2019 TICKET CHAT

bsolxiv

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

That said, my predominant thought is that our luck will run out and I am already thinking of how to max out the festival next year and appreciate every single moment. A mate in my group has, quite rightly, suggested that we treat every Glastonbury as if it is our last. This year's ticket day carnage shows that that's exactly what we should do. So, I'll be pouring over the techno line-up with even more obsession than usual! 

Ben

Posted this in the 'For those who missed out in the past' thread, but rings true here ....

That's lovely.

Us old timers appreciate how lucky we've been over the years. Every year on the way out I climb the hill to the gate (these last few years - Gate A) and just before leaving turn and take a long look telling myself that this one might be the last. I try to tell myself that all good things must come to an end ...... (just not quite yet and we go again this year!).

In years that I've missed a ticket in October and relied on the re-sales, the next few months are horrible. Sorry. Good luck to all.

Benny - Looking forward to our date at Genosys in June!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mackem said:

This forum was an absolute boon in this days. When it held up, there would be live posts during the sale with tips on back doors, 2nd pages, gates left open etc by people who'd got through. Sometimes people would get 30, 40 tickets just by getting through once, ordering, then clicking back and re-entering new registrations. Who remembers the Freyja back door year? eFesters got a ridiculously high proportion of tickets in years when it did sell out quickly. Those days have gone though and it's a much more level playing field.

Haha all this sounds victorious! What’s the Freyja back door ?

I think a lot of the frustration I’ve read online has come from people who made it on to the ticket page and after entering all the details the page crashes and they get booted out. There were some people who saw the ticket page multiple times and still didn’t get tickets. If that happened to me I’d go fucking mental and if see could do something to sort that I think it’d be an improvement. Beyond that I think the process is as fair as it can be. I’ve yet to read a suggestion of an alternative system that would be an improvement. I think Glastonbury should be commended on how they operate, imagine if they took the photos off the tickets! 

Edited by Madyaker
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, eFestivals said:

as ever, it's completely random - but the people who got thru feel they must have done something special to get thru.

Nope, that's just random doing its thing.

You're probably right, but every year some people get the white screen of death pretty much the whole time, while others seem to consistently reach the holding page.  This makes me think there must be more to it than pure random luck, but I've yet to fathom what exactly. Sadly I wasn't one of the lucky ones this time, but it's still early days :)

5 minutes ago, NaturalWine said:

It was Freya, I think, which was one of the server names of the Seetickets system at that time. It was possible to go direct to the server and buy the tickets when you couldn't get a page going by the 'proper' route.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, doogie said:

You're probably right, but every year some people get the white screen of death pretty much the whole time, while others seem to consistently reach the holding page.  This makes me think there must be more to it than pure random luck, but I've yet to fathom what exactly. Sadly I wasn't one of the lucky ones this time, but it's still early days :)

this year I got the holding page almost constantly in one browser on one machine, but nothing in its other browser or the 3 browsers on two other machines on my desk.

There's no technical reason at this end for why that should happen.

So it must be something out of my control at See's end of things.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It was Freya, I think, which was one of the server names of the Seetickets system at that time. It was possible to go direct to the server and buy the tickets when you couldn't get a page going by the 'proper' route.

How would you have got onto Freya server at that time ? Is it like the host hack  

12 minutes ago, NaturalWine said:

In 2004 there was some sort of server meltdown that stopped people getting through for tickets (or drastically reduced them to an absolute crawl) for hours and hours and hours of refreshing (I think 12hrs or more), until someone on eFestivals posted the Freya link to another server that allowed you to roughly get straight through--it was like mana from heaven and is remembered fondly by all. 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

What was the help provided by that band Blackbud? I can't remember now- was that the Freya link year or a different one? I remember they gave you some helpful info or link for ticket day and you recommended we go see them as gratitude 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

this year I got the holding page almost constantly in one browser on one machine, but nothing in its other browser or the 3 browsers on two other machines on my desk.

There's no technical reason at this end for why that should happen.

So it must be something out of my control at See's end of things.

Hmm.  This supports my theory that there is something (not necessarily nefarious) going on.  While there's undoubtedly a lot of luck involved, I don't think it's completely random and there's quite possibly a solution out there that would guarantee success.

1 hour ago, GlastoEls said:

Glory days for the forum.  Loved it.

Out of interest, are you the one responsible for the Derby flag I quite often see around the site? Brother is a fan and always loves when it pops up. (I do often see someone with a Forest one knocking about too) :ph34r:

One thing I did notice is that every time we got through to the reg details page, it froze and wouldn’t go any further. I decided to stop every other device refreshing through our WiFi and just waited a minute, clicked and it went through straight away. Exactly the same thing happened all 3 times we got through.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

In 2004 there was some sort of server meltdown that stopped people getting through for tickets (or drastically reduced them to an absolute crawl) for hours and hours and hours of refreshing (I think 12hrs or more), until someone on eFestivals posted the Freya link to another server that allowed you to roughly get straight through--it was like mana from heaven and is remembered fondly by all. 

!!!!!!!!! Epic

10 minutes ago, doogie said:

Hmm.  This supports my theory that there is something (not necessarily nefarious) going on.  While there's undoubtedly a lot of luck involved, I don't think it's completely random and there's quite possibly a solution out there that would guarantee success.

My take is that the server is only able to support x number of browser sessions, and that when you've got one it (just about) guarantees you'll continue to get one.

I've no real idea of alternative set-ups, but that sort of idea seems to fit with how I know my own server is configured, as well as how it seems to act at the busiest times.

If it is that, then there's no real way to have a method that guarantees success - because the server is constantly creating and then destroying the service that a user hooks onto, and everything is about the luck of the timing of any person's request. Being spot-on 9am doesn't necessarily give an advantage because the create/destroy process was happening before 9am.

(someone will be along in a mo to laugh at that, probably :P )

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I 'tested' the hosts file hack before I passed it on, too. :lol: 

I remember 'testing' a link posted on eFestivals one year before passing it onto my friend and convinced myself I was doing it out of altruism because I'd feel bad if I passed on a link that didn't work?

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

I remember 'testing' a link posted on eFestivals one year before passing it onto my friend and convinced myself I was doing it out of altruism because I'd feel bad if I passed on a link that didn't work?

From my own position I do feel a sense of responsibility, and I had a bad dose of nervousness about the hosts file hack in case I was sending people to a fraudsters server.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

From my own position I do feel a sense of responsibility, and I had a bad dose of nervousness about the hosts file hack in case I was sending people to a fraudsters server.

Yeah, can you imagine if you posted a tip that not only turned out to be bogus but then meant everyone who tried it missed out on tickets because they were do busy pursuing  red herring! I'd feel awful

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

What was the help provided by that band Blackbud? I can't remember now- was that the Freya link year or a different one? I remember they gave you some helpful info or link for ticket day and you recommended we go see them as gratitude 

Ahh! Blackbud! I loved that band. They came second in the New Bands Competition. Then the year of the flood they were due to be first on the Pyramid, Thursday morning. But because the power was out all over the site they played an acoustic set from the side of the stage. I saw them loads after that til they split up. The lead guy Joe Taylor moved to Israel with Mor Karbasi (he managed and played in her band) and now has a family out there with her. I'd love to see him get the band back together or just come over her for some solo gigs. He was really talented. I remember Jimmy Page turning up to their gig at the Borderline just to see him.

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Out of interest, are you the one responsible for the Derby flag I quite often see around the site? Brother is a fan and always loves when it pops up. (I do often see someone with a Forest one knocking about too) :ph34r:

I’m not, but I’ve spoken to the guy a lot around the festival - makes my day too!