Films

Rufus Gwertigan

21 and Over

I wasn't sure what to expect here. I'd just watched the shite After Earth ( 1/10 btw ) and was hoping to be pleasantly surprised as my expectations were low, and sure enough, this delivered a lot of fun. It's been compared to The Hangover, but I thought it was much more like American Pie in it's style, even though the plot was very much Hangover-esque. Where this beats such movies is in the underlying plots under the main one. One which is a lot of fun, and the other which is darker, and both work perfectly with what we're seeing and everything gets paid off.

It does of course help that the main plot manages to provide us with some properly terrific comedy moments, and manages to succeed where similar movies don't in the escalating stupidity of what we're seeing, and then by the time the next morning comes, we get two of the real highlights of the movie with a nice wee ending to add a good cherry to the cake. I wouldn't go in expecting a genius comedy, but I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy it.

7/10

Because they get type cast and therefore don't get differing roles in which they might also excel? Some of the best roles are the curveball ones where someone you'd least expect plays a character outside of their comfort zone, take Breaking bad's Bryan Cranston as an example: No one would have cast him as a villain on the basis of his previous career, yet look at the job he did of it.

Because they get type cast and therefore don't get differing roles in which they might also excel? Some of the best roles are the curveball ones where someone you'd least expect plays a character outside of their comfort zone, take Breaking bad's Bryan Cranston as an example: No one would have cast him as a villain on the basis of his previous career, yet look at the job he did of it.

Heath Ledger as the Joker.

You forgot Shutter Island! The Beach was so bad though. More apologies for that please ;)

So I did! Love Shutter Island. Mark Ruffalo and Ben Kingsley on top form in that too.

Sucks about Philip Seymour Hoffman. From what I've seen he was the best bit of any movie he was in, hands down. Had an amazing range. Could play a total teddy bear or a ruthless bastard. Awesome actor.

And yet Adam Sandler continues to live.

There is no God.

Edited by Purple Monkey
  • Upvote 1

he was the best bit of any movie he was in, hands down.

Best epitaph he could have had. It is a genuine shame that we won't have more from him. I'm not one for mindless worship of dead slebs, this is a genuine loss, he could have had 30 or more years of more great roles in him. So many films where his understated, yet standout roles have benefited. I've watched 3 films in the last 2 weeks (Big Lebowski, The talented mr ripley and the most recent hunger games) which have all benefitted from his presence. How the hunger games trilogy will stand now that one of the leading parts is going to have to be changed (and he was only setting up the character in the 2nd film)

Watched Capote in tribute last night. A splendid performance, though his voice teeters right on the edge of being too much to take, accurate or not. He did bring instant credibility to every film he appeared in. Such a shame.