The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Reckon Lidl or Aldi would let me lie on one instore

Probably not a good idea unless you want a 'chat' with the nearest store security guy :lol: Not a particularly practical idea anyway as they take a while to sort themselves out when you first open them up. It wouldn't be that easy to roll up again either without risk of getting it grubby on the floor or whatever so you probably wouldn't be too popular.

I can defo recommend the Aldi ones though :) First one I bought at <£10 coped with 10 years of very regular use/abuse before finally giving up the ghost. In contrast, the airbed I bought a few years back just to try one out didn't even make it through it's first outing ! Good job old faithful self-inflating jobbie came along for the ride :rolleyes: Second Aldi mat now enjoying it's second year of having official sleeping-on thingy status for all festivals and various other camping trips every year. Latest design isn't quite as good as the original one but there's absolutely no reason to suspect it'll be giving up anytime soon. The only significant difference is the straps are now just elastic rather than webbing clips that can be tightened to get minimum packed size. A problem easily resolved though. The only drawback is they tend to be VERY slippy so add a nice shiny sleeping bag on top and anything more than a gentle slope underneath ... and be prepared to end up in a heap at the bottom of the tent in the morning ! If it's cold you sometimes need to give them a bit of a blow job as they can be a little reluctant to get it up fully on their own :P

They're infinitely better than a standard Karrimat but virtually the same amount of space/volume to hump, although somewhat heavier. They're obviously not as comfortable as an airbed of course. A very good happy medium so to speak though. I tend to use a thin standard roll or folding mat as well mind you if I've got space for one because it gives better ground insulation in colder times. I'm sure the likes of Thermarest et al are considered 'better' for no end of technical reasons various but for not much more than a tenner at Aldi, well worth every penny and I never leave home without one !

Edited by mikeb
  • Upvote 1

Anyone got any good ideas of keeping cans cold, when you don't have access to a fridge? Cool bags? Iceblocks?

My cooling plan for this year is to bring a folding bucket and fill with water and as many cans as possible at a time. I got mine from Robert Dyas for only £3 http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/summit-9-litre-folding-bucket. They won't be ice-cold but certainly better than tent-warm.

Cool bags and ice blocks are fine for 24 hours of camping, but pretty useless for any longer than that in my experience. I'll have a cool bag with ice blocks but just for sausages/bacon, some of which will be pre-frozen to allow them to thaw out slowly.

Edited by Janaka

My cooling plan for this year is to bring a folding bucket and fill with water and as many cans as possible at a time. I got mine from Robert Dyas for only £3 http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/summit-9-litre-folding-bucket. They won't be ice-cold but certainly better than tent-warm.

Cool bags and ice blocks are fine for 24 hours of camping, but pretty useless for any longer than that in my experience. I'll have a cool bag with ice blocks but just for sausages/bacon, some of which will be pre-frozen to allow them to thaw out slowly.

Couple of cheaper options on eBay if you need to take postage into account: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Litre-Folding-Bucket-Camping-Caravan-Portable-Collapsible-Storage-Green-/231152233907?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_Accessories&hash=item35d1bf2db3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/673456-ca1149-Paroh-Yellowstone-Foldable-Camping-Bucket-9-Litre-wb2a-/181390777595?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_Accessories&hash=item2a3bbb9cfb

For those going to Aldi -

The one thing on the page that stuck out for me is Bamboo Socks.

Seriously, at 4 quid for a 3 pack, just try it. At Glastonbury it makes a huge difference on your feet. Wear them as an Inner layer with a lightweight hiking sock outside, and you're guaranteed no blisters.

Seriously, at 4 quid for a 3 pack, just try it. At Glastonbury it makes a huge difference on your feet. Wear them as an Inner layer with a lightweight hiking sock outside, and you're guaranteed no blisters.

That's an amazing deal. I have one pair of bamboo socks, they are awesome, sooo comfortable. Even if these are thin (which let's face it they're going to be), they'll be a step up on most socks.

If only I had an Aldi near me :(

Bargain, I bought a single pair that cost me more than that.