Word Association Game

As Del Boy used to say "You KNOW it makes sense."

Sorry Whisty for a bit more 'highbrow" comedy but I can't resist what has to be one of the all time best TV comedy moments.

And a KNOW song

She knows she's FOOLING herself. OK it's a tenuous link, but I came across Samantha from a radio session and then caught her in Leeds. Her last album's great, but she really shines better as a live artist, catch her if you can.

Not live or moving, well not in images moving that is. I have to say after Black Tie album I kinda gave up on DB. Having read about how good it was supposed to be I'd saved the new album for a special listen today, little did I know. After listening, for me it's a cracker, DB at his best. 

Reference to Monday on this track as in "where the fuck did Monday go" kind of prophetic!

Edited by whisty

CAIRO

Love the way the cameraman is dancing about one minute in.  And dunno if the pic was approved by Prince but it came from The Guardian.

I can't imagine the purple one being this happy with so many on stage.

Edited by grumpyhack

RIVER

This is one of the many guises of Boney M (the group split and various members now tour with 'their versions' of the band).  I saw them a few years ago at a serious 'finger in the ear' folk festival when they were called in as a late replacement after a member of one of the booked bands suffered a bereavement.  There was a lot of "why the heck have they booked them?" but they silenced their critics with a very polished show and some great harmonies that quite surprised the folkies.

A phoenix rises from the ASHES.

Freebird has to be one of the great rock anthems but Wishbone Ash in their various guises (another band split with multiple members claiming the name) have carried the flag for UK twin guitar bands.

One of the best versions I've seen of Freebird live was on one of the Classic Rock Show tours.  They are about to do another UK tour and it's well worth catching.  The band are a spin off from Aussie and Brit Floyd.  All top notch musicians and a great live experience.

Edited by grumpyhack

Great Clip Carlosj.

Apparently the original Seamus actually belonged to Steve Marriott - but that's another story.

Another Glastonbury Stalwart Band is Mad Dog Mcrae here singing about the BEAR Necessities. Sorry it's all a view from the back but it gives a flavour of the Bandstand.

And a full frontal from Wychwood.

Cheers Mr hack, nice vids to see. I'll keep an eye out for them in June. I like the bandstand area, and Sawdusty surfer is by there too with his art and furniture.

Bears like honey, but this is just as SWEET, albeit not exactly pc and into equality.

Muddy did a few jobs before heading off to Chicago from Mississippi on a cotton plantation, even preaching, before developing his electric style. If you can catch it, I think he's even on a bizarre bbc programme set on a railway station with Sister Rosetta Tharpe too, in the 60s.

There's Sweet Home Chicago and also Skynryd's Sweet Home ALABAMA.

So this is the ALABAMA Three (who are neither three nor from Alabama)

Did enjoy a bit of what I consider real blues from Muddy.  Saw him several times in the sixties blues tours that used come over with people like Son House and Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee.

CALIFORNIA, then, as the link word.

I try to live in the moment, but I'm very jealous that you saw these musicians at that time Mr hack :-)

I'm going to disappear for a bit as this site is too tempting as a distraction from studies. ttfn.

DREAM

Mama Cass deserves a slot of her own.  Sadly a Grumpy Gonner at the age of 32.  She died in the same flat in London where Keith Moon died four years later at the same age.

Wonderful voice.  It's worth hunting out the stuff she did with Tim Rose as part of the Big 3.

Edited by grumpyhack

As no one seems to be picking up on Dream try SHINE.

This is a magnificent Nils Lofgren, a guitarist's guitarist who can do both sensitive and powerful with a song that talks about holding on to a dream.  If you ever get the chance catch him, whether solo acoustic, with his own band or with Springsteen.