked it!  (still don't know the difference between upvote and liking!)

Don't think there is a difference to be honest. Although sometimes a like seems more appropriate than an upvote is that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

If you get blocked at 6'2", can you imagine how often it happens when you're 5'3"" ?  ??

Oh absolutely, my wife is 5’4” and I’m always conscious of what view she has. Had to get seated tickets for a few gigs that she was really keen on as she likes to see rather than dance.

28 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

First gig I ever went to by myself was Guru at the Olympia theatre in Dublin. Cos I was by myself I got a single front row seat. I had my bottle of Heineken in my hand. My only drink of the night. Extra bonus points less trips to the loo.

Had THE best gig ever. Totally absorbed and a completely different experience. Donald Byrd on Trumpet and even as a huge Beastie Boys Fan I can never remember the name of their DJ who performed as well. Fuck that gig was incredible. I'm sure I hung out with some amazing men and had a great chat about how great the gig was without feeling I was about to be raped. #notallmen #weknow

Speaking of Beastie Boys - they said it pretty well... 

"I want to say a little something that's long overdue / the disrespect to women has got to be through / To all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends / I wanna offer my love and respect 'til the end"

Saw them when I was 14. Now that was a formative gig experience!