NEXT GEN CONSOLES

The Nal

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be going for the xbox one when it comes out I think. Quite interested how COD will play with it's new engine on the x box new engine. Plus the fact COD get's its map packs first on xbox. Sick and tired of waiting for them on PS3.

I'm a marketers dream!!

why not stick with the 360 version? it will still be on the new engine, and the exclusivity will stretch to the 360 too I reckon.

why not stick with the 360 version? it will still be on the new engine, and the exclusivity will stretch to the 360 too I reckon.

Yeah therir releasing another 360 this year anyway so games will still get released on it for a while!

Think I'll definitely wait a year or maybe longer if they keep releasing on 360 (Basically for as long Fifa supports it:P) for the next gen.

The graphics and gaming side of things are not going jump to much before it's been out a while anyway so there really doesn't seem to much of a point!

Edited by LondonTom

why not stick with the 360 version? it will still be on the new engine, and the exclusivity will stretch to the 360 too I reckon

But I'm thinking the new COD engine on XBOX One > new COD engine on xbox 360

If they look and feel the same I will stick the 360

But I'm thinking the new COD engine on XBOX One > new COD engine on xbox 360

If they look and feel the same I will stick the 360

for the same old rehashed game from money grabbers, it may be better to start with, but then it will be back to normal and become shit again

Rumours are floating about how Xbox 1 wont be released in Japan and Microsoft are refusing to deny it so far.

would make perfect sense TBH, they hardly shift any units there anyway, I'm sure the marketing and translation costs etc probably dont stack up when you consider the japanese market is pretty much pwned by sony and ninty.

On a superficial note I think Xbox One is such a dumb, dumb name.

Most people I know refer to the original Xbox as 'XBox 1'.

Xbox 1 > Xbox 360 > Xbox One? What?

I'm sure most of you have had this thought.

Did someone at Microsoft look at the Wii U and it's generally confused identity and dismal sales figures and then think doing the same thing would be wise? I bet they did too - I bet graphs and pie charts told them what to make. "Facebook and

'social' videogames are popular, so is TV, so is war and shit like sports. The numbers make sense, let's totally remove our spines and slither behind every fucking cynical trend going at absolutely any cost. Happy graphs = happy world".

Marketing people, got to love them. I bet they gave each other hand jobs after cooking up this branding masterpiece while their engineers cried themselves to sleep wonderring why they even bother.

Edited by Purple Monkey

I bet they did too - I bet graphs and pie charts told them what to make. "Facebook and

'social' videogames are popular, so is TV, so is war and shit like sports. The numbers make sense, let's totally remove our spines and slither behind every fucking cynical trend going at absolutely any cost. Happy graphs = happy world".

I miss the days when video games tried to tell their own epic story, where they tried to sell an artistic product that had its own identity rather than the number being the key part of the game.

On a superficial note I think Xbox One is such a dumb, dumb name.

Most people I know refer to the original Xbox as 'XBox 1'.

Xbox 1 > Xbox 360 > Xbox One? What?

I'm sure most of you have had this thought.

Did someone at Microsoft look at the Wii U and it's generally confused identity and dismal sales figures and then think doing the same thing would be wise? I bet they did too - I bet graphs and pie charts told them what to make. "Facebook and

Marketing people, got to love them. I bet they gave each other hand jobs after cooking up this branding masterpiece while their engineers cried themselves to sleep wonderring why they even bother.

I think it goes without saying that the early stages of development would have been "focus grouped up to fuck" with MS market researchers being sent out to speak to "anyone but gamers" about what awesome features they should put on a "console", followed by the accountants making a presentation on how best to monetise and monopolise the entire living room "experience", and how best to lock out any 3rd party's opportunity to make any money elsewhere.

This looks like it might do a lot better job than the big boys, going very much for indie support rather than blockbuster titles. Might be the way forward. Certainly doesn't look like the PS4 or Xbox One will be

http://www.ouya.tv/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

This looks like it might do a lot better job than the big boys, going very much for indie support rather than blockbuster titles. Might be the way forward. Certainly doesn't look like the PS4 or Xbox One will be

http://www.ouya.tv/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

One of Sony's biggest points is that the PS4 will give greater support to indie games.

There have been thousands of attempts at Ouya type projects before but most of them end up as consoles with rip-off version of blockbuster games.

I miss the days when video games tried to tell their own epic story, where they tried to sell an artistic product that had its own identity rather than the number being the key part of the game.

But there are plenty of games like that around today. There are a lot of dominant francaise games but there are still great games that have a single entry.

Even some francaise games tell fantastic stories.

beau1, on 23 May 2013 - 9:05 PM, said:

But there are plenty of games like that around today. There are a lot of dominant francaise games but there are still great games that have a single entry.

Even some francaise games tell fantastic stories.

Maybe it's just that I'm only a casual gamer and don't find them as easily, but I've purchased a fair whack for my 360 and haven't found many that are truly engaging. I probably spend as much time on retro gaming with old PC RTS' and N64/SNES games as I do on ones from the last 5 years. And that's with being a FIFA addict.

Edit: Which Franchise games? Gears of War and Halo started fairly good but both ended poorly, with Halo carrying on far too long. Assassin's Creed has some interesting story elements but I don't think it balances the repetitive gameplay. I didn't get along at all with Mass Effect. Most of the non-shooter big games are open-world pseudo-MMOs with more focus on exploration than story.

Edited by kaosmark2

Not with $8.5m dollar crowdfunding support and with a google OS.

True. If it can get a few of the big name titles on it, it may be a success but it won't get compare with Sony and MS if they just go with Android functionality.

I know open-sourcing it popular at the moment but I can't see it taking over as it is still a thing for the talented hard-core.

Maybe it's just that I'm only a casual gamer and don't find them as easily, but I've purchased a fair whack for my 360 and haven't found many that are truly engaging. I probably spend as much time on retro gaming with old PC RTS' and N64/SNES games as I do on ones from the last 5 years. And that's with being a FIFA addict.

Edit: Which Franchise games? Gears of War and Halo started fairly good but both ended poorly, with Halo carrying on far too long. Assassin's Creed has some interesting story elements but I don't think it balances the repetitive gameplay. I didn't get along at all with Mass Effect. Most of the non-shooter big games are open-world pseudo-MMOs with more focus on exploration than story.

Maybe the problem is that you're on 360 and they have relied upon old favourites like Halo rather than developing new story based games. Saying that, Alan Wake is meant to be good and most of my list below is made up of multi-platform games. I'm speaking here as a PS3 gamer but here some games that are one-offs and others that are sequels that are excellent story tellers.

One-Offs: Tell Tale's Walking Dead ( Ok, a Sequel is coming soon), Heavy Rain, L.A Noire, Red Dead Redemption

Sequels: Call of Duty 4 (Story wise the series went shit after W@W though), Batman: Arkham Games, Uncharted Series, Portal 2, Resistance: Fall of Man, Bioshock 1, Deux Ex: Human Revoluton,

There are probably more too. What I have found with this generation is that that the big games from last gen have been a bit of a let down story wise. GTA IV was just convoluted and boring, MGS 4 was decent but also convoluted, Resident Evil 5 and 6 were rubbish.

Still quite a lot out there though. My favourite story games have been the large RPGs like Skyrim and Fallout. I've found myself the most involved with them even though the main path isn't that exciting which is why I didn't name them above. If I was to name the top 5 games I've played this gen with great involving stories I'd say:

1. Telltale's: The Walking Dead

2. Uncharted 2

3. Heavy Rain

4. Batman: Arkham Asylum

5. Portal 2

Edited by beau1

Heavy Rain and LA Noire were gash. The product of overambition and underachievement. I'm surprised you would mention either as shining examples of this gen's gaming highs.

I actually never play a game for the story, I play for the gameplay. I know very very little about the Halo story, even though I have played them all. And I never pay any attention to the stories in FPS SP games either.

I think the only game in recent memory where I have followed the story is Farcry3, and I found it OK'ish. I just enjoyed doing stuff.

The main problem with Heavy Rain and LA Noire is the gaming mechanics. They aren't for everyone and I'm not sure i'd call them fun, especially on a second play through but they have deep involving stories which is what the debate is about.

Good call on FC3. I havent played it but have heard good things. I didn't like FC2 though so I probably won't get it. That was a game that had a decent platform but was spoiled by pooly implemented ideas and AI.

Edited by beau1

seriously, as someone who played and loved the original FC back in the day on PC, Far Cry 2 was possibly the biggest gaming disappointment of the last 10 years for me. FC3 is an absolute romp.

dont hold off on FC3 because you didnt like 2. honestly. 2 completely different games.

Did you get a Vita G-Stud? Argos had a great deal on with memory card and Little Big Planet

Was that the deal that had all 3 for £170? It went up to £200 but when I went to pick it up yesterday? Went through as £170 - happy days! Not had a shot of Little Big Planet yet, downloaded a couple of demos instead :) Any apps I should get?

TBH fuck the "story" of game, the 1st thing I always look for is the gameplay and if it has a good story than it's a bonus. I do however have a tendacy to pick up games that try to create a unique world or has a charm about them rather than the bog standard kill stuff games/FPS.