Metallica 2014

JamesT977

I've finally thought it through and this is the setlist i'm hoping for along these lines maybe a few will be taken out or substituted for different orders but this is how i would like it to go down.

Ecstasy of Gold
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Master of Puppetts
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Fade To Black
Ride The Lightning
One
Sad But True
Blackened
...And Justice for All
The Unforgiven
Whiskey In the Jar
Orion
Creeping Death
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Whiplash
Trapped Under Ice
Seek & Destroy
Ending with full on thrash from the first 2 albums.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finally thought it through and this is the setlist i'm hoping for along these lines maybe a few will be taken out or substituted for different orders but this is how i would like it to go down.

Ecstasy of Gold
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Master of Puppetts
Fade To Black
Ride The Lightning
One
Sad But True
Blackened
...And Justice for All
The Unforgiven
Whiskey In the Jar
Orion
Creeping Death
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Whiplash
Trapped Under Ice
Seek & Destroy

i expect something very similar to this, although i doubt (unfortunately) we'll be getting an encore like that / those songs at all (and can't help but think that playing …And Justice For All is just asking for masses of people to leave)

Lars' interview seems to suggest he's well aware of the fact they'll need to win people over so will be very interesting to see what they play (and if they play any lesser played songs - I Disappear and the like, which were big in the UK but not played live much)

Ecstasy of Gold
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Master of Puppetts
Fade To Black
Ride The Lightning
One
Sad But True
Blackened
...And Justice for All
The Unforgiven
Whiskey In the Jar
Orion
Creeping Death
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Whiplash
Trapped Under Ice
Seek & Destroy

Would be a brilliant setlist. I think they will play one new song though.

i expect something very similar to this, although i doubt (unfortunately) we'll be getting an encore like that / those songs at all (and can't help but think that playing …And Justice For All is just asking for masses of people to leave)

Lars' interview seems to suggest he's well aware of the fact they'll need to win people over so will be very interesting to see what they play (and if they play any lesser played songs - I Disappear and the like, which were big in the UK but not played live much)

If they are going for sort of interesting/ shorter then we may see Fuel and Memory Remains in somewhere. Can't see anything from Death Magnetic being played all of the songs on that are ridiculous long and don't really portray the band well. Not that its a bad album but they aren't the ones they will go for first.

If they are going for sort of interesting/ shorter then we may see Fuel and Memory Remains in somewhere. Can't see anything from Death Magnetic being played all of the songs on that are ridiculous long and don't really portray the band well. Not that its a bad album but they aren't the ones they will go for first.

i reckon Fuel is nailed on. definitely one of their more 'accessible' live staples. not the best song but can see it going down well. would love The Memory Remains (probably my favourite from Load / ReLoad) but they rarely play it these days

…this is my favourite bit…"Imagine the Glasto hordes’ terrified faces as James Hetfield lets rip with the opening riff to Master Of Puppets! Oh, the rofls we will share!"

What, you mean terrified like this?

i reckon Fuel is nailed on. definitely one of their more 'accessible' live staples. not the best song but can see it going down well. would love The Memory Remains (probably my favourite from Load / ReLoad) but they rarely play it these days

I'd say Memory Remains has a decent chance with it having a decent amount of exposure from Wrestlemania a few years ago there, where it was in loads of adverts for it and then played on the night. The Call of Ktulu would be great but theres no chance in hell they will play that. We will be lucky if we get Orion.

Bands move on and at the end of the day it's possibly a big step forward.

How much will be televised i wonder?

i NEVER want to hear about PEARL JAM being to heavy for Glastonbury lol ..

Maybe one day Guy.

They have to play fuel, if only for the flames and pyros.

I'd say Memory Remains has a decent chance with it having a decent amount of exposure from Wrestlemania a few years ago there, where it was in loads of adverts for it and then played on the night. The Call of Ktulu would be great but theres no chance in hell they will play that. We will be lucky if we get Orion.

Setlist when I saw them at Outside Lands in San Francisco a couple of years ago…only "metal" band on the bill (Neil Young, Stevie Wonder were the headliners the other days)...

I'd say this won't be far off the mark...

Hit the Lights

Master of Puppets

Fuel

Ride the Lightning

Fade to Black

The Memory Remains

Hell and Back

Sad but True

Orion

One

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Blackened

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

Encore:

Creeping Death

Battery

Seek & Destroy

Setlist when I saw them at Outside Lands in San Francisco a couple of years ago…only "metal" band on the bill (Neil Young, Stevie Wonder were the headliners the other days)...

I'd say this won't be far off the mark...

Hit the Lights

Master of Puppets

Fuel

Ride the Lightning

Fade to Black

The Memory Remains

Hell and Back

Sad but True

Orion

One

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Blackened

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

Encore:

Creeping Death

Battery

Seek & Destroy

Hit the Lights? Jesus thats quite thrashy for a first song. Can't see them opening with that at Glastonbury.

I like how the band and Sonisphere have handled the exclusivity thing actually. Quite honest about the situation apart from when they got asked, but you know its press release it needs some bullshit in there but mostly yeah but Sonisphere is a East England exclusive or anything :P

Quite excited for it now, especially not having anything else on at the same time I'd rather go and see. :D

I wouldn't be 100% sure that Pixies aren't headlining other yet. Look at Dolly's placement. You telling me she's subbing Arcade fire on Friday - when we know she has a gig elsewhere that day.

Or maybe I'm just hoping. Cos a Jack White Pixies clash is the worst scenario of ANY possible clash for me.

i'm sure somebody mentioned in another thread that Emily / Michael / Glasto HQ / somebody said that Jake Bugg is definitely headlining, and so Pixies must be subbing

if it's any consolation (which it isn't) Pixies were ALWAYS going to be clashing with Jack White / subbing Other it seems

Edited by FloorFiller

I'm starting to think after reading the Guardian interview with Lars where he was asked about guests and they joked about Dolly Parton that they might try and get someone to come on with them. Jack White would be a pretty fair choice but if they were really going to try their best i think they would go with Lemmy and do a cover of Overkill or Damage Case.

Hit the Lights? Jesus thats quite thrashy for a first song. Can't see them opening with that at Glastonbury.

Yeah, maybe…they were opening most of their gigs with it at the time…seems to be Master of Puppets or Battery at the moment. Just as trashy though!

Sonisphere hasn't sold out though. Anyone already going to Glastonbury and might have been going to Sonisphere to see Metallica doesn't need to bother now

Like i said, its the by request part, theres gonna be less hits more stuff they havent played in years. probably suits bothfestivals.

In response to floor filler's dig at Paddypower pending bets:

You Do you know when Glastonbury saturday headliner bets will be paid out now it has been announced?

chat_agent.png

James As far as I know they'll have to wait until they've played because they could pull out.

chat_enduser_message.png

You The original bet terms said when Michael Eavis or GFL announced it though?

chat_agent.png

James Let me take a look at your account so.

chat_agent.png

James Yes it seems they should have been settled by now.

chat_agent.png

James I've sent them over to my manager to be settled as soon as possible.

i read the first bit of that and my heart sank, but then immediately perked up. nice one scruffy. hopefully the money will be transferable sometime today! (if they decide to keep it until after they've played i will be so pissed)