Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get this festival out of my head. The headliners look great and after looking into the cost of travel and camping etc, i'm seriously tempted to go. Whats the atmosphere like, my only other experience of fests is T and Wickerman. Does Rock Wertcher have a friendly sort of vibe?  unlike T which ended up a bam fest.

This will make all the difference in convincing the Mrs to go.

38 minutes ago, cobaltstargazer said:

I can't get this festival out of my head. The headliners look great and after looking into the cost of travel and camping etc, i'm seriously tempted to go. Whats the atmosphere like, my only other experience of fests is T and Wickerman. Does Rock Wertcher have a friendly sort of vibe?  unlike T which ended up a bam fest.

It's chilled. I've been with my other half 4 times now and we love it. We even got engaged there a couple of years ago. 

If you go you won't regret it.

Edited by BlockRockinBeats

27 minutes ago, cobaltstargazer said:

I don't like to generalize things, but I have to say that Belgian people are awesome, and very very friendly, as well as other people in this place. In 2014 I went alone at the festival, and I met a lot of amazing people and had a wonderful time with them, without doing necessarily the first step, and I got something like 15 beers offered. Got drunk while celebrating the qualification of Netherlands at World Cup semifinals (I'm not even from Holland but the party was huge), danced with Brazilian girls in front of Rodrigo Y Gabriela, made a kind of dance crew at North West Walls, made friends at Parov Stelar, Pearl Jam, Bastille, Reignwolf shows...and all ages. The only way to not have a blast is to bring negative energies with you. This festival is a blast. There is also another thing : people there know every song... So when an artist is good, the crowd becomes wild easily. Nevertheless crowdsurfing is not allowed, it doesn't prevent some metalheads to do it, I don't really know if they have troubles after that. Anyway it's an amazing musical experience. It's not like Sziget or Glastonbury, it's a MUSIC festival only, with music lovers and great human beings. 

44 minutes ago, cobaltstargazer said:

Guessing by TITP and Wickerman yer Scottish?

Only been to RW once this year and atmosphere was great, everyone was friendly and never saw any hassle. Plus bonus points for a Scottish accent, everyone was friendlier once they heard me speak :lol:

Shame about Justice being ruled out <_< where's the rumours of Jimmy Eat World being announced coming from? Would make my day that. Also chances of Rancid? Seem to be all over the shop next year and just got announced for a Scottish date like the Tuesday after RW.

I think the comment of Tremousse sums up RW really well. Have a positive vibe, go to the front of the crowd, socialize with the Belgians and most importantly: enjoy the music! You'll have an amazing time. In general there is a really chilled vibe, but that doesn't mean there are no parties, you can definitely go crazy! At Werchter you see people of all kinds and ages but you can really notice that everybody is there to have a good time! Would really recommend, especially with this year's line-up. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to rule out Sigur Ros soon as well. They're teasing a (tour) announcement on Monday, while Cactus Festival is also teasing their first announcement for next week. Count in the magical park setting and Massive Attack, Damien Rice, Wilco, Air, Grace Jones, ... headlining past editions, and 1+1 might just be 2.

For tomorrow and next week I'm just expecting another single name, tomorrow for the Friday if they want to keep things balanced. That way they managed to tease us with single announcements for a whole 1,5 month and build up a strong first part of the poster, without giving away too much of the lineup just yet. Then a 3 week break (Music For Life + Christmas holidays), then the start of traditional weekly packages.

37 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

I don't like to generalize things, but I have to say that Belgian people are awesome, and very very friendly, as well as other people in this place. In 2014 I went alone at the festival, and I met a lot of amazing people and had a wonderful time with them, without doing necessarily the first step, and I got something like 15 beers offered. Got drunk while celebrating the qualification of Netherlands at World Cup semifinals (I'm not even from Holland but the party was huge), danced with Brazilian girls in front of Rodrigo Y Gabriela, made a kind of dance crew at North West Walls, made friends at Parov Stelar, Pearl Jam, Bastille, Reignwolf shows...and all ages. The only way to not have a blast is to bring negative energies with you. This festival is a blast. There is also another thing : people there know every song... So when an artist is good, the crowd becomes wild easily. Nevertheless crowdsurfing is not allowed, it doesn't prevent some metalheads to do it, I don't really know if they have troubles after that. Anyway it's an amazing musical experience. It's not like Sziget or Glastonbury, it's a MUSIC festival only, with music lovers and great human beings. 

Well said @Tremousse

9 hours ago, cobaltstargazer said:

Been to RW once before, it was chilled to the point of being slightly dull if anything (at least compared to the friendly mayhem of other festivals). As said above, the focus is very much on the music, not rowdiness.

30 minutes ago, Skankhunt42 said:

guys,,, who we expecting to be announced today?

Major Lazer?

Imagine Dragons?

Netsky??

I would love to see Jimmy Eat World announced. they've been eluding me for ages and im really keen to see them. 

Major Lazer makes sense, since there are basically only rock announcements so far. a dance act makes sense to appeal to a broader audience. I still have a fools hope for Justice.

Anyone knows if theres any chance of having twenty one pilots?

Edited by carlosd

25 minutes ago, Skankhunt42 said:

guys,,, who we expecting to be announced today?

Major Lazer?

Imagine Dragons?

Netsky??

Netsky still has an Antwerp show to sell out, so not expecting his announcement yet. I'm in doubt if Major Lazer are playing RW at all...

Imagine Dragons is definitely possible, but I wonder if they will grant them their seperate announcement. If not, my guess would be Elbow.