Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

2 minutes ago, spoiledff7 said:

"Gender:Male" - lolz

Lolz! I merely don't find it convincing for a festival to not book someone like Kendrick just for the sake of a 50/50 gender festival, that's all. Not sure what is your gripe with that. It is going to be a good festival regardless, I'm just sharing my two cents on what seems to be next year's concept.

Edited by young_contra

2 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I like the 50:50 idea, that way they can bring Erykah Badu or Lauryn Hill (altough she cancells most of her concerts)

My brother went to see Lauryn Hill last month and he said it was the worst gig he's ever experienced. She turned up half an hour before the end of her set, was rude towards the crowd and then left after a couple songs. Love her music but I would rather live in ignorance thinking she isn't an ass.

Just now, Gnarler said:

My brother went to see Lauryn Hill last month and he said it was the worst gig he's ever experienced. She turned up half an hour before the end of her set, was rude towards the crowd and then left after a couple songs. Love her music but I would rather live in ignorance thinking she isn't an ass.

I´ve also heard that she´s a great performer from other people, but yeah that thing of her cancelling concerts or being late is very bad, Gabi probably won´t book her because of that.

2 minutes ago, spoiledff7 said:

Why not? Kendrick has been on tour for about 2 years - if you've not seen him then tough luck. Think it's great that they (MAY) be making an extremely positive step forwards in terms of gender equality & if that means no Kendrick (who played the festival 3 years ago) then so be it.

Fair enough

“I thought what Refused said was appalling and badly thought out. Some festivals should be criticised but I don’t think we’re the festival that should be,” states Scarlett. “As a booker, I’m absolutely doing my best to get as much female representation on the lineup as possible. However, I resent the fact that I would be expected to book a band on gender because they might not be very good.”

https://alreadyheard.com/2000trees-festivals-james-scarlett-you-have-to-move-with-the-industry/

Comments from a small UK rock fest on this point, its good to get closer and closer to a 50:50 split but if you're booking a band based on their gender, whether male or female, and not their work surely that's just as big a problem. Furthermore I think its a problem with the industry as a whole not just festival organisers so they shouldn't have to foot the blame for it all. I'd like to see Flo and some up and comers like Christine and the Queens in higher slots and more female fronted bands but the pool just isn't as large, its not as simple as saying the festival is now 50:50. Even if the lineup is quality this year it wont be healthy as acts will have to be booked sooner than expected.

TLDR - Female acts are good but there's not enough big artists in the industry right now to run a large and non-stale 50:50 festival, but we should be working towards it.

• Upvote 1

I think he has said there will be some bands they've been trying to get for a really long time and some big indie bands who have played in previous editions who will return.

Overall I am much less confident in the lineup as I was before the radio show. I don't think the 50/50 thing is the new normal, I think it's something else. Hopefully, we're not going to see too much reggaeton, although it really seems like they're confident in the genre so maybe we're all in for the best live show in the world from J Balvin, anything could happen.

If last year we expected the likes of Arctic Monkeys, Bjork, Nick Cave, Lorde and even Migos before the lineup was announced, this year I can´t imagine who the headliners will be, a lot of people talk about J Balvin (the only strong contender), Kendrick is ruled out, Interpol don´t seem like a headliner material also. Really confused about that, and with all this female thing it´s even a bigger question. 

30 minutes ago, young_contra said:

Lolz! I merely don't find it convincing for a festival to not book someone like Kendrick just for the sake of a 50/50 gender festival, that's all. Not sure what is your gripe with that. It is going to be a good festival regardless, I'm just sharing my two cents on what seems to be next year's concept.

They're clearly not going to skip out on Kendrick because they're aiming for a 50/50 split. He'd probably be top of their list of acts to book. If any male acts are missing out because of a 50/50 split it'll be ones who are less of a priority to book and instead of them they'll have female acts who are just as good.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

They're clearly not going to skip out on Kendrick because they're aiming for a 50/50 split. He'd probably be top of their list of acts to book. If any male acts are missing out because of a 50/50 split it'll be ones who are less of a priority to book and instead of them they'll have female acts who are just as good.

Yeah, you're right, I misjudged the situation. My bad.