John Lennon Peace Statue

Gnomicide

Bizarrely enough there's a random statue of John Lennon in a very small park somewhere just outside central Havana, Cuba. I was doing a bus tour of the city in 2010. The tour guide was talking us through the various main sights and points of historical interest, then seemingly of his own accord, the driver took some twists and turns down little roads, stopped the bus, stood up, then in Spanish presumably said "Right, everybody off the bus, there's a statue of John Lennon over there and I've brought some glasses with me, take a picture" So that's what we did. True story. Here it is....

186.JPG

Edited by Northern Soul
The glasses weren't part of the statue, the bus driver placed them on it for us to take the picture!

5 hours ago, chatty said:

What's the odds on a fuss being kicked up due to iconising a wife beating, absent father, heroin addict, pathological liar etc etc etc

I don't understand your point.

The guy was an arse and a great advocate for peace at the same time. If people want to condemn him for the former, then that's fair enough in my opinion. If you're an advocate for Lennon, you should be praising the things he did right rather than arguing against the things he did wrong surely.

Edited by The Placid Casual

38 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yoko did a brilliant job of sifting out the simple shit munchers from the audience last time she played, ensured only the true cognoscenti were down the front for St Vincent afterwards. She can bring that weird racket back any time.

She lost me a few years ago with that wish tree thing,I wrote "I wish my wing man would fall into the long drop" never happened so cheers Yoko,maybe this year I'll just have make that wish come true by myself

44 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yoko did a brilliant job of sifting out the simple shit munchers from the audience last time she played, ensured only the true cognoscenti were down the front for St Vincent afterwards. She can bring that weird racket back any time.

I was baffled by it. Decided to depart about 1/4 through that baffling set to take a trip up the ribbon tower. Railing stains were playing like a rolling stone nearby at the time while we were queueing which made for a great experience.

The glories of Glastonbury eh?

7 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

I don't understand your point.

The guy was an arse and a great advocate for peace at the same time. If people want to condemn him for the former, then that's fair enough in my opinion. If you're an advocate for Lennon, you should be praising the things he did right rather than arguing against the things he did wrong surely.

I think some people either like him,not like him,feel indifferent or can separate his private life from his work/influence. Or a mixture of all above like I kinda am. I like some of his songs(I don't claim to be huge fan) I like the message he was trying to convey. But then on the other hand I think slapping your wife about is bang out of order and understand why people feel he's a hypocrite. I know that's a very simple view but then I'm in the mind of if you don't like something or someone then you don't have to see it and let's be honest your not going to find many music stars that are squeaky clean.

5 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I think some people either like him,not like him,feel indifferent or can separate his private life from his work/influence. Or a mixture of all above like I kinda am. I like some of his songs(I don't claim to be huge fan) I like the message he was trying to convey. But then on the other hand I think slapping your wife about is bang out of order and understand why people feel he's a hypocrite. I know that's a very simple view but then I'm in the mind of if you don't like something or someone then you don't have to see it and let's be honest your not going to find many music stars that are squeaky clean.

Don't think Gruff Rhys has smacked his wife about and he's a superstar.