Anyone caught a tent robber?

Guest brandycoke

We were sat outside our tents at Phoenix Festival one year. A group of "youths" went in to a nearby tent, with two lads still in there, and robbed them. Pretty sure they had knives. Felt shit not helping at the time, but we were all a bit mashed. Not experienced anything at Glastonbury.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just say that in 30+ years to going to festivals to my knowledge I've never once had anyone open my tent while I've been inside it (I've defo never had anything nicked while i've slept), so if you're reading this thread and getting scared you shouldn't do. These stories are the exceptions and not the rule.

Then again, I'm not a small bloke and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the robbing scumbags pick their victims carefully.

Remember folks, the first rule of festivals ALWAYS applies - don't take anything that you can't afford to lose.

One of the guys in our camp has his tent slashed and money stolen out of his pocket this year, I think it was the Wednesday night. The police were really nice and visited our camp a few times afterwards to make sure everything was ok.

Another guy at our camp found a girl in his tent on the same night, I think she gave the wrong tent excuse, he tried to find his torch to see who she was but she ran off. She couldn't have ran away that quickly if she was wasted. I'm assuming she was the person who robbed the other guy, or part of a gang.

Whoever robbed him only took the English notes though, they left the Scottish ones.

Some friends of mine had a bunch of youths open their tent on the last night of Leeds festival two years ago. When confronted, their excuse was that they "were looking for stuff to burn" needless to say (it was three girls sharing a tent) that even after getting the offenders to clear off, they didnt sleep that well that night.

Edited by mortosaurus

I last went in 2008, but my son goes every year pretty much and this is the first time we've had such a loss. At Reading it is very much where you camp, I think.

Someone suggested hanging a little bell from string, attached to the zip, some time back, which was an idea I liked. I've also read of cat's cradles of string and such to deter robbers.

I took a womans rape alarm with me to a festival this year. The idea was to tie each end to the zips on my tent so that anybody opening it would get a very loud screach and then fuck off. I didn't use it in the end as I thought it was overkill. I did tie a length of small bells on a rope to the one zip though. This had the effect of ringing gently when the zip was pulled. Not the biggest deterrent in the world but one that may have made them move to a quieter tent to rob instead.

At Download one year I woke up to a guy standing over me and searching through my stuff... he seemed to see me waking up and started leaving the tent... nearly grabbed a hold of his leg but had to settle for shouting at him from my tent doorway. Unfortunately the next morning found out loads of my camp mates had been robbed. We later found a load of cheap phones dumped near our campsite. Guess he decided his plunder of iphones and money at our camp was better. However I've never been robbed at Glasto or any fest personally and I think if you are sensible you won't be. I never keep too much money on me and I put all my valuables in my pockets/at the bottom of my sleeping bag while I sleep so people have to go through me to get my stuff. Plus I never take anything too valuable anywayz... always take a cheap MP3 for the journey to a fest... use a cheap phone.. and never carry much money as said.

Edited by SOAD

Friends of mine were camping in the Dairy Field this year and were having a drink/smoke outside their tent just before going to bed at 3am on Friday. Two blokes wandered by and had the usual friendly Glasto chit-chat and asked my friend for a spare beer. She had a box by her feet, but then they requested a cider which was in her tent.

She crawled in her tent, grabbed a beer, but when she came out the guys were gone--along with her bag (which she stupidly left on her chair) and her box of beer. This could've been prevented, but....you just trust people.

She had EVERYTHING in her bag-all her money, all bank cards, and car keys.

The moral is, spread your stuff around your tent or keep it on your person.

The good news.....they were caught with LOADS of peoples belongings and will never be allowed at Glasto again. Unfortunately for her they were caught months later and she still needed someone to drive to the festival with her car keys.

Edited by whisty

Reading through the posts now I think that something which is clear is while for an inocent, wasted punter with nothing otherthan crashing down on their minds, going into the wrong tent genuinely is just a harmless funny escapade on the way home,to a thief is is an excuse and to the tent owners it can be annoying, infuriating or terrifying, don't do it.

Despite the usual piled up crap in the inner doorway alcove of my tent (=2 zips to get through), someone still undid mine once and entered (this is over five years ago).

He would have been better off pretending wrong tent rather than pretending he was trying to sell 'baccy whilst obviously doing a quick reccy of (standard like a students bedroom) said tent.

I've done the "I sleep with an axe" story already this year haven't I?

So, not caught one, but persuaded one to go away.

Possibly pretty stupid really as they travel in packs as a rule.