British Sea Power

mickmcmicklemick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant show tonight, I wouldn't have bothered if not for the recommendations in this thread, so thanks. We got an hour of new stuff (plus a cover of Tugboat Captain by Galaxie 500, much to the displeasure of one attendee) then an hour of classics. The new album didn't wow me when I listened to it the other day, but it was incredible played live, even before they rolled out any of the old songs I was thinking it was the best show I'd seen them do. Then the old songs got a crazy reception, the place went off and the band were clearly loving it. It seems like this new material has breathed new life into them, their gigs were starting to feel a bit perfunctory at times, they're back on top now.

I tried to get into them a few years ago and quite liked their debut but don't remember anything else overly sticking out to me. Will have to give them another go though based on this thread.

Shame they don't seem to play Apologies to Insect Life though, can imagine that'd be a great short burst live.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched short set from the band on BBC IPlayer .From BBC Scotland.s Quay sessions .(go Catogories>Scotland>Quay Sessions...Included a fab version of The Great Skua from Sea Of Brass .And of course the polar bear makes an appearence . Def worth a look if your a fan .

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, big__phil said:

That Moonlandingz clash though...a real Sophie's Choice for me.

Already seen BSP on this tour, so normally it would be easy decision to go for the band I haven't seen before...but I bloody love BSP.

ARGH!

I feel your pain but I just can't ever turn down a chance to see BSP never let me down and I've had some amazing times at their gigs

9 minutes ago, big__phil said:

That Moonlandingz clash though...a real Sophie's Choice for me.

Already seen BSP on this tour, so normally it would be easy decision to go for the band I haven't seen before...but I bloody love BSP.

ARGH!

An unfortunate clash, wanted to watch both bands. I think I'm going to go with The Moonlandingz but will reassess on the day.

I also can't imagine watching Sea Power during the day on such a big stage. John Peel or Park later on in the evening would have been ideal.

4 minutes ago, Impropaganda said:

I feel your pain but I just can't ever turn down a chance to see BSP never let me down and I've had some amazing times at their gigs

Yeah, they are phenomenal live, but I've also heard good things about Moonlandingz.

3 minutes ago, AmyShambles said:

I also can't imagine watching Sea Power during the day on such a big stage. John Peel or Park later on in the evening would have been ideal.

Totally agree, but I could see BSP doing well on that stage. They've got a pretty meaty live sound, and The Great Skua deserves the biggest crowd it can get.

The other thing to consider is I NEED to be at Thundercat after, and for the whole set. If I see BSP I won't have to leave early, but I'd need to miss the end of Moondlandingz to get there in time.

Decisions decisions.

Looking forward to this one.  Have only seen them once before, in 2013 after having almost forgotten about them really, and it was such a great gig that I was annoyed with myself for letting them slide.  New album is a good one and should sound great on the Other stage mixed in with the classics.