Who is left to still play the festival?

Matt42

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/04/2017 at 9:03 PM, eastynh said:

Found this about The Roses playing Pilton. It says they played for free with all the money going to charity.

The Stone Roses were fecking ace, they had it all. What happened to them? They really did have the world at their feet. Now they are whoring themselves out for silly money and having the fans over with the shit they have put out. It was not meant to happen this way.

http://www.john-squire.com/articles/nme95-09-16.html

It seems by all accounts that Reni is causing all of the problems. Allegedly the drums on the new singles were just loops, as he walked out on the recording sessions, and he's now apparently failing to turn up to rehearsals. To be honest, combined with money, I'd make Reni's petulance/awkwardness (or both) the main reason behind their lack of new material (which many don't even care about), and additionally any Glasto appearance.

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

It seems by all accounts that Reni is causing all of the problems. Allegedly the drums on the new singles were just loops, as he walked out on the recording sessions, and he's now apparently failing to turn up to rehearsals. To be honest, combined with money, I'd make Reni's petulance/awkwardness (or both) the main reason behind their lack of new material (which many don't even care about), and additionally any Glasto appearance.

He walked out on the Roses last time due to Squire wanting him to drum to a click track.

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

He's a bigger loss than Squire was. If he'd stayed, they could maybe have carried on without Squire. (he would have been a loss still, but it may have worked). 

idk, I don't think I'd be interested in seeing them if any of the four were replaced. Mind you I'm actually not interested in seeing them again unless they put out a good album anyway, which doesn't seem to be on the cards. Bit of a poor showing that they've been back for five years but all they've put out is one extremely crap song.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

idk, I don't think I'd be interested in seeing them if any of the four were replaced. Mind you I'm actually not interested in seeing them again unless they put out a good album anyway, which doesn't seem to be on the cards. Bit of a poor showing that they've been back for five years but all they've put out is one extremely crap song.

Correction: to their credit, they've actually put out two extremely crap songs.

Reni stormed out of that gig in Amsterdam too didn't he.

It's a far cry from the Ride reunion, where they've all been apologetic and admitted they were a bit stupid back in the day.

Prob shows the difference between your average Mancs and some posh boys from Oxford.

Edited by Homer

Reni is the only true musical genius in that band, but as i've said before, they're the ultimate example of a band whose sum is greater than the parts. That bit in the Shane Meadows doc when they start playing together and the magic takes over. Best illustration i've ever seen of what it must be like to be in a band when it really clicks.

Just now, Mardy said:

Reni is the only true musical genius in that band, but as i've said before, they're the ultimate example of a band whose sum is greater than the parts. That bit in the Shane Meadows doc when they start playing together and the magic takes over. Best illustration i've ever seen of what it must be like to be in a band when it really clicks.

I had always thought they were all pretty decent, bar the obvious exception of Ian Brown.

In a similar vein, everyone always associates The Doors with Jim Morrison, but the other three were all f@cking brilliant (although Morrison could actually single - albeit in the club style for some reason).

Edited by Homer

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That bit in the Shane Meadows doc when they start playing together and the magic takes over. Best illustration i've ever seen of what it must be like to be in a band when it really clicks.

The first rehearsal bit? That was an amazing scene.

7 minutes ago, Mardy said:

There's a passage in a book I read about U2 from a few years back about tge writing of Achtung Baby, where they are really struggling to come up with anything and then they hit upon the riff to One, Bono starts with the "We are one but we're not the same, we've got to carry each other" over the top of it and they're away. 

It's  (obviously) much better described in the book but a similar thing to the moment Mardy has described, there's something magical when a band clicks together.

See also Springsteen's description of playing with The Stones in his recent biography. 

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Apologies for the whopper of a generalisation.

Excuse you! That's not how this works, you're supposed to double down on the generalisation and then it spirals off into a massive argument that derails the thread for 6 pages or more. I dread to think what will happen if everybody starts being reasonable.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Excuse you! That's not how this works, you're supposed to double down on the generalisation and then it spirals off into a massive argument that derails the thread for 6 pages or more. I dread to think what will happen if everybody starts being reasonable.

Ha ha - I've never been afraid to apologise on a forum... it really throws/annoys people!

It's a bit of a curveball tactic.

Just now, Gnomicide said:

There's a passage in a book I read about U2 from a few years back about tge writing of Achtung Baby, where they are really struggling to come up with anything and then they hit upon the riff to One, Bono starts with the "We are one but we're not the same, we've got to carry each other" over the top of it and they're away. 

It's  (obviously) much better described in the book but a similar thing to the moment Mardy has described, there's something magical when a band clicks together.

See also Springsteen's description of playing with The Stones in his recent biography. 

I read an interview with Blur about the last album that they made in no time.

Apparently William Orbit was once amazed at how they work.

Damon basically says 'I've got something, Graham, here are the chords'. Graham starts playing something with those chords and Alex and Dave jump in and play along. Orbit was amazed at how quickly it all works, but (I think) Alex said 'that's how it's always worked when we get together'.

Actually, on that note, I'm also pretty sure that the first song they ever wrote together was She's So High (not a bad start).

On 4/13/2017 at 10:03 AM, rumpola said:

Kraftwerk

Ray LaMontagne

Lynyrd Skynyrd

I'm not 100% sure if these haven't played the festival in the past, or if they are still performing, but I would love to see any of them at the festival at some point.

Kraftwerk would be great, but imagine they'd probably want fairly decent money.  
Doesn't Ray have mega bad stage fright, like singing in the dark at the side of the stage, bad?  
Skynyrd haven't existed since the crash.  There are better tribute acts than the one rolling around using their name.

I also read an interview with the guy from Foster the People. He was in the studio and it was really sunny and was going to the beach. At the last sec he challenged himself to stay and not leave until he had written something from scratch (he was working from nothing). And basically through 100% perspiration and 0% inspiration he forced himself to write Pumped Up Kicks, which went multi-mega platinum, in an afternoon.