NFR NFC 2016 - The Friendly Thread for Lovely People

jeffie

Today I was called into a meeting to be told that I am being made redundant. After previous issues with another job and being ill, resulting in me losing my job. This really is the last thing I wanted to end my year off with! Especially given that I have only worked there for about 7 months so won't even get a redundancy package. 

Going into work until the 1st of December for another meeting about whether or not I want to be a van driver instead of working in marketing (I don't really see how that is remotely related to my skill set!) I need a back-up plan and quick! Do companies even hire before Christmas?!

Nevermind. Life could be worse. 

• Replies 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lucyginger

• mr gumby

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Today I was called into a meeting to be told that I am being made redundant. After previous issues with another job and being ill, resulting in me losing my job. This really is the last thing I wanted to end my year off with! Especially given that I have only worked there for about 7 months so won't even get a redundancy package. 

Going into work until the 1st of December for another meeting about whether or not I want to be a van driver instead of working in marketing (I don't really see how that is remotely related to my skill set!) I need a back-up plan and quick! Do companies even hire before Christmas?!

Hello sheffieldlady,

Is your ex- position in marketing being lost altogether ie. is this part of an overall cut back within the Marketing Department? Have you studied your companies policies and procedures on redundancy, staff re-structuring (if applicable), re-deployment, appeals procedures etc etc. I would suggest that you scrutinise these to see if they have slipped up at all.

I once wrote an email to the head of HR indicating that her decision was specifically negated by her duties laid down in the policies and procedures manual for HR ie I told her that she didn't know her own job. She was livid to say the least but had to acquiesce. There's another occassion to when I stopped the company moving me to cover another part of the West Midlands that I didn't want to cover. Just trying to say there's two examples of how it can be changed. Maybe you could reverse the decision too with a bit of homework. Just a thought.

10 hours ago, rubenz said:

I got to work and the heating was broken, sat in the office with me coat on as was freezing. Googled what  the rules on freezing offices were and apparently there were no legal guide lines so couldn't bugger off home. Luckily some portable heaters were sourced otherwise I would have had to set fire to a couple of desks just to survive the afternoon

Yeah ive been in that position before where we needed to look up min office temperatures and found the same thing

Hope the heatings fixed soon

7 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

Hope you get sorted with a new job soon

Its not a great position to be in at anytime of the year

33 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Gumby jr is nearly 3, but I'm still a sleep deprived, emotional wreck!

Toddler two hats was born 13/3/2013, when was yours?

She is being VERY trying this morning, from putting her toys into a full potty to attempting to wipe her own bum to complete refusal to leave the room while I'm having a dump.

It's only 8:45!

11 hours ago, rubenz said:

I got to work and the heating was broken, sat in the office with me coat on as was freezing. Googled what  the rules on freezing offices were and apparently there were no legal guide lines so couldn't bugger off home. Luckily some portable heaters were sourced otherwise I would have had to set fire to a couple of desks just to survive the afternoon

This might have been of use.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/law.htm

8 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

Bugger. Not good.

Royal Mail wil be hiring and they tend tpo keep the best staff they take as seasonal temps.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Toddler two hats was born 13/3/2013, when was yours?

She is being VERY trying this morning, from putting her toys into a full potty to attempting to wipe her own bum to complete refusal to leave the room while I'm having a dump.

It's only 8:45!

Gumby jr is a little older, he was born on 20/12/2012. He's generally a good, happy boy, but he also has odd days where he challenges everything I say, very tiring!

I never got into the habit of letting him come with me to the loo, so he doesn't try anymore. Mrs gumby, on the other hand, has a battle every time she goes, to get any privacy. 

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello sheffieldlady,

Is your ex- position in marketing being lost altogether ie. is this part of an overall cut back within the Marketing Department? Have you studied your companies policies and procedures on redundancy, staff re-structuring (if applicable), re-deployment, appeals procedures etc etc. I would suggest that you scrutinise these to see if they have slipped up at all.

I once wrote an email to the head of HR indicating that her decision was specifically negated by her duties laid down in the policies and procedures manual for HR ie I told her that she didn't know her own job. She was livid to say the least but had to acquiesce. There's another occassion to when I stopped the company moving me to cover another part of the West Midlands that I didn't want to cover. Just trying to say there's two examples of how it can be changed. Maybe you could reverse the decision too with a bit of homework. Just a thought.

Thanks Yog! 

I spent most of last night reading my contract, in fairness to them, they have followed policies and procedures to the letter. The company isn't making enough money to keep the Marketing department, with that department being just me - then I think it would just be me going. Though, I am struggling to understand how saving £20,000 a year will be enough to make the company profitable. Knowing how much they make on a daily basis and how much they need to make, by salary alone isn't going to cut that. I get that it isn't personal, but it feels like it when things like this happen. 

I always knew this job was a risky one, small company with lots of stock, transport etc was always going to be on the edge of getting rid of people, I also knew that my job would be the first one to go if they had to do anything like that.  

It's hard being motivated to sit in your office and work knowing that you have been discussed as 'disposable' to the company. I feel like not bothering today or for the rest of the week, though, I know that doesn't paint me in the best light so will likely just get on with it without any major hiccups.

Maybe I could be a store elf or something for the Christmas period?

But thank you for your help.

I have been meaning to ask, how did your narrowboat plans turn out?

You may remember I wrote a very blunt letter to my MP (who happens to be the Chief Whip) about the childish behaviour during PMQ's.

I also asked him why he personally found it dso funny - he was caught on camera giggling away.

Well he has replied.

The later part about being caught on camera was ignored.

The rest was replied to in one short sentence that avoided the issue and pretty much said that it was not the responsibility of individual MP's but that of the speaker to control their behaviour......... so pretty much like the teacher controls 4 year olds in nursery!

and these idiots will soon be voting on dropping bombs in yet another overseas country.

CABBAGES!

Morning everyone, sorry to hear your news Sheff not a good thing to happen, you should be able to find some seasonal work in shops etc, but I appreciate that may not be what you need long term, but it may get you through Christmas. Good luck on the job hunt x

i feel your pain Mr g and s2h and am glad my two are now out of the toddler phase - they are still annoying though and I still rarely get to go to the loo in peace! Gumby - they don't stop challenging everything as they get older - it gets worse!

have a good day everyone xx

SL sorry to hear about your job, try the big shops for xmas work perhaps? Some of them will keep some temp staff on after too. Hope you are ok xx

Well its grey and chilly here today, but lets have it now in the winter!! We must start making sacrifices in order to have a dry Glastonbury!!!! 

4 hours ago, mattyc1965 said:

You may remember I wrote a very blunt letter to my MP (who happens to be the Chief Whip) about the childish behaviour during PMQ's.

I also asked him why he personally found it dso funny - he was caught on camera giggling away.

Well he has replied.

The later part about being caught on camera was ignored.

The rest was replied to in one short sentence that avoided the issue and pretty much said that it was not the responsibility of individual MP's but that of the speaker to control their behaviour......... so pretty much like the teacher controls 4 year olds in nursery!

and these idiots will soon be voting on dropping bombs in yet another overseas country.

CABBAGES!

You do remember that "CABBAGES" was supposed to be said to prevent  a political rant, not just afterwards :P

Not that I disagree.

5 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

I have been meaning to ask, how did your narrowboat plans turn out?

I think I came to my senses and realised that I had to go back to work rather than sell my house and carry on playing. Fortunately I have recently got a good job which I currently like. It was fun though having all that time away from work. However it became un funny when the redundancy money ran out. So, I'm back in the rat race but don't feel as if I am - yet.

I hope you find another job that you like soon.:)

Evening folks

Still feeling yucky, had a poor day at work because our esteemed leader has decided to shout at people at the top of the chain who deal with the stuff where im the bottom of the chain so thats cascaded down and now ive loads of shit to do really quickly for the rest of this week that i cant be arsed with

But at least ive checked efests tonight and we have the first confirmation for glasto.....thats nice

Have a good evening folks

Im going to sleep when i get home

41 minutes ago, thurlow84 said:

Evening folks

Still feeling yucky, had a poor day at work because our esteemed leader has decided to shout at people at the top of the chain who deal with the stuff where im the bottom of the chain so thats cascaded down and now ive loads of shit to do really quickly for the rest of this week that i cant be arsed with

But at least ive checked efests tonight and we have the first confirmation for glasto.....thats nice

Have a good evening folks

Im going to sleep when i get home

Get well soon sir