Muse

eldest300

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thinking about it there really aren't any GREAT songs on The Resistance. all of the other albums have their downs but then some pretty great ups, but The Resistance never really reaches any particularly breathtaking heights. Unnatural Selection and MK Ultra are both decent enough but pretty bog standard Muse songs

i still hate Survival. that and United States Of Eurasia are the two prime examples of where Muse have gone horribly wrong (and i think it's association with the Olympics and hackneyed lyrics to make that association brings it even further down)

I still remember when Survival came out. I was at an Editors gig and got a text from my mate saying "It starts off sounding like Glee and then Matt starts singing about life being a race which he's going to win", and I feared the worst. I then listened when I got back to the hotel and my fears were confirmed.

Follow Me is better live, I think its you can tell it means something to Matt. I like Unsustainable/Isolated System, I'd think they would work well on a stronger overall album.

Survival I'd agree it, I love most of the tune...but the lyrics are really really shit.

Resistance, I really like Unantual Selection/MK Ultra and as said I'm a fan of Undisclosed Desires...but yeah I can see the reasoning, there isn't a great/stand out song to carry to it along.

And actually I think the same is true of the 2nd law, also had a listen yesterday ..and I found it a bit dull listening to it one go in all honesty ...which suprised me as I quite liked it when it first came out.

Edited by LondonTom

And actually I think the same is true of the 2nd law, also had a listen yesterday ..and I found it a bit dull listening to it one go in all honesty ...which suprised me as I quite liked it when it first came out.

see i actually fucking love Madness. the more i listen to it the more i appreciate how great it is. not a popular opinion i know but i rank it as one of Muse' best

Supremacy and Panic Station are both pretty good too without being fantastic. the album starts off well and then crumbles as soon as Survival comes in

For me, The Resistance is all about Exogenesis these days. Could happily listen to a full album's worth - a Matt solo album perhaps.

i remember in the leadup to The Resistance, Matt was talking up this epic space opera thing that closed the album. i had visions of some epic, eleven minute long Knights Of Cydonia kind of thing but even more ridiculous (in a good way), and then what we got just didn't live up to my expectation, so i've always felt a little meh about it

I rate Madness highly.The refrain where he sings "I need to love" towards the end and it opens up is life affirming.Epic moment at a gig.

Shoot me :P

:lol: That moment, and the part in Explorers where he sings "Runnind around in circles feeling caged by ENDLESS ruuules" are indeed life-affirming. Best two moments of the album.

P.S anyone else noticed that bit of vocal melody in explorers that COMPLETELY rips off Don't stop me now by Queen.

And did anyone notice Big Freeze is a U2 song?

Me and a the group around us at the Manchester gig broke into Don't Stop Me Now at that part of explorers. Terrible terrible song, it's up there for me with Guiding Shite

Nahh I know it's shit but it's good shit rather than shit shit, if you know what I mean.

I think thats what most of us have said, its not far from being a great song but ...

"Whatever it takes You won't pull ahead I'll keep up the pace And I'll reveal my strength To the whole human race"

I quite liked 2nd law which is much more favourable than i felt about resistance but still not a patch on their early stuff. A heavier album and live show which was more focused on the music than the show and i'd watch them again.

Supremacy is a born Bond Soundtrack. Don't forget to quote me when it's used as one. Such a quality opening track to The 2nd Law.

Personally the artist tag for the whole album should be Muse featuring 100 other musicians.

Although I do like the ambitious nature of the album I do feel that the need a more cut down guitar bass drums vocals album to bring Muse's pathway a bit more down to earth for a while.

Supremacy is a born Bond Soundtrack. Don't forget to quote me when it's used as one. Such a quality opening track to The 2nd Law.

pretty sure they wrote it with Bond in mind / as their audition song for Skyfall. remember they were everybody's front runner for the theme song until Adele was finally chosen

Pretty sure they were asked to write for Skyfall and composed Supremacy and then late in the day Adele said she would do it so Muse got dumped.

Been listening to Ruled By Secracy recently after all the hate on here and I like it.Loved that,Endlessly and Blackout from that album.

Been listening to Ruled By Secracy recently after all the hate on here and I like it.Loved that,Endlessly and Blackout from that album.

those were the three that never really interested me from that album (along with Intro and Interlude of course) :P

not bad songs but i'd never put them on individually - only when listening to the album as a whole

Just found this list I did the other year... I didn't realise I hated some Showbiz songs so much

butterflies and hurricanes
citizen erased
showbiz
bliss
map of the problematique
stockholm syndrome
mk ultra
muscle museum
dead star
new born
hyper music
the small print
micro cuts
city of delusion
knights of cydonia
sunburn
hysteria
assassin
sing for absolution
plug in baby
take a bow
thoughts of a dying athiest
resistance
in your world
the 2nd law: isolated system
cave
sober
survival
united states of eurasia
exo-politics
apocalypse please
falling away with you
unnatural selection
exogenesis symphony part 2
ruled by secrecy
space dementia
Panic Station
feeling good
fillip
Animals
megalomania
supremacy
liquid state
blackout
madness
exogenesis symphony part 1
invincible
undisclosed desires
unintended
darkshines
uprising
screenager
supermassive black hole
neutron star collision
starlight
big freeze
exogenesis symphony part 3
the 2nd law: unsustainable
Follow Me
endlessly
overdue
save me
i belong to you
uno
hoodoo
falling down
guiding light
escape
hate this and ill love you
soldier's poem
explorers
interlude
intro
edit: I was wondering where I put Time is Running Out bit it seems to be missing so some other songs may be to... just pretend it's above T2L: Part 2 but below In Your World
Edited by jonodillieono