Why has Glastonbury got so popular?

Guest tinytim270183

As one of the many regulars who did not got a ticket this year, I was wanting to get peoples thoughts on why it has got so popular over the last few years. 2008 sold out a few days before the festival and 2009 took until February to sell out.

I wonder if the extended BBC coverage has had an influence? And has Glastonbury become an event that people need to "tick off the list"?

Do we think it will go back to how it was?

Thoughts on a postcard please?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was just 2008 that didn't sell or straight away? That aside, every other year since 2002 has been mega sell out, which coincides with the super fences going up. So, I'd say that it's been this popular at least since 2000, maybe even since 1995, as loads of people went knowing they could jump the fence. 2008 was the real blip year, what with the awful, awful weather in 2007.

I don't see an easy T day any time soon, not unless we really do get Fleetwood Mac and Depeche Mode as headliners and it chucks it down.

I went in 2003 just because I thought I should go once, and, er, yeah... still going! So I think it's partly that the box-tickers fall in love and want to go again and again, coupled with the blanket BBC coverage (which does make it look awesome, even if it misses out the vast majority of the festival!) and the fact that the weather's been decent for the last few festivals - pictures in the papers of pretty girls in bikini tops and shorts is always going to be a more attractive prospect than the 'Somme/quagmire/disaster' style Daily Mail headlines we get in wet years!

My first year was 2007 and I'm still going. I do remember feeling quite miserable at one point, stood in what seemed like never ending rain and the sea of mud that was at the other stage. It didn't put me off but I can see why it did others. Agree this probably was the main reason behind slow sales in 2008.

Good weather and various ways to avoid festival loos and dirt have removed the barriers mentally at least that put a lot of people off - i think there was always a lot of people wanting to go really, just afraid of the dirty reputation

Lost count of the number who said they'd go if there was no mud and they could have their daily shower.

It's increased to a certain extent due to the reasons others have given above I suppose. But has it really increased that much in popularity though?

Is it more that since 2002 (superfence) everyone (or nearly everyone) has to have one of a limited number of tickets/passes? Whereas prior to that huge amounts of people jumped/blagged in.

Don't forget estimates put the 2000 figures as being around 250,000 people on site and some reckon a lot more. Obviously a lot of people wanted to go that year and how many other years was the demand well over the amount of tickets available or even sold?

Ok there are many people who go now to tick a box, it's the done thing, saw it on the BBC and only go now because they can shower, buy everything on site, get their hair straightened, buy their (hunter) wellies on site etc but, as said above, there are large numbers of people who went in 1990 who wouldn't go near it now.

Do the numbers not going anymore not take away from the numbers of those who go now?

I don't know if this is right though, it's just a thought

Edited by storm

I went first as a broke student, then with girlfirends, later wife then kids and now work there. Over the years the festival has changed, so have those who go, who play there.............

I think it is seen as a safe place, a fun event, great music great people, (there are loads of vids on youtube not about music but about people having a good time...

..........good times thats why more people want to go, and they always have!

I think everyyear more and more new comers join and then return. My 1st was 2008. And iv tried every year since. Last time i went was 2011. And got tickets next year. So its been every 3 years so far. On tv it doesnt look good at all. But now ive been and experienced glasto. I can say i will always go. My music back ground used to be dance and r n b. But now since glasto ive liked more indie and rock too. So at glasto uv got all sorts of music so for someone like me its brilliant. Have some good memories fron arcadia. Dub step tent. Dance tents. And the main stages

You're right. They brought in the October deposit to give the tickets more time to sell out. Before that it was just T day in spring. The reasoning was that some people would have already spent that money for the year, so didn't get Glasto tickets. It was a way of getting people to commit to tickets earlier.