Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

We definitely didn't deserve to win that game unfortunately. Spent an entire second half doing not so much at all. The lads will be disappointed to get so close but it wasn't to be and theyll come back stronger from that. What a ride though! 

Just now, eFestivals said:

flattered by how the penalty thing via VAR worked out in this world cup.

im not sure what your point is. Hes a very good striker who got a knock in the colombia game and was playing at around 60% after.

And if thats true about VAR, wouldnt it be the same for his golden boot competitors?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

BTW, anyone else notice that Croatia worked out just how easy it was to upset the much lauded system?

All it took was closing down Pickford so that he booted the ball up-field, so we couldn't play out from the back.

yup but it worked until the second half. Needs some tweaks which will happen in the next 2 years im sure

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

im not sure what your point is. Hes a very good striker who got a knock in the colombia game and was playing at around 60% after.

He's a very decent striker, but not as good as winning the golden boot suggests he is. That's my point.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

And if thats true about VAR, wouldnt it be the same for his golden boot competitors?

My take is that VAR worked to England's advantage more than other teams, via how we didn't get the calls in the first match and how we set-up for corners. Consequently Kane ended up with more goals than he would have done in slightly different circumstances.

Well it certainly still stings this morning.

Massive conflict of emotions for me and i'm sure most of the country.

Proud of how far we got and the re-established connection between team and us fans but bitterly disappointed having gone a goal up in the semi-final and not being able to close the game out.

A tale of missed opportunity's. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Ryan Sessegnon is a name which comes to mind as a future England star. And Oxelaide was a big miss. 

I thought we did well overall and have no massive complaints. Taking sterling and not Ali off was a mistake but mistakes happen.

Maybe the real world cup final was in our hearts all along?

With all the friends we made along the way and all the fun we had, maybe football really did come home this year?

I have doubts that the ox being present would have made any difference. To me England’s big success was uniting the country and getting rid of a lot of negativity, I think there has been some re writing of history to achieve that, but it worked.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

BTW, anyone else notice that Croatia worked out just how easy it was to upset the much lauded system?

All it took was closing down Pickford so that he booted the ball up-field, so we couldn't play out from the back.

Is it a much lauded system? It was the best system England had with their players. However there was little tactical flexibility and like for like substitutes. For all the talk about a New England to me a lot of the old flaws were still there, eg starting strong and running out of gas and ideas as the game progresses. Long balls and hoping for penalties.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

That knock may be a bit of an excuse, I have seen him play similar in several big games for Spurs when fully fit. Other players have come back from knocks,look at some of the Croatia players yesterday.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

Is it a much lauded system? It was the best system England had with their players.

I heard a fair amount of talk that was saying the 'new' England was the system as well as the young players.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

For all the talk about a New England to me a lot of the old flaws were still there, eg starting strong and running out of gas and ideas as the game progresses. Long balls and hoping for penalties.

this.

Going in to the World Cup I heard a lot about how De Gea and Kane were the best in the world in their positions, neither have convinced me that they deserve that reputation in this tournament.

Listening to the radio discussion this morning it was all about Modric. To me Perisic was the key player. You have to give Croatia huge credit for coming back 3 times in knockout matches, they are a team who never panic and the coach looks like he knows what he is doing. Also can’t believe how much Lovren has improved over recent months.

34 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Going in to the World Cup I heard a lot about how De Gea and Kane were the best in the world in their positions,

I didn’t hear anything like that.

34 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

neither have convinced me that they deserve that reputation in this tournament.

Though I’d agree with that thought based on the tournament. 

But we’d be pretty daft to judge players solely on a single tournament wouldn’t we? 

Otherwise, we’d not rate Messi but we would rate Poborsky?

44 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Listening to the radio discussion this morning it was all about Modric. To me Perisic was the key player. You have to give Croatia huge credit for coming back 3 times in knockout matches, they are a team who never panic and the coach looks like he knows what he is doing. Also can’t believe how much Lovren has improved over recent months.

I was very impressed by Ante Rebic again - player of the tournament for me, albeit I haven’t seen all games. 

8 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I didn’t hear anything like that.

Though I’d agree with that thought based on the tournament. 

But we’d be pretty daft to judge players solely on a single tournament wouldn’t we? 

Otherwise, we’d not rate Messi but we would rate Poborsky?

I think of it as a way of judging alongside the domestic and champions league performances not in isolation. I have always said De Gea reputation is build almost purely on  premiership form, it was a chance to test him in a different environment and I think he failed.

I have always thought Kane was a bit of a flat track bully, the World Cup offered an opportunity to play in some bigger games, he didn’t convince me. So in conclusion I think you judge using evidence from all the different types of football they play and not just one.