Guest beth_h123

I know I'll probably cop abuse for this but here goes anyway.

The style and content of the most recent exchanges on this thread, culminating in those closing seven words of the post above, are a disgrace. It's beyond trolling and has now spiralled downwards into racial abuse. All those involved, on whatever side of the argument, should reflect on the style of debate they use on here and the increasingly hostile tone that has now reached this low point. The thread should be closed.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live near a static travellers site (contradiction in terms) and when you see the amount of shit they just leave lying around, the horses illegally poorly tethered by the side of the roads, the uninsured, untaxed scrambler bikes the kids ride around on, you see why people dont want them on their doorstep. If they were half normal people wouldnt mind them, but generally they are dirty little pikeys

I live near a static travellers site (contradiction in terms) and when you see the amount of shit they just leave lying around, the horses illegally poorly tethered by the side of the roads, the uninsured, untaxed scrambler bikes the kids ride around on, you see why people dont want them on their doorstep. If they were half normal people wouldnt mind them, but generally they are dirty little pikeys

The style and content of the most recent exchanges on this thread, culminating in those closing seven words of the post above, are a disgrace. It's beyond trolling and has now spiralled downwards into racial abuse. All those involved, on whatever side of the argument, should reflect on the style of debate they use on here and the increasingly hostile tone that has now reached this low point. The thread should be closed.

I've never seen open racism on this forum before.

Too sadly, it happens. Tho it's been far better in recent years than back when efestivals started.

Nicely put Mark.

To 'Big Vern':

Your racism is beyond acceptable, and won't be tolerated here. This is a warning; do it again, you're gone.

I offer my sincere apologies for my post above. It comes after years and a few particularly bad weeks of annoyance from the local travellers site that both the local council and community police seem to have no interest in sorting and the residents in my street are reaching the end of their patience with (now 3 houses on the market almost in a row) and my comments are based purely on my experience. I recognise however that this experience can be and often is experienced from all walks of like, not just the travelling community.

However I have tarred a whole community with the same brush, for which I offer my deepest apologies.

Reading back out of the heat of writing in I feel shamed and have deleted

Edited by Big Vern

Despite the past I thought Glastonbury was now a festival where people could come and enjoy each others company without the prejudice encountered in the everyday world we all have to live in. Talking friendlily with people from all walks of life no matter what their background, race or occupation, is what makes it the greatest festival in the world for me. For me it is very disappointing to see such uncontrolled hatred for some groups of people that will be at the festival. Whether it is the Police, Travellers, or any other folk that we might meet at the festival, can't we all try and put the past and prejudice behind us for just a few days and make it a pleasant long weekend for everyone.

As for me, yes the Police have treated me awfully in the past (during the Thatcher dictatorship), but in recent years at the Glastonbury they have always been polite and friendly and certainly haven't bothered me in anyway. So for me I treat people as I find them now and not how I have found them in the past.

In a certain way this is all kind of appropriate - isn't that what always goes wrong - irritations turn into anger the blood rises and it becomes oh so easy to simplify the world into them vs. us. In the heat of the moment we lump whole groups together and end up lashing out, be it normal people irritated by another group or the police assuming certain types are worth harrasing

I think that's part of what makes the policing at glasto work - they can relax and know they're not looking for knife wielding maniacs or worse and just get on with keeping the peace and no more. Hard to harass some dodgy looking sort while you're dancing in a tutu with a punter

These are horrible people: they drink too much, use drugs, are dirty, listen to loud antisocial music, leave mess everywhere, urinate in bushes, displace locals, clog up rural roads...oh wait, thats us. Glastonbury attendees :)

These are horrible people: they drink too much, use drugs, are dirty, listen to loud antisocial music, leave mess everywhere, urinate in bushes, displace locals, clog up rural roads...oh wait, thats us. Glastonbury attendees :)