Guest beth_h123

It's not "pockets".

It's the sorts of attitude which decides (say) that a black man in a flash car must be dodgy and need checking out, when the same situation with a white guy wouldn't get the same response.

The stats for car stops, and (walking) stop and search bear this out, whilst the proportion of crime discovered by such police actions shows there's no greater proportional criminality discovered by that 'racial targeting'.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always get slightly narked by the general perception of the Police. I'm entirely biased, as my old boy has just retired after 15 years service (having already had 22 years a soldier).

I've heard the stories of what he has dealt with, what he has seen. Some of it is bloody awful. Much of it on a daily basis. All the things you might not think about; attending road traffic accidents, injured children, informing families of death of a loved one, breaking down the doors of an old boy who has been lying dead in his chair for weeks. Etc etc.

Yes there are some bad eggs. There are some bad eggs at my work and I work in I.T. !!!

But what I would say is; try doing their job for a day or two and then see if you have the same opinions.

Labelling a whole force racist is just as misguided as many of the 'catch-all' statements we hear in daily life. Like the Scots are tight (we are!) and Leeds fans are all thugs (we are!) ( :D )

This also isn't to say that mistakes aren't made, that bad bastards occasionally do bad things and that it isn't an institution which can continue to better itself.

But have a think about whether you'd like it to be your parent/partner etc having to deal with many of the dangers that they face every day, because it's real and it's present.

Always get slightly narked by the general perception of the Police. I'm entirely biased, as my old boy has just retired after 15 years service (having already had 22 years a soldier).

I've heard the stories of what he has dealt with, what he has seen. Some of it is bloody awful. Much of it on a daily basis. All the things you might not think about; attending road traffic accidents, injured children, informing families of death of a loved one, breaking down the doors of an old boy who has been lying dead in his chair for weeks. Etc etc.

Yes there are some bad eggs. There are some bad eggs at my work and I work in I.T. !!!

But what I would say is; try doing their job for a day or two and then see if you have the same opinions.

Labelling a whole force racist is just as misguided as many of the 'catch-all' statements we hear in daily life. Like the Scots are tight (we are!) and Leeds fans are all thugs (we are!) ( :D )

This also isn't to say that mistakes aren't made, that bad bastards occasionally do bad things and that it isn't an institution which can continue to better itself.

But have a think about whether you'd like it to be your parent/partner etc having to deal with many of the dangers that they face every day, because it's real and it's present.

Belly laugh post of the day :)

Oh and the people that think the police will no longer baton charge are really extremely naive. Having no real civil unrest for the last 20 years or so is no guide to the future kiddies. Exclude the last flashmobs riots, the Police were caught off guard.

That is a ridiculously simplistic view of a far more complex situation, for example are you comparing like for like planning applications?

Im working on the reasonable assumption that you get more planning applications from the remainder of society than you do from the traveller communtiy. Do you agree that this is valid? You are then saying that 90% of bugger all (in comparison) shows that, Planning Officer, The Planning Officers Boss, Planning Comitee, The Planning Inspectorate, The Court System, and the Police are all discriminating against this section of society?

Comparing percentages doesnt always tell the full story especially with such a relativly small sample size. I would assume and think its fair to assume that many applications like Dale Farm are not your run of the mill change of use application, listed building consent, or adding an extension. More complex applications are by there nature more likley to be refused.

I think its perfectly reasonable to suggest that the other contributing factors which determine the outcome of a planning application such as, what constraints are relevent, what policey are relevent are more likely to be the reason behind an application being rejected.

Yet you beleive the one that is most significant in determine a planning application is what group the applicant comes from.

This is a subject quite close to my heart as I work for a planning authority and I am currently knee deep in the spatial aspects of the next chapter of planning policy. While I agree bad decisions are sometimes made by and large these are few and far between in my experaince dealing with many planning authorities.

Bugger me that filled in a quiet afternoon in the office!

A couple of points

1. Those thinking that policing at Glastonbury is in anyway intrusive should try going to a football match as an away supporter...

2. Dale Farm and planning. Dale Farm was used as a scrap yard without planning permission it was never brown belt land.

3. The stat about 90% of travellers planning applications being turned out is meaningless. You need more information. E.g. if I apply to build a lovely 3 bedroom bungalow in teh middle of a National Park I wouldn't expect my application to succeed

4. You might not like some of the things the police have to do, you will appreciate them if you ever NEED them.

Bugger me that filled in a quiet afternoon in the office!

A couple of points

1. Those thinking that policing at Glastonbury is in anyway intrusive should try going to a football match as an away supporter...

2. Dale Farm and planning. Dale Farm was used as a scrap yard without planning permission it was never brown belt land.

3. The stat about 90% of travellers planning applications being turned out is meaningless. You need more information. E.g. if I apply to build a lovely 3 bedroom bungalow in teh middle of a National Park I wouldn't expect my application to succeed

4. You might not like some of the things the police have to do, you will appreciate them if you ever NEED them.

Lawful Development Certificate perhaps?

I believe it was the case at the time the travellers were evicted that he had no permission of any kind. Whether he's sorted something since I don't know.

The status of the land his building is (or at least, was) on is no different to that traveller's site, and given that it's a longer running case of no planning permission, why was he not acted against first? Etc, etc, etc. ;)

There should probably be a checklist when people apply for their registration numbers:

Naive lefty views - check

Compare everything unfavourably with the past - check

Always look back through the rosiest of rose tinted spectacles - check