Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I guess much of it would be related to this sort of stuff from his wiki page: "Henderson has represented England at four different levels". " He captained the England U21 team", and " Henderson was named the England U21 Player of the Year "

You could swap Henderson's name for Noble's and that paragraph would be still be accurate, yet one is nailed on for the England squad and the other had no chance. 

I wouldn't pick Noble for the England squad, but I sure as hell wouldn't have picked Henderson either. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

wow, I never saw that coming. :lol:

You only ever get on one when you want to believe that your beloved west ham have been slighted.

I'd have thought you'd have bigger worries at the mo with the club slighting loyal you. :P

Oh look, Neil can't read again!

22 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Oh look, Neil can't read again!

No, I read that you've got a downer on someone/something because you feel your beloved west ham has been slighted.

Again. :lol:

It's always bleedin' obvious where you're going as soon as you start one of these. It's every single time.

Another who think that's a very good signing. Latest reports are that he might miss a couple of games but be back in early September.

Be interesting if they still go for Laporte from Bilbao too. Two potential players signed for the first XI that won't be able to have full pre-seasons. 

2 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Another who think that's a very good signing. Latest reports are that he might miss a couple of games but be back in early September.

Be interesting if they still go for Laporte from Bilbao too. Two potential players signed for the first XI that won't be able to have full pre-seasons. 

I think he is probably worth the risk for a club with money to burn. While fitness will be an issue, it will be compensated to some extent by players being knackered following euros and copa America.

The problem City are going to have is that the spine of their team next season is going to be very fragile and injury prone (Kompany, Gundogan, Aguero). 

Now whilst on paper that is incredibly strong, I just can't see them playing many games together given their track records. 

Thoughts about RDM for Villa manager? In my view he is the perfect example to show why the argument that a managers ability completely dictates whether a team succeeds or fails.  He may be a champions league winning manager, but I have always felt he is clueless from a tactical perspective.   Maybe those flaws will be hidden if Villa spend enough money, but I think there are better people they could have chosen.

RDM won the CL with the most defensive run of football since the the 2002-3 (?) season which ended with Milan-Juve.

Regarding Gundogan, I don't think he's got much of an injury history has he? Just the current one. Gundogan/De Bruyne/Silva as an attacking midfield trio behind Aguero seems like it could be brilliant football.

Kompany's fitness is a problem though. No argument.

19 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Thoughts about RDM for Villa manager? In my view he is the perfect example to show why the argument that a managers ability completely dictates whether a team succeeds or fails.  He may be a champions league winning manager, but I have always felt he is clueless from a tactical perspective.   Maybe those flaws will be hidden if Villa spend enough money, but I think there are better people they could have chosen.

For me, im happy, lets not forget he got West Brom promoted from the Championship to the Prem in his first year there. 

He also came into Chelsea and not only won the champions league but also the FA Cup that year.

At Schalke he was successful and is actually the last manager to beat Real Madrid in the Champions League when Real are at home, they've gone 23 games since then without losing. 

Now you add Steve Clarke to the mix and it makes it even better IMO, plus the news that RDM asked Clarke to be his assistant not hes having him thrown upon him, im guessing there will be harmony. And they will work well together. What they should both bring to the table is to make us a solid unit, hard to break down, and when you have that, thats exactly what we need to build upon, we had -49 goal difference in the prem this year, we couldn't defend for toffee. 

That needed addressing first and these two in the door will sort it.

Gary Monk at Leeds, Owen Coyle at Blackburn, Nigel Pearson at Derby, i'd say we've got the best out the lot of those options, with RDM AND SC, Steve will be the one getting in there on the training ground which is so important RDM got someone in, respected and experienced to do that. 

I will say however, I still see Newcastle winning the league. Rafa staying was so important and he already knows that team and what will be needed, can't see anyone finishing above them, unless they get insane amount of injuries. 

15 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

For me, im happy, lets not forget he got West Brom promoted from the Championship to the Prem in his first year there. 

He also came into Chelsea and not only won the champions league but also the FA Cup that year.

Did Chelsea win the champions league with him as manager, or did he win Chelsea the champions league? Its normally a combination of both, however I'm more inclined to go more for the former than the latter. It was also a very fortunate champions league run. If he can bring that fortune over to Villa then you may be ok.  I think people sometimes read too much into the importance of the manager. I think several very average managers have won the champions league. Raymond Domenech nearly won the world cup!

I think Villa is a much tougher job then the other 3 as club needs to be turned around far more. I'm not judging purely on stats, but as much as watching him managing games and tactics. Of course the main factor in determining Villas (or any other clubs success) is money spent as opposed to managerial ability.

Now you add Steve Clarke to the mix and it makes it even better IMO, plus the news that RDM asked Clarke to be his assistant not hes having him thrown upon him, im guessing there will be harmony. And they will work well together. What they should both bring to the table is to make us a solid unit, hard to break down, and when you have that, thats exactly what we need to build upon, we had -49 goal difference in the prem this year, we couldn't defend for toffee. 

Is Clarke really that good? He seems to be one of these people like Michael Appleton or Aidy Boothroyd that gets jobs on reputation as much as achievement

Gary Monk at Leeds, Owen Coyle at Blackburn, Nigel Pearson at Derby, i'd say we've got the best out the lot of those options, with RDM AND SC, Steve will be the one getting in there on the training ground which is so important RDM got someone in, respected and experienced to do that.  

I suspect all could get Villa up if given the right budget. To be honest you would probably be better off employing Steve Bruce and sacking him the day after the inevitable promotion!

8 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Regarding Gundogan, I don't think he's got much of an injury history has he? Just the current one. 

He missed the whole 2013/2014 season with a back injury. Then came back looking like this, and it took him most of the following season to regain full fitness  

image.jpeg

He's a great player when fully fit though. A player that should really excel in the Premier League. A couple of similar signings in key positions for City, and they're going to be pretty unstoppable. 

Edited by st dan

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Thoughts about RDM for Villa manager?

I mentioned to my footie-ignoring missus last night that "Villa now have a Chumps League winning manager". She asked who, and I said RDM.

She turned round and said "he used to manage the baggies didn't he?"

She's still dead chuffed this morning at her deep footie knowledge. :lol:

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I mentioned to my footie-ignoring missus last night that "Villa now have a Chumps League winning manager". She asked who, and I said RDM.

She turned round and said "he used to manage the baggies didn't he?"

She's still dead chuffed this morning at her deep footie knowledge. :lol:

A bit more than you then.....