last headliner...

Guest Flaminglippy

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much hate on Facebook ! Very amusing though !

Let's face it all the old farts have been loving kc since tickets went on pre sale ( cough) last august ! Steady flow of sales by all accounts so all you old farts are locked in now the ones that spend their cash while there at the bars and so on ! Now all the youth will jump in and I reckon with in a fortnight the festival will have sold out great strategy !

Severely disappointed with this years lineup, that's two years in a row I won't be present at KC. Breaks my heart but it seems Kendal are going down the V-fest route, a lot of bands you'd hear on Radio 1 whereas in recent years the acts have been more alternative than mainstream.

I thought some of the acts were going to reflect the Outer Space costume theme; so was anticapting main stage acts like Elbow, Flaming Lips, Spiritualized...etc.

Been one of Kendal's biggest advocates but sadly not for me this year. Might look at going to Jodrell Live again...

Now I've had time to think about it...still not happy with Example, especially on the Sunday night. But on the plus side, will mean I'll either get off me arse and check out some of the other tents, or catch Example, who I would never see unless it was at a festival and might like it.

Will probably be the first time I'll go to a festival and not give a wobbly tin shit about the headliners (with possible exception of Suede). Hoping for a few more decent evening bands like We Are Scientists etc to pad it out a bit.

Would imagine though this line-up must have cost a lot less than previous years....certainly in terms of the headliners and subbies

Edited by Flaminglippy

Now I've had time to think about it...still not happy with Example, especially on the Sunday night. But on the plus side, will mean I'll either get off me arse and check out some of the other tents, or catch Example, who I would never see unless it was at a festival and might like it.

Will probably be the first time I'll go to a festival and not give a wobbly tin shit about the headliners (with possible exception of Suede). Hoping for a few more decent evening bands like We Are Scientists etc to pad it out a bit.

Would imagine though this line-up must have cost a lot less than previous years....certainly in terms of the headliners and subbies

We never see the main stage headliners anyway, it's all about seeing new stuff for me, plus if you get in house party it's unreal, the sailor Jerry's thing was awesome on the Saturday n all, so much to do and be able to get to it within 5mins is a massive plus, still love kendal calling.

What a load of dross this year - gone downhill since 2011 in terms of headliners.

I'm sure all you hard earned cash will be twinkling in the trees and flapping in the wind for the weekend cos they certainly aint spent much of it on the headliners!

Sorry folks, but I honestly have to say that you've been let down....big style!

With hindsight, the payment scheme did its trick and made you part with your cash before any of the line-up was announced....take my hat of to them, they know how to run a business!!

Well I'm quite happy think it will be an ace After everything that's been announced anyway :-) fb comments seem very harsh, there's always loads to see if you don't like one, had an ace time last year and it wasn't my favourite line up, but it was the best ever kendal, discovered loads of bands, and that's what I like about it :-)

We caught Example at The Big Chill a couple of years ago. Kanye West was being totally weird, and we decided that Example could be worth a look. Due to some confusion on stage times, he at least appeared to be about an hour late on stage. By the time he came on, we were really pissed off. We are too old to stand around waiting for someone for that length of time without getting really tired! (tragic I know!)

Then he came on stage, looking all Liam Gallagher cocky & arrogant & I hated him on sight.

Then the music started, and the whole place started bouncing, and within moments we were bouncing too, and wearing massive grins, and we absolutely loved it!

It was so good that the next morning I literally couldn't walk, and I hurt for about 3 days afterwards. So I would say to anyone in my age group - give Example a try - you may well be surprised how much you enjoy it, but it's a good job he's on the Sunday, and that it's not as far to the car as it would be at Glastonbury!

The thing with festivals for me is that I like to have music to listen to in order to make me excited way before the actual festival. (If that makes any sense to anyone but myself...) Although I'm sure Example is a good entertainer I won't be spending my weekend eagerly anticipating his set! Each to their own I suppose.

Does anyone know if there are any more announcements to come? I'm still pretty sure The Fratellis are to be added.

Very hard for me to say this as I love Kendal but slightly underwhelmed.

Still has something on their website saying 'Special Guest Sunday Night Headliner Still To Be Announced'. Is this an oversight or is there likely to be another big name for the Sunday night do we think??

As it stands at the minute looks like Tom Odell is subbing!

Edited by comfortablynumb1910

Im pretty disappointed with the line up to be honest. There is still some fairly decent stuff in there, Suede, Happy Mondays, Miles Kane, Frightened Rabbit and 2 Many Djs. For me the other headliners are awful. Frank turner should never be anywhere near a headline slot and example ( who i don't mind as such) just doesn't seem to fit. As Ive said before there seems to be a complete lack of middle range bands like Toy, Drenge, Temples Peace and thats what disappoints me the most. I think me and my mates will probably leave it this year, I assume there is very little else to announce??

I know everybody's taste is different but I think the line up is better than last year. Apart from a bit of Basement Jaxx, Ash and the Charlatans I didn't go near the main stage until Sunday. And then one of the highlights was Beans on Toast. He was great, but main stage? Luckily I found plenty of good stuff in the Calling out tent. It was definitely busier earlier in the day than it has been before.

I was never in to Suede but they have some well known songs and were very popular so should go down well.

Not everyone's taste, but Frank has built up a strong following, has plenty of sing along songs and is a good live performer.

I've seen Example twice, not through choice, but taking my daughter when she was too young to go on her own to V. Not my cup of tea, but he does put on a good show and is popular. My daughter is made up he is there. This means I am as well. It means you can go to a festival as a family because there is something for all ages and tastes. This is what they always do at Kendal.

My biggest gripe is that I will not see all the bands I want do due to clashes as it looks like they will be headlining different stages at the same time, Jimi Goodwin, Simon & Oscar etc.

Your right about Frank. I said on the day he was announced ( I think ) that I saw him at T last year and he was good festival fayre. Had the crowd all joining in and I really enjoyed him but that was late afternoon. I think he would have been a great sub for someone at KC. He just isn`t a main stage headliner - for me anyway.

One thing I really don't get is the accusation that they haven't paid much for the headliners this year. I can almost guarantee that 2014s headliners cost more than the past two years.

Look at the size of tours example and frank turner have done recently - arenas. Basement jaxx, James (outside of manchester), charlatans, primal scream and maximo park haven't gone near an arena either for years or ever.

Just because people don't like example or frank turner doesn't make them tiny acts that command small fees, especially example. He's going to be third from top at V festival (don't care if it's a chav Fest) they pay BIG bucks. I would bet he's kendal's most expensive headliner yet

Edited by efcfanwirral

This does make sense rjam. We all know it`s not just about the headliners but having something to really look forward to has got to be part of it. I feel a bit let down to be honest but I will be over it way before August and will have a brilliant time when it comes. I think someone like the Manics on the Sunday brings the whole site together and gives everyone the much needed energy to get up for it on the Sunday night.

One thing I really don't get is the accusation that they haven't paid much for the headliners this year. I can almost guarantee that 2014s headliners cost more than the past two years.Look at the size of tours example and frank turner have done recently - arenas. Basement jaxx, James (outside of manchester), charlatans, primal scream and maximo park haven't gone near an arena either for years or ever.Just because people don't like example or frank turner doesn't make them tiny acts that command small fees, especially example. He's going to be third from top at V festival (don't care if it's a chav Fest) they pay BIG bucks. I would bet he's kendal's most expensive headliner yet

I'm with emandjay on that mick, I don't feel let down at all, regardless of the headliners there's at least 10 bands on the list I'd be happy to see and that's without factoring in the random bands I might stumble upon that I'll enjoy (or maybes in the wind ups case not !), i'm sure to meet up with a few on here for at least a pint or many on a few occasions.

I still think it's excellent value for money, every year more and more smaller festivals disappear as band fees and overheads spiral so it's a case of getting the balance right which kendal does very well. I'm paying virtually the same money at Wickerman for 2 days (3 if you tip up on Thursday but no bands on) and for that pleasure I've got del amitri as headliner one night. They'd March to the organisers house with pitchforks if they'd tried to pull that one ! But again it's one of the things we enjoy as a family so the bands aren't the most important part