Football 2013-2014

Guest kaosmark2

For some reason multiquotes not working on the work computers so I will have to do these one at a time. I cant see man utd just pipping liverpool and spurs to anyone, they finished the best part of 30 points ahead of the former and 20 points away from the latter. Their may be some regression with Fergie leaving but I cant imagine it being to the level to make those 3 clubs at a similar level. Also theres a chance that liverpool and spurs could both lose their best player.

Im going to be really boring and duck predictions at this stage, their hasnt been much transfer activity yet and it was man citys poor transfer dealings last summer that cost them the title. If teams went with their current squads, I would predict all 3 who came up will go down. How they invest in the next couple of months will determine their fate. A lot are writing stoke off as relegation candidates, however I wonder if the club and Hughes may be a good fit. A lot of people completely write off Hughes managerial record due to the last couple of years but when you look at it as a whole there have been as many good years as bad. Providing you dont give him too much money to spend he has generally done ok.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont agree at all, to say man u should be 4th-6th suggests they are closer to the likes of spurs, liverpool and everton then they are to chelsea, man city and arsenal. I cant agree with this at all, the strength in depth at man utd far exceed the likes of liverpool, spurs and everton who always look very short outside the first 11. They have a good keeper, good defence, good attacking options, good backup and its only really the midfield i see them as being short. I think their squad is also comfortably ahead of arsenal still, who despite not losing their best players, will need to being some serious talent in to close the gap.

I think Arsenal's squad is significantly ahead of Man U's. Defensively I'd say Koscielny/Mertesacker's last season was better than Vidic/Ferdinand, both of whom are aging, Vermaelen's better than Evans, De Gea's a lot better than Sczezny, but I'd still say player-for-player Arsenal edge it there. Arsenal's midfield depth is fantastic, Wilshere, Rosicky, Oxlade Chamberlain, Arteta, Ramsey, Santi Cazorla are probably all better than most of Man U's first choice. Up front Man U have a clear edge, but we don't know what's going on with Rooney, and Moyes has a history of striker's deteriorating under him. I think depth is very much Arsenal's strong point, what they lack is a world class player or two.

I dont think its just quality but leadership. When you look at both arsenal and man uniteds teams theres no doubt who you would want fighting in the trenches with you. When you look at the invincibles they had great leaders (even outside the captaincy) and I just havent seen it with arsenal in recent years.

.Wilshere/Cazorla/Arteta as a first choice 3 is excellent, and Rosicky, Ramsey and Ox are a pretty excellent set for squad players. Rosicky's regained a bit of consistency in the last couple of years, and while Ramsey looked really poor for a while, I think the last 3 months of the season he was starting to regain form a bit. Ox has put in some great performances, but given his age it's no surprise he's inconsistent.

Count yourself lucky your not waiting for the BSP fixtures! People can talk about the quality of opposition but from expereince once the season starts people forget and move into win,lose, draw mode. I suspect your fans will be much happier as Im sure you will get more winning experience than recent years.

Dreadful might be pushing it, but yeah, Fergie's walked away at a difficult time for the squad. The likes of Jones, Smalling and Cleverley might step up to another level to be good enough to replace the old guard, but I think it unlikely. Moyes is clearly a good manager, but I'm not sure he's good enough to even maintain Man U's current performance level, let alone rebuild them into a force in Europe. Factor in other teams around them inevitably getting better and I think the league position decline will be significant.

I guess you could be right; I'd stopped myself having any thoughts in that direction just on the basis that I'd have likely ended up concluding what I wanted to conclude rather than anything from the real situation.

If it is as bad as you're thinking right at this moment, it might well be quite different come kick off going by what the papers have regularly said in recent weeks - and that's that Utd will spend £85M on either Skippy or Bale (which one will be decided by Real Madrid, cos Utd only get their not-wanteds :P), and they're also determined to buy Fabregas from Barca too.

Personally i'm not sure that Fabregas would go to Utd, but whether he would or not is not really the issue. It's that if these stories are true (and i personally think there's something in both of them) then that's big ambition and big spending from Utd.

So I reckon that reports of their death have been greatly exaggerated.

Unfortunately. :P

I guess you could be right; I'd stopped myself having any thoughts in that direction just on the basis that I'd have likely ended up concluding what I wanted to conclude rather than anything from the real situation.

If it is as bad as you're thinking right at this moment, it might well be quite different come kick off going by what the papers have regularly said in recent weeks - and that's that Utd will spend £85M on either Skippy or Bale (which one will be decided by Real Madrid, cos Utd only get their not-wanteds :P), and they're also determined to buy Fabregas from Barca too.

Personally i'm not sure that Fabregas would go to Utd, but whether he would or not is not really the issue. It's that if these stories are true (and i personally think there's something in both of them) then that's big ambition and big spending from Utd.

So I reckon that reports of their death have been greatly exaggerated.

Unfortunately. :P

I can't imagine Fabregas going to Man U. Surely he'd only leave Barca if they completely didn't want him, and in that scenario, surely he'd try and go back to Arsenal first?

that's pretty much identical to my thoughts about it - but as I said, it's more the indication of ambition to spend/sign it shows that's the more important thing about that (if it's true of course).

If they're after a Fabregas level player alongside £85M spent on Bale or skippy, that's high level stuff. It would easily be enough to keep them in contention around the top.

I don't actually think success this season is that important for Man U unless they do something stupid and consider sacking Moyes at the end of it. It's the one after that will determine how well they do long term really.

It's a really hard one to call. If it goes badly for Moyes at the start of the season (and Everton generally started poorly under him) then I reckon he could come under intense pressure from the off.

Whatever, I reckon it has a high probability of causing a little amusement at one or more points thru the season. :D

that's pretty much identical to my thoughts about it - but as I said, it's more the indication of ambition to spend/sign it shows that's the more important thing about that (if it's true of course).

If they're after a Fabregas level player alongside £85M spent on Bale or skippy, that's high level stuff. It would easily be enough to keep them in contention around the top.

Unless he wins a trophy he'll be under pressure, but it'd be foolish to sack him before 3 seasons are up unless they sink to ~ Everton's level. Anyone sensible would have to allow at least 2 transition seasons given how major the change from Fergie is.