Pukkelpop 2016

DDave

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to listen to the lineup really, but just jumping in and listening to whoever, I've immidiately discovered that Graveyard could be right up my street.

Broadly speaking I think it's a good lineup for a first set of names. Headliners are OK, not great and having both the Chems and LCD sound system will please a LOT of people.If there was to be a complaint, it would be the one levied at just about every festival this year, lack of decent "big name" headline band. Glasto and others have Muse, but Reading for example seem to be a bit weak at the top (that said they have Biffy headlining and we have Biffy just another name on the list (they were great last time they played in Shelter). Wanted to see NGHFB for a while now, looked great when I watched them on TV at (I think) Isle of Wight.

I'll listen to the lineup with interst though, found some absolute gems over the years so I hop this year will be no different.

Fact 1: It's the first year that we don't get a big rock headliner (or sub) in the line-up. 

Fact 2: If they coudn't get Rihanna in a last minute booking due to Werchter Boutique cancellation, their headline/sub bands would be so poor again. 

Fact 3: Their original plan for thursday was broken in the last weeks.

Fact 4: Frequency and Reading are missing a big headliner (Reading solve the problem with another co-headline structure and Frequency couldn't announce it in their 1st batch of names). Rock En Seine haven't annouce anything yet.

Conclusion: one big rock headliner has broken the plans of the majority of the European august festivals. This artist was booked to headline thursday at PKP, and thanks to Boutique Wechter cancellation, PKP found the way to solve the problem and not getting another mega shit storm if they had to raise Die Antwoord to headliner status as they did with Bastille and Alt-J last year. Chokri can thank god for boutique miracle. I think that a headline combo Die Antwoord - Chemical Brothers - LCD Soundsystem would had produced a massive negative reaction for PKP goers.

Edited by johnybegood

About fact 2: I do agree they probably had to search for a replacement for that big headliner (probably Green Day). But then in the last few weeks Livenation offered them Rihanna, while Muse also became available. They had to decide and picked the former as Muse already played 4 sold out shows in Belgium this week and headlined Werchter last year. And picking Rihanna was also convenient to keep many of the mainstream fans happy.

Ok so cold light of day time now that the initial excitement has come and gone....(and having the line up poster laid out always helps with perspective)

Thursday is by far the worst day for me. EODM, Chvrches and Die Antwoord are staple Pukkelpop favourites for some reason and none of them do anything for me. Cassius is a great addition however past the dance side of it I could happily miss any of the acts so far barring Wolfmother 

Friday - Best day out of the three by far, Obviously the Chems makes it for me but some good stuff throughout the bill, Noel G, M83, Roisin Murphy, Boy and The Lumineers would be my picks for the rest of the day.

Saturday - Better than Thursday but not by much and that would only be if Soulwax are playing. I'm sure there's good stuff in there but nothing stands out at the moment,

I actually think that last years first announcement had a better undercard - there's nothing that really matches the quality of TWOD, Underworld, Tame Impala and Seasick Steve for example and nothing really stands out as special.

I give it a 6/10. Better start at the top end than last year and could turn out to be a great year but the undercard barring the Friday is really weak so far. - Without the Chems and LCD it'd be a 2/10

I gave a listen to the bands announced and I'm not happy with the announcement. Shelter programma is crap again: lot of metalcore shit. I don't know why the keep that stage alive. I've seen there amazing bands as Bad Religion, NOFX, Toy Dolls, Me First And The Gimme Gimmes, Social Distortion, Lagwagon, The Living End, Rival Schools, Quicksand, Ghost, Filter... The guy who programm this stage keeps it empty during all day. Apart from Refused, Mastodon, Wolfmother and Graveyard, the rest of Shelter bands sucks.

Also, apart from Biffy Clyro, there are not rock bands to play Main Stage. 

I will wait until 2nd annoucement to make my decision. Not sure again, but even though, this 1st annoucement is much better that last year's one.

Edited by johnybegood

42 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Also, apart from Biffy Clyro, there are not rock bands to play Main Stage. 

I will wait until 2nd annoucement to make my decision. Not sure again, but even though, this 1st annoucement is much better that last year's one.

I'm assuming EODM and Wolfmother are also Main Stage bands. 

But I have the same opinion as you do on the lineup. It's a better first announcement than last year. Yet I've already decided not to go for a combi ticket, and I will wait to consider a Friday or Saturday ticket until a big chunk of the lineup is complete. Have the feeling we have few to no Marquee and Club acts announced yet, while those are my preferred stages. 

I think we as festival go'ers are sometimes a bit harsh on the lineups. I've yet to see a lineup anywhere in europe that I would travel for. I have Glastonbury and Pukkelpop as my annual festivals, I am pretty much going regardless of the lineup (tickets permitting) so just look for the positives in the lineup. If I was waiting for something to inspire me before I book a ticket them I would struggle to find somewhere to go on what we have seen anywhere in Europe so far. I would say that, in terms of "wow facor" NOS Alive in Portugal wins for me Ibeen twice, it's great). Leeds festival is about 90 minutes from my house I suppose, I wouldn't go for free with that lineup. Just the way it is now. Insufficient "good rnough" bands touring, or promoters are scared of booking something a bit more "out there" in case it affects ticket sales. It's a business at the end of the day (see V festival for the full horror of its lineup)

That's just me rambling though. Last year was widely considered to be a terrible linueup but I had the best Pukkelpop I've had and saw and enjoyed more bands than I've ever seen.

A local newspaper confirms these constructions to close Main Stage:

Rihanna - Die Antwoord

Chemical Brothers - Chase & Status

LCD Soundsystem - Oscar & The Wolf

Also they're playing with the idea of changing the placement of the tents. 

Edited by Dietediet

Are we to assume then given that Die Antwoord are closing the Thursday, that we still might have no subs for at least 2 of the days yet? There's no obvious sub at all on the Saturday. Bloc Party subbed in 2013 so I suppose they could be a (poor) sub, Chvrches and EODM are the only other real contenders. The EODM should be an afternoon main stager along with Bloc Party and Chvrches are you'd think would headline the Marquee.

Fridays sub should be Noel G but not sure how big he is in Belgium.

If you were a band you wouldn't really want to sub on the Thursday. All those young girls camped out at the front of the Main getting bored and just waiting for Rihanna. There'd be no atmosphere. Same as the (lack of) reaction that pissed Trent Reznor off so much a few years ago when NIN subbed Eminem.

If I were in a mid-sized band playing that day I'd rather headline the Marquee while Rihanna is on. Keep all the riff-raff away and be a much better vibe.

14 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Massive Attack announced for Frequency.

Does that increase the chances of them playing Pukkel then? Would they be Marquee headliners then? Portishead ably represetned Bristol when headlining the Marquee (best set I think I've seen at PKP) could Massive Attack do Bristol proud once agaon? Hope so.

I think we've still got a few decent sized names to come, at least one maybe two subs and perhaps a couple of Marquee headliners. Not sure if Chvrches are big enough to headline the Marquee as they played 4th from top on that stage last year (6.15pm). Can see M83 headlining Friday, although loads of people went into a complete meltdown on twitter when Halsey was announced so perhaps she could do it? Nothing at all so far for Saturday - not even any bands who might play quite high up (might depend on what they do with Biffy Clyro - early evening Main, headline Shelter or late on the Marquee are all options).

Can't see too many bands capable of headlining the Dance Hall either. Think that bellend Martin Solveig will probably close out Thursday but there's no decent sized bands to go on before. Wouldn't be surprised if Sub Focus or Noisia finish things off on Friday but again no bands so far to back them up. Saturday is very bare, with Pendulum being the only one that stands out.

Not sure what this news means for Massive Attack? There's nothing to suggest they're headlining Frequency but the organisers don't seem to have given any indication as to who their headliners are? Marquee would probably be the only place they could play now - as others have said, against Rihanna would be the most obvious and logical option.

14 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Kaytranada self-confirmed. That's Soulwax, Battles, Julia Holter and Kaytranada to surely be in the next announcement.

Hopefully. Surprised Battles weren't confirmed in the first announcement seen as everyone knew they were playing. I'll hold my breath about Soulwax but if they subbed LCD I'd be well chuffed. Can't see it though, more likely Dance Hall spot again.

Now if we can get the likes of Belle and Sebastian, Haim, Hot Chip, Miike Snow and Jagwar Ma it makes for a very good line up. Add the usual couple of bands from Rock Werchter, someone like New Order, Years and Years or even the Kaiser Chiefs and I'll be more than happy.

Assuming they've not already sorted the Thursday sub (Fall Out Boy is a good shout if Green Day did in fact pull out) I can see someone like Snoop subbing the Thursday

13 hours ago, Semprini said:

Can see M83 headlining Friday, although loads of people went into a complete meltdown on twitter when Halsey was announced so perhaps she could do it?

nearly 8000 likes for the tweet she sent confirming her appearance. Madness.

She'll be main stage afternoon you'd think. Just had a listen on Youtube. Bloody horrendous.

29 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Hopefully. Surprised Battles weren't confirmed in the first announcement seen as everyone knew they were playing. I'll hold my breath about Soulwax but if they subbed LCD I'd be well chuffed. Can't see it though, more likely Dance Hall spot again.

Battles have a non-sold out show next week, could explain it.

Soulwax could also go down well as a Marquee headliner, I'd say. Although pairing them with LCD Soundsystem would make most sense.