Football 2013-2014

Guest kaosmark2

I have to say I had never noticed Mignolet until last season when he started getting hyped a little more, I guess with a keeper if you don't notice them they are probably doing something right. Iants difficult to know how he will get on, Friedel was a great keeper who failed at anfield, Im sure Westerweld was decent at some times as well. I think when it comes to keepers ability wise the premiership keepers are pretty close. A lot is down to confidence and if a new keeper makes mistakes early on with a new club, it is difficult to turn it around.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Begovic is definitely a talent, I think a lot of good keepers had poor seasons last year, but the comparison was more in terms of young keepers with similar Prem experience. I guess Guzan could go into that, but he's not been playing in the Prem for nearly as long as the other 3. I just reckon Liverpool didn't have many options so Sunderland ramped the price up a bit.

The deals and transfers at your place were insane, I just don't understand how they could be in place like that. How much of the lingering troubles remain? Obviously a lot of high-wage players have now gone, and I guess a fair whack of the owed transfer fees?

Did really well. You could see the difference in quality between him and our other players. Very composed very skilful. Made a huge difference in helping us qualify for Europe. Would love to have him back but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with Lomas at Millwall

Good to hear. I'm not sure if the plan is to send him out on loan again or give him a chance to break into the first team. Supposedly we're selling Perch, which would put him and Bigirimana as 5th + 6th choice CMs with us potentially playing 3 at once, so he might get games. He looked really good in friendlies when we first signed him but then didn't do anything until he went up to yours.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Now the English fixtures are out and the initial excitement has slightly worn off I'm getting excited (sad I know) about the other European leagues fixtures.

Bundesliga and Eredivise fixtures are out and I've already identified a few possible weekends for our next European football adventure. One in particular in March looks superb - it could be possible to see 4 games in 4 days, taking in home games at Ajax, PSV, and 2 from Schalke, Borussia Monchengladbach, or Cologne. That'd be seeing games on Thurs through Sunday. Will be fantastic if we can pull it off - just got to wait on Bundesliga to sort out it's TV fixtures. But I'll also wait on Serie A and La Liga before deciding. Unfortunately they don't appear to be coming out until mid July.

Edited by TheGayTent

A sensible choice, after the Jose era, the one thing Real Madrid need is stability and a safe pair of hands.

I think Tevez to Juventus is a good move for all sides. Juventus need a top class forward and a city need to freshen things up a little.

Im not sure its a sign that they aren't big players or just the biggest players in town have come knocking. I doubt any of the English or Italian clubs could have persuaded him to leave and there are some pretty big players in these countries.

As for City theres levendowski, but I have a feeling he will run his contract down. I wonder if they are thinking about going with just 1 up front next season and therefore don't think they can accommodate aguero and another superstar fighting for one place.

And I don't think Aguero/Dzeko is enough. What happens if Aguero gets an injury? What happens if it's late and they need to throw on another attacking option? I don't think any team can get away with just one striker of their level and one squad striker. 2+1 if you play 1 up front, 3+1 if you change between 1 and 2 up front, and 4+youth if you play 2 up front. It's much easier to absorb injuries at any other place in your squad than up front, it's why successful teams always seem to have an abundance of strikers - Man U being the best example.

I agree Aguero/dzeko isnt enough, my point is that maybe they wont be looking for a superstar forward to supplement the 2 of them but maybe someone the next level down eg similar to dzekos level. Man have plenty of forwards but Hernandez and Wellbeck are not at the level where they feel agrieved if they are on the bench in the bigger games. Man Utd have had 1 season with 2 big name forwards and already the second one wants to leave.

I wonder if city are going to look to give one of their younger players a chance as the 4th striker. Guidetti is a funny one, one of the top scorers in holland in 2011/2012 and they left him in the reserves last season which seems a bit of a waste.

I think Paulinho to Spurs is going to be a good signing, I have been impressed with what I have seen of him for Brazil. I imagine this could mean the end of Parker and Huddlestone. If Spurs can keep Bale and find a decent forward they could be stronger next season.