Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Went to the Bugged Out! day at Document (Motions new venue in Bristol) on Saturday. I thought the sound was really good, visuals not so good. You could only see half of the screens. It took a while to fill up as it’s quite a big venue & it was nowhere near sold out from my understanding. 2ManyDJs were great. DJ Seinfeld put out a really good set considering I’ve seen him a few times before and found him quite underwhelming.

As a whole not a bad venue but not incredible either. 

It was my first rave since my 6 month old was born. Just about recovered. 

1 hour ago, rwoo said:

Went to the Bugged Out! day at Document (Motions new venue in Bristol) on Saturday. I thought the sound was really good, visuals not so good. You could only see half of the screens. It took a while to fill up as it’s quite a big venue & it was nowhere near sold out from my understanding. 2ManyDJs were great. DJ Seinfeld put out a really good set considering I’ve seen him a few times before and found him quite underwhelming.

As a whole not a bad venue but not incredible either. 

It was my first rave since my 6 month old was born. Just about recovered. 

out of reacts but always great to see a review 🙂 esp for a new venue

4 minutes ago, Isaaclk said:

Odds on skrillex turning up this year? Massive arcadia set at headliner time 🔥🔥

A decent chance, seeing as he's playing Roskilde the Thursday after. He seems to love the festival too. I particularly like these vids from 2013 and 2014. Enjoyed the b2b with Chase & Status and caught the Dogblood and Blues secret sets. Hardly anyone there at the beginning of that one 

4 hours ago, AndyL16 said:

I can't even put into words what this would mean if he played Glastonbury for me personally.... my favourite music artist at my favourite festival...... can't begin to even imagine how good that would be 

Ahhh I saw him in the Dance Village in an evening in 2009...not sure he'd be in that spot now and I would lovvvvvve to see it with real visuals! 

3 hours ago, robahht said:

Beyond excited for Genosys, 2022 was my first festival so never got to witness it. I do like the bus though, hopefully they find space for both.

As @turkey twizzler says, the bus will be a distant memory! The Big Green Monster™️ is one of my favourite ever places to dance. The vibe of the space and the sound at the bus were always very mediocre for me, whereas I've seen some of my all-time best sets at Genosys. I'm looking at you, HAAi...

Can't wait to hear what you think of it and share the dancefloor with you. 

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

6 hours ago, AndyL16 said:

I can't even put into words what this would mean if he played Glastonbury for me personally.... my favourite music artist at my favourite festival...... can't begin to even imagine how good that would be 

For sheer feel-good, big room, everyone smiling techno, Signor Sangiuliano is a lot of fun. So it would be great to see him on the Farm too. 

Ben

7 hours ago, AndyL16 said:

For the ninth consecutive year, my campaign for the return of Prydz begins in earnest

On 2/21/2024 at 10:05 PM, Isaaclk said:

Odds on skrillex turning up this year? Massive arcadia set at headliner time 🔥🔥

I hope he’s on the main lineup. Headlining the other would be insane! Nobody’s having more fun than when you see skrillex 

27 minutes ago, Ncahir94 said:

I hope he’s on the main lineup. Headlining the other would be insane! Nobody’s having more fun than when you see skrillex 

Except me when I'm doing literally anything other than seeing Skrillex

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

Except me when I'm doing literally anything other than seeing Skrillex

Saw him at WHP in autumn. Didn't go into it expecting much but it was so much fun. Sometimes just laughing at how ridiculous dubstep is was half the fun of it. Then Four Tet and Fred Again came out and stole the show haha.

• Like 1

Caught Chase & Status' live show in Cardiff last night. Been following them since 2009 and No More Idols. They've always quite nicely traversed the line between pop and the roots of jungle/drum & bass (sometimes really good, other times not so), but last night was a really interesting show. Immediately upon arrival, I was amazed by how young the crowd was. As opposed to the likes of the Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Orbital, Underworld, etc, they've obviously managed to stay relevant to a predominantly younger audience, probably because of the crossover with grime and pop...not to mention a recent resurgence thanks to that fecking Baddadan tune. There's a part of me that wants to get snobby and complain about how commercial it's become but then when I thought about it, it can only be a good thing. Last night there were large groups of teens having the best time. I spoke with a woman who'd brought her 13/14 year olds to their first ever gig (in fairness they spent the entire gig filming it on their phone, but they'll learn) and I realised that making electronic music accessible to the kids is so important. My first exposure to it came in 1993, 7 days after my 16th birthday, pretending to be 18, getting into a club to see Easygroove, Ellis Dee, Donovan "Bad Boy" Smith and MC Ribbz. That's all there was. Getting turned away initially, walking to the back of the queue and successfully trying again in twenty minutes with the same bouncer.

So, after a some initial weirdness, feeling a touch out of place at a gig for the first time since NASS in 2019, I remembered this was me 31 years ago. This is my tribe, just 31 years later. But I think that's it for me for certain "electronic" shows now though. At least I hand over the baton to a generation of enthusiastic ravers all as wide-eyed (ok, maybe not exactly that wide-eyed) and excited to feel part of something. 

Back to the show itself, they've upped the production value and the stage setup was impressive. Sound on-point. Big tunes, all the hits. I'm not sure if they're set for Glastonbury this year, difficult to know what stage to place the live show on these days. In fairness, they could do a lot worse than put them in a similar slot to Pendulum in 2011. Come on, you know you want to hear it on the Pyramid..."baddadan, baddadan, baddadan..."

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Caught Chase & Status' live show in Cardiff last night. Been following them since 2009 and No More Idols. They've always quite nicely traversed the line between pop and the roots of jungle/drum & bass (sometimes really good, other times not so), but last night was a really interesting show. Immediately upon arrival, I was amazed by how young the crowd was. As opposed to the likes of the Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Orbital, Underworld, etc, they've obviously managed to stay relevant to a predominantly younger audience, probably because of the crossover with grime and pop...not to mention a recent resurgence thanks to that fecking Baddadan tune. There's a part of me that wants to get snobby and complain about how commercial it's become but then when I thought about it, it can only be a good thing. Last night there were large groups of teens having the best time. I spoke with a woman who'd brought her 13/14 year olds to their first ever gig (in fairness they spent the entire gig filming it on their phone, but they'll learn) and I realised that making electronic music accessible to the kids is so important. My first exposure to it came in 1993, 7 days after my 16th birthday, pretending to be 18, getting into a club to see Easygroove, Ellis Dee, Donovan "Bad Boy" Smith and MC Ribbz. That's all there was. Getting turned away initially, walking to the back of the queue and successfully trying again in twenty minutes with the same bouncer.

So, after a some initial weirdness, feeling a touch out of place at a gig for the first time since NASS in 2019, I remembered this was me 31 years ago. This is my tribe, just 31 years later. But I think that's it for me for certain "electronic" shows now though. At least I hand over the baton to a generation of enthusiastic ravers all as wide-eyed (ok, maybe not exactly that wide-eyed) and excited to feel part of something. 

Back to the show itself, they've upped the production value and the stage setup was impressive. Sound on-point. Big tunes, all the hits. I'm not sure if they're set for Glastonbury this year, difficult to know what stage to place the live show on these days. In fairness, they could do a lot worse than put them in a similar slot to Pendulum in 2011. Come on, you know you want to hear it on the Pyramid..."baddadan, baddadan, baddadan..."

A very nice little report, good job 👍

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 4:32 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Team,

I have just been made aware of some pretty solid intel indicating that in 2024...

GENOSYS

IS

BACK

🙌🏼

Oh my days...

Ben

Im guessing theyve managed to salvage what was left of it, maybe even altering it into something of equal stature would be welcomed.

I definitely enjoyed the bus as id say i saw some of the best sets of my Glasto 23 there namely leeon, Ouissam and Partok, that being said unless you are front and center i agree the sound just isnt good enough and is not even comparable to the real OG Genosys

Bring on the return of the Genosys!!! 

• Like 1