I wish they could encourage people to clean up after themselves by making your registration for life, and there was some kind of points system where if you leave the gates at the end with a tent your ticket is scanned and you are marked as a good glastonbury attendee! Then ideally those with more points get a better chance of attending again..I know it doesn't work in terms of those that have never been have no points etc but it would highlight those that leave no trace..

I hope they didn't plough the west holts field. I planted ganja seeds all over it in 2011 :D

You've just reminded me that, without any forethought, I bought some khat seeds (catha edulis). I still need to look into whether I will be able to grow plants from the seeds without some sort of hydroponics set up. It would have been far easier for me to have just gone to Sparkbrook and bought some leaves directly. However, I was put off doing so as my last job involved working with some of the community there and I didn't want word to get out. Anybody know if they have actually made the stuff illegal now? I know they were talking of it.

You've just reminded me that, without any forethought, I bought some khat seeds (catha edulis). I still need to look into whether I will be able to grow plants from the seeds without some sort of hydroponics set up. It would have been far easier for me to have just gone to Sparkbrook and bought some leaves directly. However, I was put off doing so as my last job involved working with some of the community there and I didn't want word to get out. Anybody know if they have actually made the stuff illegal now? I know they were talking of it.

Khat is now class C

You'd need a bloody big grow tent for those! Khat comes from a tree :)

800px-Qat_tree%2Cyemen.jpg

Apparently it can come in the form of a shrub too. That said, I think I have fucked up on this one (nothing new there). In my defence I did mention that I hadn't done any homework on it, so effectively had shot straight from the hip. My dreams of being a gun slinger have been smashed. :)

...whether I will be able to grow plants from the seeds without some sort of hydroponics set up....

You never ever need hydroponics. It's just an alternative to soil growing that has advantages and disadvantages.

Whether it's frost tender or not is the real concern!

You never ever need hydroponics. It's just an alternative to soil growing that has advantages and disadvantages.

Whether it's frost tender or not is the real concern!

There lies the problem. I have done no reading around the subject. I must make amends. I'd love to grow a few of them trees in the photos in my garden. It would be just ace to occasionally eat a load of the leaves off the tree every now and again, and talk incessantly like a mad man over the fence to the one nosey neighbour that I have. It would really get his mind racing as to what bastardry I was now up to.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, please share. I'm always quite taken with the idea of tatting a few bits on Monday, until I wake up on Monday and just want to get home. Would be interesting to hear what's left behind.

me 2 i had every intention of nabbing a nice big tent and a gazebo for my sister on the way out... but it was a mission to take my own down

which reminds me i have to give it a clean before its fucked

Reading the different media outlets' coverage answers a lot of it - many cannot stop banging on about how the festival has lost it's way and become a commercial husk to come ravage for a good time, others blind to it's downsides presenting it as a family friendly all fun fest. People read and believe what they want to.

sorry frosty accidentally gave you a down arrow by mistake and cannot take it back!

Do people "tatting" things on Monday not stop to think that the owners might want them and may be somewhere else at the time? You're basically stealing without any sort of consent... bad and somewhat worse than people who leave stuff behind :(

Do people "tatting" things on Monday not stop to think that the owners might want them and may be somewhere else at the time? You're basically stealing without any sort of consent... bad and somewhat worse than people who leave stuff behind :(

If you apply for the official licence to collect tents you are told not to start until 9am on the Tuesday and allocated a specific area to collect in so I would think it's assumed anything then has been left.

The problem is the unlicensed tatters who seem to start at 8am on the Monday while people are still packing up or gone to get a coffee say and I'm sure people lose stuff.

The other problem is the licensed collectors then see so much is gone by the Tues they ignore their terms and start on the monday too.

I also heard of licensed collectors having to guard their piles of tents as otherwise others take it.

My point? There is a system for licensed collections (which many probably don't know about) but it needs to be refined to work more effectively

When you interact with people as they are packing up they are more often than not only too glad to offload their surplus alcohol and foodstuffs. You get an eye for the safe tat with experience, a discarded camping kettle next to a pile of bin bags hasn't been put their for safekeeping whilst the owner is at work!

As I stated in my first post, it is theft if you take something that belongs to someone else and you quite rightly deserve to be dealt with. I've seen too many people have their festival ruined due to theft of belongings be that from pickpockets, bag snatchers or indeed security!

The alternative under the current state of affairs is that it all goes to landfill. I for one will continue to liberate as much food and beer from the jaws of the compactor for as long as i do the festival rather than it be needlessly destroyed.

I've never personally met or heard of any 'licensed' tent collectors? From the Tuesday morning, all stuff left in the fields goes into the wagon. There are tractor crews that go round collecting those camping chairs and beds for the metal but they are just another branch of the recycling crew.

I seem to remember that one year, maybe 2010, there were Rotary club folks going around dismantling tents but they weren't given a real chance as it takes too long to take a tent down and pack it away. They were getting in the way of the clean up crews and were rather brusquely moved on.

I could well be wrong, I'm not saying there aren't any licensed tent collectors, just that I've never heard of any such teams doing the rounds.

I've never personally met or heard of any 'licensed' tent collectors? From the Tuesday morning, all stuff left in the fields goes into the wagon. There are tractor crews that go round collecting those camping chairs and beds for the metal but they are just another branch of the recycling crew.

I seem to remember that one year, maybe 2010, there were Rotary club folks going around dismantling tents but they weren't given a real chance as it takes too long to take a tent down and pack it away. They were getting in the way of the clean up crews and were rather brusquely moved on.

I could well be wrong, I'm not saying there aren't any licensed tent collectors, just that I've never heard of any such teams doing the rounds.

Only heard of it for the first time myself this year when a mate contacted the festival office asking if he could collect tents for a charity he's part of.

It's licensed in so far as he had an email permission and instructions to meet someone from the clean up company (forgotten name) at a given time and was then given a set area to work in. I assume they co-ordinate the areas with where the litter pickers are maybe.

It's certainly kept quiet but I'd say that's because if people know some groups do collect tents we will be back to the "leave your tent for Oxfam/ the Scouts" fiasco from a few years back.

Hmmm posting it here probably wasn't my best idea now I think about it.

Disclaimer :)

Anyway he got about 200 tents out of the 1000s left so leaving your tent behind does NOT mean it will be recycled more likely end up in landfill

For sure, theft is theft. When your'e chatting with people packing up, they let you know who's left and who's gone, if your after tents then that's the way to do it. If your seen taking down tents by security or police then its bye bye, regardless as to whether the tent is abandoned or not nowadays.