Mumford and Sons Will Headline R/L 2013

Guest cheeseisamazing

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MCR are more popular with the major demographic of Reading these days. The Cure were not.

The same happened with the Killers and Pixies a few years ago - arena packed for the killers, they finish, everyone went off to find someone more "trendy".

Had it been at a festival with an older audience then the cure would have a bigger audience than MCR every day.....

My view. The Cure ruled Reading this year.

It's different for several reasons.

First of all, although obviously there's no statistic behind the idea, I don't think it's unfair to say the average age of a Cure fan is going to be much higher than that of an MCR fan, The average age of a Cure fan is going to be signficiantly higher than that of the festival, which is going to put older people off, especially with the stories of "anarchy" (not saying it's true or not) that have come out of Reading in the past few years. This is in comparison to the average age of the MCR fanbase, which is going to be much much lower, and almost definitely in line with the demographic. I think it's quite fair to say the demographic of MCR, and the demographic of R&L will overlap greatly, meaning they should be a very attractive proposition. In my opinion, The Cure weren't booked as a day ticket seller because they knew it was a possibility their fanbase would be put off by the fest, they were booked to change the image of the festival.

Second of all, this was one of the first times MCR had headlined a major festival in UK. I realise they headlined DL, but Reading is obviously a different moment in an acts career. It's a massive moment for a band who were at that time still up and coming, and should attract people off the back of "this could go down in history for your favourite act, be there to support them." However, The Cure have headlined the majority of major festivals in this country and worldwide, as well as selling out some of the biggest venues around the world. In the scale of things, it definitely wasn't as big a deal for The Cure as it was for MCR.

Third of all, look at the line-ups on the days MCR and The Cure played. The undercard on the MCR day is very much inline with MCR. It's all acts you'd commonly associate with them and they've been involved with in the past at some stage. However, the undercard for The Cure is completely different. There's arguably nothing on that undercard which could be connected to The Cure and would be an attractive proposition. For weeks, I was 100% on getting a ticket when I knew The Cure were playing, and then the line-up was announced, and I immediately reconsidered. Not only did the line-up make me reconsider, it put me off, and that's the case for several people that I know. As pointed out, it wasn't exactly a standout event for a Cure fan, they'd headlined UK festivals recently, played big venues, and they were playing a shorter set than they normally would. In the end, I did get one but only because I was given it as a present. In a different situation, I'm not sure I could have been convinced.

No it's different because I like The Cure. Okay?

(Just to add I like MCR too wink.png)

I actually agree with you on the point about the undercard possibly putting some Cure fans off of buying a day ticket, and to a certain extent the point about The Cure not fitting the R+L demographic as well as MCR might (the flipside of that being that the older Cure fans are more likely to have the ready cash to spend on a ticket).

You do have to remember though that Leeds was the first time in about eight years that The Cure had played the north of the country, and R+L only the second occasion in that time that they'd played outside of London (to my knowledge), whereas the year MCR played, they had done a full arena tour earlier in the year to support Danger Days.

To be honest i have nothing against The Cure at all, it just irks me slightly that there's still so much MCR bashing on here when a band that the majority of people love did equally as bad, if not worse, at attracting people to the festival.

I think a lot of people who ended up watching MCR wouldnt have bought a ticket based on them playing, and were just there to see if they could pull it off. I know quite a few people who bought day tickets for the cure, and plenty who wouldnt have bought a weekend ticket if the cure werent playing, myself included (so maybe this is a little biased)

And at Leeds MCR's crowd really wasn't big, I left halfway through to go check out unkle and there was barely any crowd behind sound desk. and I came back later and got right into the front section where my girlfriend was when i returned. Can't say how big The Cure's crowd was as i was down the front and wasnt moving anywhere.

I think a lot of people who ended up watching MCR wouldnt have bought a ticket based on them playing, and were just there to see if they could pull it off. I know quite a few people who bought day tickets for the cure, and plenty who wouldnt have bought a weekend ticket if the cure werent playing, myself included (so maybe this is a little biased)

And at Leeds MCR's crowd really wasn't big, I left halfway through to go check out unkle and there was barely any crowd behind sound desk. and I came back later and got right into the front section where my girlfriend was when i returned. Can't say how big The Cure's crowd was as i was down the front and wasnt moving anywhere.

If that's the case then why book them for an outdoor festival? And like I've said, I've got nothing against them, and what I saw of them was good, I just think that maybe R+L was the wrong festival for them.It also seems that people's opinions of what makes a successful headliner change somewhat when it's a band they really like (MCR were called a failure by someone on here despite putting on a good set because they'd failed to sell day tickets out and had a small crowd, but when I proposed that the same fate might befall The Cure, I was quickly shot down and told I'd vastly underestimated what a big draw they'd be)

There bestival set going down so well with the punters? A lack of headliners around? I quite like the idea in having legendry bands play like the cure, ratm, pixies, maiden etc etc. Its good to have a mix crowd, nothing worse having just young ones or just old ones.

All we need is carter usm to play.

Because to many people are fickle and unless a band is constantly releasing albums and in the news, they get forgotten about by everyone but fans.

Anyway they will be back soon, around sub/3rd like Kaiser Chiefs for Reading. (They are a bit bigger than Kaiser Chiefs, based on they headlined the other stage at Glasto when they was last touring, and Kasiers only subbed.)

Would be ace to see them headline the NME mind!

I looking forward to seeing them come back. Been a fan since the debut album, and always put on a good show. Great set @ Glasto 2009. Personally, I would like them to continue to experiment with the electronic style of Ulysses and Lucid Dreams.

Any Idea when a new album might be released, think they mentioned earlier this year that al album would be released in 2012 - but no announcements or news after that as far as I'm aware.

Yeah I really liked most of Tonight but more so on the more electronic/dancey stuff !!..............Not sure, there are new songs about tongue.png but they are back to being secretive again really tongue.png I guess with them it's when it's ready!

Edited by plaskins

• 4 weeks later...

It begins...

http://www.nme.com/news/mumford-and-sons/66392

Someone did say (on the lines of 'but surly mumford and sons would play lots of festival dates instead of just one'

Its like saying to a kid, Would you like a couple of little cakes OR THIS MOTHERFUCKING HUGE CHOCOLATE CAKE

Admittedly some kids are special and would pick the little cakes...