Worst crush at Reading/Leeds?

Guest Areophobia

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree Eminem is probably more V don't forget he played R/L twice back in the "good old days" including headlining.

@Couchy oh me neither - certainly adds to the atmosphere though :P!

To anyone who was there what were the crushes like for the Foos last year?

I agree - I honestly think it'll be mayhem.

I've seen Rage and The Prodigy - how do the Foos compare to seeing them? Better or worse? I'm talking about being within the first barrier btw.

Edited by MrIdioteque

I know the crushes at The Prodigy forced them to change the position of the main stage at Leeds that was horrific.

Can remember been told to step back before Blink even came on, Shikari in 09 & Limp Bizkit in 10 worst iv'e experienced.

Think it's got much better in previous years all though I rarely go near the front any more because of those experiences.

I've experienced a few crushes funnily enough one of them was for Foals at Birmingham O2 academy was right at the front gridlocked between some massive guys then everyone serged forward that was a shock to say the least and possibly one of the worst as I could hardly breath and the missus was totally freaking out, I was at the front for Slipknot at Sonisphere as well and that got a very cosy, I was going to crowd surf out because the missus was getting a bit panicky but we stayed and all was good. Also at Reading in 2010 for Mumford & Sons in the NME was on the second barrier and everyone was so crushed that the crowded swayed and loads of us where I was ended up on the floor had about 5 folks fall on top of me luckily we all kind of helped each other out. I've seen both Rage and The Prodigy more than once but I've always been in a good place so I've never had any really worrying moments, plus I've always been pretty smashed so nothing hardly bothers me then.

Edited by OneTwo

Usually I manage to avoid crowds pretty well but I've been stuck in some nasty ones at Reading. Pendulum 08 was horrible, and as soon as they played the first song we jumped between the middle barriers and got out the side. The same for between QOTSA and Rage, but we got out before Rage even came on stage because it was so packed! Also for some reason there was a massive crush for the Arctic Monkeys in 06, and we were nowhere near the front. The Prodigy in 09 also managed to pack out our usually safe spot of the front far right of the stage.

Unfortunately what happens (and I admit I've done this in my more inexperienced days) is a circle pit opens somewhere in the distance causing all those who don't want to be in it to move further in, pushing against those in the middle. Those in the middle either don't want to lose their space/friends or fear they're being crushed and push back against it, causing mass swaying.

Thats my understanding anyway...

Unfortunately what happens (and I admit I've done this in my more inexperienced days) is a circle pit opens somewhere in the distance causing all those who don't want to be in it to move further in, pushing against those in the middle. Those in the middle either don't want to lose their space/friends or fear they're being crushed and push back against it, causing mass swaying.

Thats my understanding anyway...

Being a bit of an old lady these days I don't tend to head to the front much, especially not for the bigger bands - I like to be able to wander down and then leave if I please! So can't really comment on some of the more reent stuff, but I'd imagine that its got better as 'barrier technology' has improved.

Worst I have been in was between System and Metallica in 03, menatl reverse crush, we were rammed against the front of the sound tower! And the front of Alien Ant Farm (03 or 04?) in the tent first gig back after his accident. Was really early but tent was full - absolutely mental and full of dicks waiting for smooth criminal!

I think the people on this forum have more gig experience than a lot of those who go to Reading and Leeds, for some of them it's their first ever experience of live music, or at least they're not seasoned so they don't have much etiquette when watching bands.