Avoid the Welcome Break Michaelwood services

Guest honeywolf

Thought I would share my experience for anyone using the Welcome Break in Michaelwood services. Especially if you using them to stop for a period to / from Glastonbury festival.

On the Sunday night we left Glastonbury to get away early and stopped at the Michaelwood services. Had a nap then went about our merry way a few hours later.

I had the delight of receiving a £100 fine in the post (£60 if you pay sharpish) for stopping in the car park for more than x2 hours. Outrageous!!!!

There is apparently signs saying there is a free limit on your stay there, but being tired and doing the sensible thing I stopped for a rest.

I would strongly recommend finding another services if you are looking for a power nap / long break. Avoid the unpleasant fine!!!

Look out for the Parking Eye logo of doom.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would share my experience for anyone using the Welcome Break in Michaelwood services. Especially if you using them to stop for a period to / from Glastonbury festival.

On the Sunday night we left Glastonbury to get away early and stopped at the Michaelwood services. Had a nap then went about our merry way a few hours later.

I had the delight of receiving a £100 fine in the post (£60 if you pay sharpish) for stopping in the car park for more than x2 hours. Outrageous!!!!

There is apparently signs saying there is a free limit on your stay there, but being tired and doing the sensible thing I stopped for a rest.

I would strongly recommend finding another services if you are looking for a power nap / long break. Avoid the unpleasant fine!!!

Look out for the Parking Eye logo of doom.

Edited by AiiShotTheDJ

Don't pay it!!! Its not the same as receiving a parking ticket from a traffic warden or council parking warden. The whole thing is one big shake down, with their business model based on enough people paying when they get the first letter.

Have a read through this forum and you'll see what I mean.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=fdf2478908ebe5c6c660d0bd9bec444e&showforum=30

It takes balls to ignore the letters as the threats get more seriously. However, after three or four letter they just stop. I've had it happen 3 times now, all with the exact same result... i.e. nothing!

You're under no legal obligation to tell them who was driving your car at the time, so they won't pursue you via the courts.

As an aside, I stopped at this service station on the way to Glastonbury this year. Hunter (the wellie people) had a big van and were giving out new wellies in return for people's old ones. So if you thought you saw an unusual number of red/orangey coloured wellies this year this was probably one of the sources. I didn't have a set of old wellies so asked them would they just give me a pair free. They indicated that they would not. Bastards. I was going to put them on ebay and sell them too.

It is a scam, pure and simple and encourages dangerous driving. People should look at what civilised countries do, like France, where you can stop for up to 24 hours in their rest areas with no charge, including overnight camping. But that would be a sensible approach - not something this country is known for when some c*nt can make a lot of money.

Any lawyers about on the forum.

Contract law needs offer and accept and silence can't be deemed as accept.....my very rubbish limited knowledge

therefore there's no contract and con't be enforced....theory blown to bits by traffic wardens being able to enforce but would like to know the contract law view on it

Agree it's a complete rip off. Especially when there are signs lit up on the motorway saying "Tiredness Kills - Take a break", so you stop in the only place you can and get hit with a £100 fine for being too tired.

Can you pay to park for longer than 2 hours? Think I've seen a sign?

Agree it's a complete rip off. Especially when there are signs lit up on the motorway saying "Tiredness Kills - Take a break", so you stop in the only place you can and get hit with a £100 fine for being too tired.

Can you pay to park for longer than 2 hours? Think I've seen a sign?

Edited by jameshunt