Emily NME interview

shuttlep

47 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah okay. In the same sort of area of the site is that? bit nearer the pyramid? was it just camping in its place? and did people generally think it worked?

Turns out it works so well that it's ludicrous it didn't get moved sooner.  The old Peel felt plonked, now it's actually an area.  An area that doesn't turn to mush at the slightest moisture.  The Wood makes the walk over from the Pyramid bloody lovely too.  I thought it was pretty soulless before and rarely bothered going over but it feels more like part of the festival now.  I can only imagine it'll have even more of its own character next year. 

51 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've always thought this way, but I really quite fancy The Temple after hearing about how much fun it was this year. I might even queue for a bit to in next year.

We were straight in there after Muse on Friday night for Dub Phizix. No queuing. Made the mistake of leaving and got soaked. The Common is one of my favourite areas.

27 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Turns out it works so well that it's ludicrous it didn't get moved sooner.  The old Peel felt plonked, now it's actually an area.  An area that doesn't turn to mush at the slightest moisture.  The Wood makes the walk over from the Pyramid bloody lovely too.  I thought it was pretty soulless before and rarely bothered going over but it feels more like part of the festival now.  I can only imagine it'll have even more of its own character next year. 

Sounds brilliant. I know what you mean about it feeling plonked before. So is there camping where it was?

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Right -  where it used to be is now hospitality camping. which means you have to go through silver Hayes from pylon rather than straight out to pyramid like you used to be able to.

However there is now an exit from silver Hayes on your left just before sonic that takes you to those long drops near the old John seel tent. there is also one after sonic that brings you out in the stalls between other and pyramid.

Still with me?

The new John peel is in it's own field now - a bit like the acoustic - with it's own bar and a few food stalls.

If you're stood with your back to where beat hotel was in 2015. there's a path on your left going straight up (north) that takes you into what is now the jp field. the tent is in front of you on the left. the new tent is bigger and imo better. saw explosions in the sky and sigur ros and sound was brilliant.

Opposite the new tent is the entrance to new area the wood. which was ace.

Basically I think the field it's in used to be hospitality.

Yeah I'm basically with you… although I thought you had to go through Silver Hayes from Pylon anyway? Or I might be misremembering...

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You could cut through what is now hospitality and walk at bottom of that camping field - there were food stalls and a nail salon - obviously i never used - on your right and it took you straight to beat hotel.

Oh right yeah, I remember. My sense of direction is appalling and I still get lost. After a year off, I'll be a nightmare. 

2 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I can only imagine it'll have even more of its own character next year. 

No doubt.  I think the site setup issues caused by the weather ahead of the festival meant it was less than it could have been (and was still great).  The bar at the corner of the field only got put together on Wednesday after the festival had opened (much like the Gully still being built through the early part of the festival) and I expect that the place would be even more atmospheric with a bit of decoration.  Even though it was just JPT on one side of the field and the bar at the other the place was a massive improvement, so with some of the Glastonbury decorative magic scattered around it would be a lovely place to spend time.

The woods kicked ass, can't wait to enjoy those shady lanes on a sunny year.

22 hours ago, J1990 said:

I got into the SE corner Friday, Saturday and Sunday directly after the headliners with no queues at all, just had to have a fast walk.

Went to block 9 most of the time, not sure what shangri la was like after the headliners but didn't have any problems getting in all weekend and was there every night.

We went straight from Underworld to Heaven on the Friday night and it was just right (not too rammed). Roni Size, Krust, Adam F and a few others back to back for a few hours. That was a cracking night!

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

No doubt.  I think the site setup issues caused by the weather ahead of the festival meant it was less than it could have been (and was still great).  The bar at the corner of the field only got put together on Wednesday after the festival had opened (much like the Gully still being built through the early part of the festival) and I expect that the place would be even more atmospheric with a bit of decoration.  Even though it was just JPT on one side of the field and the bar at the other the place was a massive improvement, so with some of the Glastonbury decorative magic scattered around it would be a lovely place to spend time.

The woods kicked ass, can't wait to enjoy those shady lanes on a sunny year.

Aye.  A smattering of benches, some flags and a couple of good food stalls and we have a budding West Holts type just-hang-out-and-see-whoever's-on-next area rather than the motorway services it was before.

I'm not sure what Emily was describing, I'm hopeless with maps, get lost a lot and find it hard to imagine spaces !  I hope whatever it is it helps minimise the congestion in some of the very popular areas.  I did like how they'd moved John Peel this year and also the new wooded area to walk through was lovely :wub:

6 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Aye.  A smattering of benches, some flags and a couple of good food stalls and we have a budding West Holts type just-hang-out-and-see-whoever's-on-next area rather than the motorway services it was before.

This is totally what I would like to see, maybe get someone like Brothers to set up a bar over there rather than the generic tent they had this year.  As you say, West Holts works great, just hang out and find new music from around the world and genres you'd not normally come across, JPT has the potential to offer the same for new music and up and coming artists.

6 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Great idea, would love to see that.

The new (old cinema) field has a lot of potental to develop.