Weather

Guest Mr Andre

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea it certainly did rain on the Sunday night in 2009. It had been really hot all day and there was a massive thunderstorm just after the headliners had finished. I was only wearing a summer dress and got absolutely drenched. It was quite nice though just to cool down!

Yea it certainly did rain on the Sunday night in 2009. It had been really hot all day and there was a massive thunderstorm just after the headliners had finished. I was only wearing a summer dress and got absolutely drenched. It was quite nice though just to cool down!

Yeah, totally hoofed down at about 1am Sunday>Monday. The following day it was fine, and by Tuesday it was death of a million suns. My camp site mates took the piss out of me for getting a taxi to pick me up from our campsite by the farm. It was air conditioned, and I felt like I'd died and gone to Heaven. Only went as far as Castle Cary though. :)

Jackone's latest

"Summary

This week now looking generally unsettled however the risk of rain heavily concentrated heavily towards Thursday, other days not looking that troublesome. This weekend will see further rain as low pressure sweeps East/South Eastwards across the UK. For Glastonbury festival week itself, signs of pressure building from the south west, but disagreement between models as to this extent. ECM is more promising in this regard, and next week is looking drier than this week.

Sorry to repeat yesterdays comment pre festival rain, but this weeks rain could make ground conditions saturated, and hence increase the risk of a mud bath.

Starting the ratings :-

Festival Dryness (0= washout, 10=dry) 6/10 More promising. Despite GFS 12Hz run most runs are positive for next week, and ECM today quite steady in this regard.

Ground Mudbath Rating (0=mudbath, 10 = dustbowl) 3.5/10 It seems very likely that there will be moderate rainfall between now and the festival commencing, quite possibly around an inch of rain, however the risk of more than that has receded, althoguh This Thursday still needs to be watched, perhaps some mud is expected but not a complete mudbath. .

Heatwave rating (0 = freezing, 10 = heatwave), 5.5/10 winds from SW much of the time, and ECM goes for 850HPa temps above average."

http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4628-glastonbury-forecast-12-18th-june/

It's all getting a bit too close to call! Just 2 days left at work. This time next week the convoy of 4 will have left Liverpool, met another car of 3 in Warrington and will be just about to meet our Macclesfield representative on our journey south. Will try and bring the weather with me from sunny Dubai!

Edited by Bonaparte Voltaire

Jackone's latest

"Summary

This week now looking generally unsettled however the risk of rain heavily concentrated heavily towards Thursday, other days not looking that troublesome. This weekend will see further rain as low pressure sweeps East/South Eastwards across the UK. For Glastonbury festival week itself, signs of pressure building from the south west, but disagreement between models as to this extent. ECM is more promising in this regard, and next week is looking drier than this week.

Sorry to repeat yesterdays comment pre festival rain, but this weeks rain could make ground conditions saturated, and hence increase the risk of a mud bath.

Starting the ratings :-

Festival Dryness (0= washout, 10=dry) 6/10 More promising. Despite GFS 12Hz run most runs are positive for next week, and ECM today quite steady in this regard.

Ground Mudbath Rating (0=mudbath, 10 = dustbowl) 3.5/10 It seems very likely that there will be moderate rainfall between now and the festival commencing, quite possibly around an inch of rain, however the risk of more than that has receded, althoguh This Thursday still needs to be watched, perhaps some mud is expected but not a complete mudbath. .

Heatwave rating (0 = freezing, 10 = heatwave), 5.5/10 winds from SW much of the time, and ECM goes for 850HPa temps above average."

http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4628-glastonbury-forecast-12-18th-june/

Edited by tumbles

2011 was pretty wet until the Saturday. Think it had been wet for weeks before though and the ground was pretty muddy before the masses turned up. When U2 where on the Friday night it was absolutely tipping it down. By Sunday we were getting sunburnt and sat on the ground.

Think the year looks t be the opposite, dry at first then muddy on the last few days.

I think he's over estimating the mud bath. Unless its totally sodden underfoot come Wednesday morning then I doubt it'll be anything of the sort. Rain this week/end, yes. But if its dry from Sunday onwards then chances are it'll be fairly dry on surface. Even if its a bit soft with dry weather forecast till Friday.. it's not going to be anywhere near 2011 when it literally pissed it down about 10am when everyone was walking in and that's when it got churned up.. from memory after that downpour the rest of Weds and Thurs was ok wasn't it?

I remember 2011 really well. I'd just got my tent up on Weds at about 9am and it chucked it down. For the rest of the day, every now and then the Glastonbury Tor would suddenly disappear, and that was how you knew you had 5 minutes to reach shelter before it pissed it down again.

Can't remember Thursday doing much weather wise, but Friday I was wearing a suit and I remmeber it being VERY soggy by late afternoon.

All the model updates are really transient, and ever changing </usual legal caveat>

But I have semi-realistic! hopes, as of RIGHT NOW ONLY!! folks! that JACKONE will be able to post a better update tomorrow. Basing this on some models from the 6 pm (18z) run from both GFS and ECM, which do seem to favour, even confirm, the prospect of a High Pressure build from the SW next week.

JACKONE hasn't incorporated those yet. The more important updates will be midnight anyway, these I believe incorporate a wider spread of data.

We'll be in Glastonbury (town) Friday and Saturday nights coming up, aiming to head on site on Sunday. I have no smartphone and can't post, but I will try and work something out re texts from my dimphone ..

Edited by William of Walworth

NFR Spy checking in.

TBH I wouldn't be worried about pre-festival rainfall unless it's torrential and a day or 2 beforehand. Let's not forget that until we all put tents up, majority of the festival footprint is fields/grass/trees. In June they are at their height of growth cycle and will be drinking like crazy. Warmth and breezes encourage evaporation. The ground and plant life will do a great job of dispersing the water and most festival traffic in the set up phase will be on the metal tracks and established fire roads on the farm.

One of the major problems once the festival is open is that there is virtually NO open and uncovered land. this is why the rain runs off tents, marquees and covered walkways into the exposed areas of land, concentrating a few mm of rain into a few cm of rain as it runs off. Then our feet churn it into a mudbath.

NFR NFC. *runs away screaming*