Word Association Game

Jury is out for me with NL, think it's his voice, but I do so love this tune, couldn't stop playing it after hearing on The Sopranos. It's the acoustic guitar arrangement (if that's the right word) on this track that gets me and this live version way way better than the recorded one imo.

If there's no shine it'll be dull or at worst Black. 

Edited by whisty

Thanks for that Whisty.  I was getting withdrawal symptoms from the Word Association Game.

We've had lots of black links previously: Black Betty (Ram Jam Band), Black and White Night (Roy Orbison), Black Sabbath etc.  So, an attempt to find something new.

This is MARY Black.  An excellent Irish folkie with her version of the classic Richard Thompson song.

Funny, I ended up listening to 3/4 of the album Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live after that post ^^. Great sounds :)

Can't remember seeing Scott Walker here, not live or moving but such a delicious track. Child, as in Mary's Boy. From the album Scott 4, for anybody that's not heard, it's said to be a must hear at some point in your musical journey.

As an aside, heard on the radio the other night, they did a phone in on the radio with David Bowie taking phone call questions, Scott Walker called in and completely knocks the wind out of DB. Well worth a listen.

Edited by whisty

Children may well have BROTHERS

Like the Walker Brothers, the Righteous Brothers weren't actually brothers but what an astonishing vocal range.

Originally a UK hit for DJ and singer Jimmy Young.

And this was the Phil Spector Wall of Sound at its best.

Edited by grumpyhack

Unfortunately Whisty your Vid comes up with "This video does not exist" so I can't actually tell who it is you're going to see soon.

But from Beaten we go to HIT.  Ian Dury may be a Grumpy Gonner but his legacy lives on with The Blockheads, still touring with Chaz Jankel, Derek The Draw and the great Norman Watt-Roy on bass.

Norman is a busy man also playing bass for Wilko Johnson and occasionally Roger Daltry and Nick Cave.

Yep, really want to see Norman but he's hard to track down.  Barry Adamson was missing from the vid ^^ youtube vids live aren't that good.

Track featured on the OST for the movie Crash. A young looking band here.

Edited by whisty

The Banking Crash was about ARROGANCE, IGNORANCE and GREED. (Pick any of those that you fancy for a link).

I've posted this video and this band before but they are probably my favourite UK band live, and really nice people too.  So this is Show of Hands and AIG which was written in response to the banking crash.

There is also a Stereophonics link as on their album 'Covers' Show of Hands recorded 'folky/acoustic' arrangements of a lot of classics including The Stereophonics Dakota, which is now one of their great sing-alongs.

Indeed, the banking crash was all about EXTREME greed.

Norman playing with Wilco was magic last year, one of many highlights for me and Mrs oneeye, though she was a tad concerned at one point as he seemed to be overheating :)

FAR Far Away is about as extreme as you can go.

Slade, one of the great unappreciated bands who were superb live. Managed by Chas Chandler (ex Animals bass player) who also managed and brought Jimi Hendrix to the UK.

Shame Noddy decided to hang up his performing boots

I wouldn't dare Whisty.  But Joe Cocker's first backing band was called the Grease Band.  Here's the Grumpy Gonner performing with an all star band that included John 'You cannot be serious' McEnroe on guitar.

And the link word is FEELING.

McEnroe really is into playing guitar.  This is a bash at his local tennis club.

Does McEnroe throw his guitar when he messes up a chord or wrong note :). Blimey just played that vid, McEnroe is real young!

One of my favourite bands, bit of everything especially live. Prob said before, when exploring electro music & Warp label, thought this was a DJ/Mixer operation until I saw them walk out on the Glade and heart jumped for joy when I saw the double bass. Touch.

Edited by whisty

I was spent Sunday night (as usual), missed the Who 2007. Sat at tent on BG and listened not expecting much, thought it sounded good & quite enjoyed it.

Anyway, Breaking, Ms Peebles for change not singing about the thing that sent me home early 2007 :).  Last one for bit as work takes over!

Edited by whisty

UP  Neil Sedaka, One of the Brill Building writers, along with people like Carol King and Neil Diamond and still going strong and touring at 76.

Saw him live a couple of years ago.  One of those who could still do it.

Don't work too hard Whisty.

https://youtu.be/puM1k-S86nE

Link isn't working today...

Up on the roof.

Morning Mr h, seems like work is still distracting whisty.  I'm almost done on my course, and can breathe normally next week onwards.  In the meantime, here are The Drifters with a Goffin and King classic.

The night, apparently, has 1000 EYES, so a biological link for you all. I think Bob Dylan may have played piano for Bobby in the very early days.

Mr h, I'm on the cusp of taking the APMP exam, at 2pm today, for project management. My line manager has also handed her notice in (unrelated!), so it also feels like a kick up the bum to move on too. I remember you moved on from one job, are you still working or happily retired?