Glastonbury Slipping Through My Fingers...

Guest usm

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the Holts but also the nexus of stages in that vicinity, all within relatively short walking distance of one another - Avalon, G / Glade / Spirit of 71, Left Field - where you can almsot always find something worth watching

I'd add The Park in as well, but it's a bit more of a shlep to just wander up to it on a whim more than once a day

It's all about the west holts, whatever the glade area is these days, the park and Williams green stage anyways. These stages are heavily catered to people who are 'music fans' for lack of a better word where most of the acts that play are either critically acclaimed, internationally renound or have a cult following.

So I say wait for details on those stages if you're in it for the music

Edited by Yesiamaduck

It's the Holts but also the nexus of stages in that vicinity, all within relatively short walking distance of one another - Avalon, G / Glade / Spirit of 71, Left Field - where you can almsot always find something worth watching

I'd add The Park in as well, but it's a bit more of a shlep to just wander up to it on a whim more than once a day

I'll add the Acoustic tent, The Crows Nest and WIlliams Green to that as well. i loved Williams Green Stage especially last year, some top notch smaller acts there (65Daysofstatic, Ulrich Schnauss, The Beat, Drenge, Public Service Broadcasting, etc) - its rare that you would get a chance to see all of these acts at a festival, let alone on one of the smaller stages

some of the stages close by are more my favs too, but unlike West Holts they tend not to be festival-unique acts.

The other more-major Glasto stage that tend to do 'festival unique' pretty well is the Acoustic Tent. A big chunk of the line-ups of just about all other stages can be seen at a fair few other places each summer.

And best of all? They're defo not 'festival unique' because they're crap. It's the best stage for musical quality too. :)

some of the stages close by are more my favs too, but unlike West Holts they tend not to be festival-unique acts.

The other more-major Glasto stage that tend to do 'festival unique' pretty well is the Acoustic Tent. A big chunk of the line-ups of just about all other stages can be seen at a fair few other places each summer.

And best of all? They're defo not 'festival unique' because they're crap. It's the best stage for musical quality too. :)

The 9 or 10 acts confirmed so far represent the merest tippy-top of the iceberg.

There's a good chance that when the full line-up is announced you still won't have heard of two thirds of them.

If you're cool with dismissing dozens and dozens of bands that you've never heard purely because you've never heard of them then fine, but it doesn't strike me as the action of someone who's all about the music.

It's gone through some rough patches a few years ago, and I was worried when they changed the name to west Holts, but last year it was back on top form

some years people's tastes will be more in tune with a booker's to other years. I'd say that's true of any stage at any festival.

But also, where the booker's own tastes (or knowledge) lies is also important - cos I feel that I've noticed the various changes there's been with the bookers over the last 15-ish years with some being better than others ... but then again, perhaps that's how they conflict with my own tastes?

Anyway, I was certainly happy last time. :)

My excitement is dying down a bit as well. This will be my 11th Glastonbury and whilst my love for the place isn't just the music that's on offer, I'd be hard pressed to have a *really* good time if the line up ends up not to my taste. Still, I've not been let down in the past 10 times so what's to say i will be this year? My only fear is that the list of album releases this year is uninspiring so far. This time last year I'd bought at least 10 new records and had another five on pre-order - this year I've bought one (Warpaint) and can't see anything coming out soon that I'm actually excited about.

My excitement is dying down a bit as well. This will be my 11th Glastonbury and whilst my love for the place isn't just the music that's on offer, I'd be hard pressed to have a *really* good time if the line up ends up not to my taste. Still, I've not been let down in the past 10 times so what's to say i will be this year? My only fear is that the list of album releases this year is uninspiring so far. This time last year I'd bought at least 10 new records and had another five on pre-order - this year I've bought one (Warpaint) and can't see anything coming out soon that I'm actually excited about.

If you're considering giving Glasto the skip because Outkast aren't playing and you're not going to get to hear Hey Ya on the Pyramid Stage you may want to consider checking yourself into an insane asylum and rubbing your excrement all over your padded walls. And maybe on your face. In a sort of Rambo style.

There are years that the top of the bill looks poor in comparison to previous and/or other festivals.

But nothing - globally - compares with the strength in depth the festival maintains year after year.

If you feel the festival is "slipping through your fingers" then get a ticket for another fest. You won't be missed.