Brexit Schmexit

LJS

2 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

I was just making a narrow point that it is unfair to smear anyone who has ever supported Brexit as lining up with the view that 2nd referendum campaigners should go to jail.

Who has the potential to cause the most damage to the country. A labour leader who thinks Brexit is a good idea, or some random who thinks campaigners should go to jail?

For labour to change course they need a change of leader or the leader to be put under pressure. However putting any pressure is seen as disloyalty. Untill the pro remain, pro (but not to an extreme level) Corbyn people like Zahidf start to lose faith in Corbyn, things will not change.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Who has the potential to cause the most damage to the country. A labour leader who thinks Brexit is a good idea, or some random who thinks campaigners should go to jail?

For labour to change course they need a change of leader or the leader to be put under pressure. However putting any pressure is seen as disloyalty. Untill the pro remain, pro (but not to an extreme level) Corbyn people like Zahidf start to lose faith in Corbyn, things will not change.

I’ve already said I don’t approve of the Labour leadership, and I agree with Neil that the best thing for Labour would probably be for Corbyn to drop dead (and McDonnell not to stand afterwards).

However, you’re the one who linked them to the conspiracy theorist nutjobs for no good reason.

44 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

I’ve already said I don’t approve of the Labour leadership, and I agree with Neil that the best thing for Labour would probably be for Corbyn to drop dead (and McDonnell not to stand afterwards).

However, you’re the one who linked them to the conspiracy theorist nutjobs for no good reason.

If you think before 2015 Corbyn was considered every bit as nutty as Hoey, Stringer etc. His supporters have just given him a free pass. 

The reality is we both agree that Brexit is very bad and I think we are both frustrated that we don’t have the politicians on the left capable of stopping this madness. Those who support Corbyn are happy to blame Cameron, May, Boris, JRM etc but take no responsibility themselves. In my view it’s time they stand up and try and fix this mess, they are partially responsible for.

9 hours ago, zahidf said:

Who knew? Some people don't like immigrants. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Labour back the same proposals for immigration for the future as the tories do - immigration based on skills and the country's needs, and not open-door to people that this country doesn't really need.

While some people like to scream 'racist' but won't hold a discussion on why this country might need immigration, and at what levels.

For all the while people refuse the discussion they give the racists the narrative.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Here is Jez offering something similar to may...

Nah, he's demanding that May makes the deal on his terms. Not the same thing at all.

And he's talking bollocks anyway, because that deal couldn't be done anymore than May's can. The wording suggests it can, but that's before Corbyn's own red lines get thrown in there.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nah, he's demanding that May makes the deal on his terms. Not the same thing at all.

And he's talking bollocks anyway, because that deal couldn't be done anymore than May's can. The wording suggests it can, but that's before Corbyn's own red lines get thrown in there.

Person disagrees 

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Person disagrees 

so where is Corbyn saying May can can her wants from brexit?

BTW, the EU have agreed to a common rule book in principle (it's one of the few bits from the chequers plan they have), so that's not any issue. 

One of the issues with what Corbyn has proposed is that May would have to submit about the backstop - signing over sovereignty over NI to the EU. Corbyn might be happy to do that, but in constitutional terms its wrong as there's no public endorsing it (it breaks the GFA for a start!).

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

maybe he doesn't understand irony despite having lived here all his life?

I'd like to say that's meant as a joke - but I'm not laughing. ;)

North Londoners don't have the same values as other Brits, they have an isolated lifestyle and different priorities to the rest of the people in this country ;) 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45690898

Glad to see there are some sensible people on both sides.

I'm so glad it's now OK to have a second referendum when you don't like the result ...

Cameron: EU referendum is a 'once in a generation' decision

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/feb/23/cameron-eu-referendum-hague-a-divisive-referendum-campaign-could-damage-tories-for-a-generation-politics-live

21 minutes ago, LJS said:

I'm so glad it's now OK to have a second referendum when you don't like the result ...

The EU referendum ( like the Scottish one) was full of fibs on both sides. Now people can see the reality, it's possible they may think different. I don't think there is a majority in parliament for any option, I therefore think the public should have their say.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

The EU referendum ( like the Scottish one) was full of fibs on both sides. Now people can see the reality, it's possible they may think different. I don't think there is a majority in parliament for any option, I therefore think the public should have their say.

I totally agree. In Scotland, there is a majority in parliament for a second independence referendum.

I take it we can now count on your support.

3 minutes ago, LJS said:

I totally agree. In Scotland, there is a majority in parliament for a second independence referendum.

I take it we can now count on your support.

Not at present, I think the priority should be to sort out Brexit. Once we know the terms of Brexit then I'm happy for the Scotland decision to be revisited. 

For the sake of consistency I would also be happy for the Scottish people to reconsider if they voted indie and then changed their mind when they saw the deal on the table.

1 hour ago, LJS said:

A twattish decision is a twattish decision, especially when won on lies.

Sturgeon won't back another EU referendum cos she's scared it'll fuck up her precious indy dreams (that'll be won on lies, if its won) ... so she's happy to throw Scots over the cliff instead. 

Another example of kipper-like stupidity.

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

A twattish decision is a twattish decision, especially when won on lies.

Sturgeon won't back another EU referendum cos she's scared it'll fuck up her precious indy dreams (that'll be won on lies, if its won) ... so she's happy to throw Scots over the cliff instead. 

Another example of kipper-like stupidity.

Ah, I get it.

If Neil disagrees with the result, it's fine to have a 2nd referendum. Even when there is no democratic mandate for one.

On the other hand, if Neil agrees with the result it's not OK to have a 2nd referendum even if there is s democratic mandate for it .

Just now, LJS said:

Ah, I get it.

If Neil disagrees with the result, it's fine to have a 2nd referendum. Even when there is no democratic mandate for one.

On the other hand, if Neil agrees with the result it's not OK to have a 2nd referendum even if there is s democratic mandate for it .

Out of interest what is the SNP policy on Brexit now? You haven't had much coverage south of the border since the last election