That feeling ............

SteveTLizard

And the putting on of the wristband by some worker who is just as excited as you, despite them working in the cold morning at 8am.

It's true - had a great time when i did it. If i could just pay for my ticket, do the training, be allowed normal camping from the day before and do that shift only i'd do it in a heartbeat!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's the transformative process of leaving the world behind and experiencing everything you've spent months beforehand imagining and planning for, becoming reality.

It's peering out of the window for the hundredth time and seeing the taxi turn up when it's still dark and a bit cold outside, engine running and headlights on; knowing that it's there to transport you to another world. It's the conversation with the driver as he zooms down deserted roads that make me thank myself for booking it this early, and his local knowledge about the impact of the festival on the roads.

It's the arrival at the drop-off point, at that time in the morning eerily quiet, save for a dozen or so other ticket holders, from all walks of life and nationalities, who've congregated at that spot at that time because together, they're my family for the next five days of magic and wonder. It's seeing my first steward and realising I've never been so pleased to see a high-vis jacket. It's the climbing on board the bus, clumsily dragging my baggage with me as I participate in something that will only ever happen to me once a year if I'm lucky. It's the goosebumps as that bus pulls away and the final journey has begun with an excitement in the air like electricity.

It's the numerous stewards lining the route, blocking off roads and ensuring safety and the realisation of the scale of what I'm about to experience. And of course, it's the views into the valleys of Mendip and the childlike Christmas Day reaction from some, but also the silent and equally profound smiles and knowing that come over the face of those who have joined me on this pilgrimage.

There are so many moments I could list where 'that feeling' manifests, but that entire process of escape from the world and to a place that has been so carefully and painstakingly created to capture what will be - for so many - a genuine highlight of their lives, and the soul that goes into doing that from everyone involved... experiencing that slowly transform from theory and forum posts to a living, breathing reality is part of what gets me the most. This year my journey begins 10,000 miles away and although I'm sure a 20 hour flight won't consistently bring that feeling, the process will begin earlier for me this year and I will savour every second.

100% this .... had me grinning from 1st word to last, good work sir.

this thread has made me smile...

Im taking my 16 year old daughter for the first time this year...she has grown up listening to all our stories from Glastonbury, I cant wait for her to experience all of these firsts. She joins the Army soon so it may be the only chance we get to do it with her for years....am going to soak it all in and enjoy.

We're driving for the first time this year, and im excited to sit with a playlist on having a beer on the way down. Whenever i've got the coach from Leeds everyones gone to sleep for the entire journey!? My "weekend" starts when i wake up at __AM on Wednesday

I've always loved dusk at Glastonbury. After going back to the tent and getting changed/restocked for the night ahead. When all of the rope lights that connect the camp sites up suddenly illuminate. There's a sense of anticipation in the cool, damp air as you walk down those bobbly pathways, everyone going in their own directions with a purpose. The smell of the odd campfire now and again, or maybe a couple barbecues being fired up/extinguished. The soundclashes across the site, spontaneous crowd roars here and there, maybe the odd MC giving it some from one of the dance stages

For me it's the transformative process of leaving the world behind and experiencing everything you've spent months beforehand imagining and planning for, becoming reality.

It's peering out of the window for the hundredth time and seeing the taxi turn up when it's still dark and a bit cold outside, engine running and headlights on; knowing that it's there to transport you to another world. It's the conversation with the driver as he zooms down deserted roads that make me thank myself for booking it this early, and his local knowledge about the impact of the festival on the roads.

It's the arrival at the drop-off point, at that time in the morning eerily quiet, save for a dozen or so other ticket holders, from all walks of life and nationalities, who've congregated at that spot at that time because together, they're my family for the next five days of magic and wonder. It's seeing my first steward and realising I've never been so pleased to see a high-vis jacket. It's the climbing on board the bus, clumsily dragging my baggage with me as I participate in something that will only ever happen to me once a year if I'm lucky. It's the goosebumps as that bus pulls away and the final journey has begun with an excitement in the air like electricity.

It's the numerous stewards lining the route, blocking off roads and ensuring safety and the realisation of the scale of what I'm about to experience. And of course, it's the views into the valleys of Mendip and the childlike Christmas Day reaction from some, but also the silent and equally profound smiles and knowing that come over the face of those who have joined me on this pilgrimage.

There are so many moments I could list where 'that feeling' manifests, but that entire process of escape from the world and to a place that has been so carefully and painstakingly created to capture what will be - for so many - a genuine highlight of their lives, and the soul that goes into doing that from everyone involved... experiencing that slowly transform from theory and forum posts to a living, breathing reality is part of what gets me the most. This year my journey begins 10,000 miles away and although I'm sure a 20 hour flight won't consistently bring that feeling, the process will begin earlier for me this year and I will savour every second.

You just made me cry !!!!!! Now sat here sniffing like a right sap head ,,... This post is that feeling !

Can't wait to see all of it...Glastovirgin at 59 and I can't stop raving about it!! (colleagues at work getting a bit fed up now with my daily update !!)

Hope it lives up to expectations!!!! (ok ok you're all gonna say it will and more I'm sure!!)

See you there! I'll be the one (of thousands) with the big grin !

Another Glasto first timer here.. Been wanting to go for years and it's always eluded me. This thread has given me goosebumps!!

You are both so lucky , welcome, there is no other feeling like it in the world. You may have done festivals before but there is something about wonderland that grabs people's hearts and changes them forever . If the 'real world ' could be like Glastonbury it would be an awesome place .

You are both so lucky , welcome, there is no other feeling like it in the world. You may have done festivals before but there is something about wonderland that grabs people's hearts and changes them forever . If the 'real world ' could be like Glastonbury it would be an awesome place .

Second that, you don't quite realise what a different world awaits you inside until you experience it. As you say, it changes you forever.

Everyone's there for the same reason and that's to have an amazing time, and more or less everyone wants that for every other person too, which makes it a bit special in my opinion.

Sitting on a recently cleaned compost toilet on Thursday morning around 8am is pretty satisfying when you've been terrified of festival toilets in the build up and you realise if you play your cards right they're absolutely fine as long as you avoid ever needing a number 2 in a long drop.

I don't arrive until late due to my coach time leaving (can this be changed?) so that feeling will soon become that drunk feeling pretty quickly. I cannot wait.

If it's the coach ticket packages then no unfortunately.

we have the same issue coming back. our coach is 6:30am so it's going to be a stay up job i reckon

The very first feeling in the first year was driving to the car park at around 10pm on Tuesday night on my first year, turning a corner in the road and suddenly seeing the site in the distance, taking in the unreal amount of lights, sounds and smells all at once. I didn't know what 'that feeling...' would be like, so I always remember the first one most fondly, and seeing the site for the first time every year is therefore still the most special part.

Park Hill on Wednesday nights is also beautiful.

70 days.

All the first arriving, tent up feelings are great but personally it's Friday afternoon being in the first big gig you've been waiting for and the feeling after its finished like "it's f*cking on!!"

The main reason I enjoy the first arriving feeling is a massive feeling of relief from the months of loss sleep with excitement & constant glastobating

Edited by bennyboi

there is no other feeling like it in the world. You may have done festivals before but there is something about wonderland that grabs people's hearts and changes them forever . If the 'real world ' could be like Glastonbury it would be an awesome place .

Ditto Funkyfairy xxxx

Was my first time at Glasto last year.

Twice I had that feeling.

First was going through the country lanes on the coach around 6 in the morning not knowing what to expect and everyone else onboard was asleep. It was like my own little mystical journey to this mystical place.

Secondly, it was carrying an air bed on my head back to the tent on Wednesday afternoon. Just to see everyones happy faces, people opening their first can of cider, exploring or pitching up their tents in the sun whilst I walk on by.... MAGICAL!

Edited by RyGSY