The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

31 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Any decent rucksack recommendations?

I've still got the same one from the mid 90s (!) and its starting to give up so looking to replace it this summer.

Like ones with plenty of pockets and I'm 6ft2 if knowing that makes any difference.  Happy to splash out on something decent if this one lasts me nearly 30 years like my current one has!

If you're looking to splash out on something decent then similar advise to buying new boots. Go to a decent outdoor shop and try a few. What works for one person might not work for another. 

Having said that, as a very general recommendation, I'm also a fan of Osprey. They also have a lifetime parts replacement service. I bought a second hand day pack which had a broken belt buckle. Ordered a new replacement online. 30 second job to swap it out

10 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Full size. 

I've got one like this but they have got really very expensive - have a look at their full range - every osprey product I've bought has been really high quality with great zips and has been really comfy

The other option is Alpkit which is much better value but lacks some of the higher end features like the back frame (I might also have a 5% voucher if you need it)

15 hours ago, thewomble said:

My local Aldi has started getting bits in now. I’ve picked up a tent lantern which doubles up as a torch for £4.99. A bit on the flimsy side but it’s bright, decent for the price

This looks ideal. Debated whether or not to take a cool bag this year as it’s just me going down with Oxfam but might treat myself! 😊 amazing idea with the Tupperware how long did it stay cold for?

Can’t remember exactly but quite a while - I’d been looking all sort of fancy solutions but this worked well. The giant ice cube was a 2ltr container obviously not full of water so it could expand when frozen. Empty cool bag in freezer for a day or so before hand. Popped out massive ice cube added items- the big ice cube limited capacity a bit. Topped up gaps with bag of ice before I set off. So stuff does end up swimming about in very cold water. The decathlon cool bag has a padded inner lid you can wedge down as you use items. Limited how many time I opened it during the festival. But scrunched up space blanket inside once there was more space & kept it in the tent under another space blanket with cool bag on the grass. My intention was to buy more ice if needed, but didn’t bother. 

On 4/30/2024 at 1:46 PM, adequate8 said:

Just got this and a 16cm SIM, going for ultimate comfort this year (and 3 trips to the car potentially).

turns out the vango 16cm SIM is all we need, so going to sell 2x of these Quechua mattress bases.

Anyone keen before I pop on eBay/marketplace? 

DM if so, I’m in Manchester but could probably look at posting too

6 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

turns out the vango 16cm SIM is all we need, so going to sell 2x of these Quechua mattress bases.

Anyone keen before I pop on eBay/marketplace? 

DM if so, I’m in Manchester but could probably look at posting too

What mattresses do you speak of mate

On 5/5/2024 at 9:34 PM, Charliehmiller said:

Bit pricey but would highly recommend this mattress, been using it for the last 2 years at festivals and it feels like your on an actual bed, highly recommend 

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15979402/berghaus-single-self-inflating-mat-15979402

I liked this mat so much I got 2 of them. Unfortunately both are now f*cked, won’t hold any air. Had a disappointingly uncomfortable Glasto last year after one went. 
I did get a full refund on one, not tried on the other yet. 

41 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

I liked this mat so much I got 2 of them. Unfortunately both are now f*cked, won’t hold any air. Had a disappointingly uncomfortable Glasto last year after one went. 
I did get a full refund on one, not tried on the other yet. 

That pretty much mirrors the reviews on the website. For the money, I'd avoid!

4 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

That pretty much mirrors the reviews on the website. For the money, I'd avoid!

Yeah annoying. A bit of a faff getting a refund too. They wanted a video of it deflating! Eventually sent them the least exciting video ever and had a reply saying they aren’t able to view videos in any format! 

I do have a Vango 10cm double which seems much better quality, lasted longer than both of the Berghaus ones. It’s a lot of bed to carry though. 

29 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

Yeah annoying. A bit of a faff getting a refund too. They wanted a video of it deflating! Eventually sent them the least exciting video ever and had a reply saying they aren’t able to view videos in any format! 

I do have a Vango 10cm double which seems much better quality, lasted longer than both of the Berghaus ones. It’s a lot of bed to carry though. 

Before I got my van I had a 10cm mattress. It was almost comically big. Comfy though.

6 minutes ago, Soulphuric said:

To save me scrolling through this or other threads, does anyone have any good, current recommendations for sleeping bags please?  Having to buy 4 of them, so it's a balance between price and warmth.  Cheers!

Blacks have some good deals on sleeping bags at the moment (50% off many of them, with an extra 15% off some if you spend over £100 (which is likely if you are buying 4!)). Free shipping if you spend over £80 as well. 

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/sleeping/sleeping-bags/

2 hours ago, Soulphuric said:

To save me scrolling through this or other threads, does anyone have any good, current recommendations for sleeping bags please?  Having to buy 4 of them, so it's a balance between price and warmth.  Cheers!

I'm a big fan of our double sleeping bag - if any of the 4 are a couple, they're definitely worth considering (I also find it hard to sleep in single sleeping bags).

Doubles can usually break into two singles also

1 hour ago, TheDayman said:

I'm a big fan of our double sleeping bag - if any of the 4 are a couple, they're definitely worth considering (I also find it hard to sleep in single sleeping bags).

Doubles can usually break into two singles also

Sleeping pod for me they give that extra bit of wiggle room but don’t feel like a sarcophagus